Dos Niner or custom steel?- Mtbr.com
    rider

Dos Niner or custom steel?

So I'm just about to pull the trigger on a custom steel frame (geared) and I see the Dos Niner is now available. Assuming I can get the Dos Niner for $750.99 and the custom steel is around the same, what do you pick? Too early in production to sink the cash into the Salsa? If I go custom it's going to get ordered this week so I won't have the time to wait out the conclusion on the Dos.

A little history... I want a "racier" frame. I'm thinking about parking the 26" wheels for a couple of races. My Asylum's built a little heavy for racing becasue it's my trail/play bike. The Dos Niner angles are a little steeper therefore might fill the bill for a faster bike. I'd build the custom steel the same.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSwami.com
    So I'm just about to pull the trigger on a custom steel frame (geared) and I see the Dos Niner is now available. Assuming I can get the Dos Niner for $750.99 and the custom steel is around the same, what do you pick? Too early in production to sink the cash into the Salsa? If I go custom it's going to get ordered this week so I won't have the time to wait out the conclusion on the Dos.

A little history... I want a "racier" frame. I'm thinking about parking the 26" wheels for a couple of races. My Asylum's built a little heavy for racing becasue it's my trail/play bike. The Dos Niner angles are a little steeper therefore might fill the bill for a faster bike. I'd build the custom steel the same.
    If it's going to primarily be a race bike I say go with the salsa. If you can get it for 750 that's a steal! If it sucks you can always sell it on here for a little less and then go custom.

Again, that advice is only in regards to a race bike.

If you want a do it all bike I'd go with a custom steel hardtail.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    for $750, Walt can build you a sweet frame set up the way you want it.

For me, that would be the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    If it's going to primarily be a race bike I say go with the salsa. If you can get it for 750 that's a steal! If it sucks you can always sell it on here for a little less and then go custom.

Again, that advice is only in regards to a race bike.

If you want a do it all bike I'd go with a custom steel hardtail.

B

Cold. Blue. Steel.

can't beat custom

Walt's frames start at $700. and he makes each one for the individual buyer. that is worth a ton of points on the "i love how my bike rides" meter.

i trust Salsa as a company, and i am happy they are on board with frames. though i have never really understood the "soft tail" idea on any bike. why add the expense, weight and maintenance of a shock for so little in return? get a custom steel frame built for you and your riding style/needs and you won't need anything else!

i am starting my process with Walt right now...
    Spinning and Grinning...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Custom steel. No question for me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No Reputation!

It would be nice to support Salsa

It would be nice to support Salsa and the bike is light for a softtail but I figgin' LOVE my steel bike. Plus with the softail design you get the chain tension compressing the suspension right at the point where your weight compresses the suspension and you could get some bobbing while pedalling. I guess for me it would be harder if the salsa was a regular hardtail with "hi-tech" tubing. As it is it seems like custom steel is the best way to go. <-note, this is an opinion only...
    Last edited by Fastskiguy; 02-03-2005 at 07:03 PM. Reason: just sounded really stupid before

rider
    I was leaning towards the custom steel to begin with. I've been planning on going that way for a couple of weeks. I've reached out to Walt and Curtlo. They're both in the same price range. Walt gave me a lot of valuable input and it's obvious that his dedication and knowledge makes him a desirable builder and has also made his wait list pretty long. I wish I could wait it out but I'm flawed with impatience. I want to race this bike and time is running out (my procrastination to blame). A good reason for my consideration of the Salsa was the tight geometry and the instant gratification of getting the frame quickly, 3-5 days and it's mine. As far as softails go, I own an Ibis Ripley and it's a superb riding/handling bike even though it's a 26. I do like the softail concept in general, Ive never felt a loss of climbing power, the extra weight and maintenance is minimal, but then again, I am talking about the Ibis (which is probably the best execution of a softail ever), not the unproven Salsa.

Anyone want to talk me into the Salsa? The Dos Niner thought is still in my head but custom steel is in the lead. I'm thinking more and more about the "custom steel love factor".

paintbucket
    I was going to mention the time factor since no one else had. To me its a no brainer if time isn't in the equation: custom all the way. But if it is, that makes the Salsa much more desireable. Given your timeframe I agree with donkey. Get the Salsa now and if it doesn't work out sell it and go for steel.

Another consideration is fit obviously. I'm lucky in that production frames have always been a good fit for me. I'm average for my height I guess. So I don't feel the need to go custom. You've got the numbers on the Salsa, so the question is, do they work for you?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

No Reputation!

Well how about....

Lighter (probably), has suspension, can get it quicker, no more expensive, it'll never rust, and it supports a company trying to get something going in the 29" universe. Having a steel bike this is difficult for me but with steel you have hundred year old technology, it'll take awhile to get, resale might be not so great (custom geometry for you but not for anybody else, right?), it could rust, no suspension, and it'll probably be heavier (mine is 4.5#'s).

Hey just trying to help

Recovering couch patato
    Custom was there when we (our pioneers) started riding bikes, and will still be here when the 29" fad passes. Way cool, gotta have one some day, but in your position I'd be all over the Salsa. Actually considering it for my XC racing. In many ways, the Dos Niner makes sense to me.

-Normally least important to me, but these graphics are so cool they make it my first point
    -Indeed, probably a bit lighter than an affordable steel frame
    -I can only imagine how custom steel must ride compared to my halleluya-rated cheapass Surly, and I've never ridden a proper softtail my size, but the Salsa has got to be more comfortable at high speed while offering that little bit of extra traction when you need it.
    -That price...short delivery...almost too good to be true.
    -Yes, we need an affordable scandium geared race hardtail. But that doesn't make a softtail a bad plan for now, not at all, at least to me.
    Wow, imagine I could swap all the parts on my Fisher to a Dos Niner before the next weekend...gotta take a second job :-(

Klok - XC - Skate - Ski