Do You Own a Titus Riddler or Salsa Ala Carte?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2004

Do You Own a Titus Riddler or Salsa Ala Carte?

If so, I'd love to hear your feedback on these two bikes!

After hours of research, I've boiled it down to these two frames. The geometry of both seem right for the type of ride I'm looking for --- 15 - 25 miles of combo trail and road. Looking for comfort.

Thanks all. I appreciate all the feedback you have provided.

Susan

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have a Titus Riddler and love it. I bought the frame to upgrade a Fisher Hardtail and the ride difference between the Titus and the Fisher is unreal. The Riddler feels almost like a softtail the way it eats up vibrations, but is still stiff in the bottom bracket and light. The fisher used to make me cringe at square edged bumps. I honestly thought I was done with hardtails (I have a Turner Burner as my other mountain bike) but now ride the Riddler more than the Turner. I looked at the Al La Cart but didn't like the Geometry of the bike for my build.

BTW, My build weighs 24.75 pounds without lightweight parts and including slimed tubes. I would highly recommend the Riddler with a suggestion you get a quote from Chad @ redbarnbicycles, a regular on this board. He gave me a fantastic price on the Frame, fork and headset. Here is a pict:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Sep 2004

Sweet ride

Wow ... that is one sweet bike you have CDMC! I appreciate your feedback and the recommendation (Chad). What fork/headset did you go with?

Also, what exactly didn't you like about the Salsa? The geometry of the two bikes seems somewhat similar to me, athough I think the standover on the Salsa may be a bit too high in my case.

How tall are you and what size Riddler frame did you go with?

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I have a Titus Riddler and love it. I bought the frame to upgrade a Fisher Hardtail and the ride difference between the Titus and the Fisher is unreal. The Riddler feels almost like a softtail the way it eats up vibrations, but is still stiff in the bottom bracket and light. The fisher used to make me cringe at square edged bumps. I honestly thought I was done with hardtails (I have a Turner Burner as my other mountain bike) but now ride the Riddler more than the Turner. I looked at the Al La Cart but didn't like the Geometry of the bike for my build.

BTW, My build weighs 24.75 pounds without lightweight parts and including slimed tubes. I would highly recommend the Riddler with a suggestion you get a quote from Chad @ redbarnbicycles, a regular on this board. He gave me a fantastic price on the Frame, fork and headset. Here is a pict:

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    There were two things that didn't work on me with the Salsa frames. First, to get the toptube length I wanted (24.0 inches or so), I had to go to their largest frame which moved me up to a 6" headtube, likely putting my bars to high. Also, I didn't like that they used a 17" chainstay instead of more normal 16.7". Doesn't sound like a lot but it significantly affects that handling (slower and more stable).

I am 6' tall and went with the large riddler because of the 24" toptube (what is about right for me). Make sure you fit your bike by toptube length, ignore standover clearance past making sure you have enough. For a fork I used Manitou Skareb Elite 80mm, which is very plush feeling and works well with the bike. It does bob more than my old Sid XC fork out of the saddle, but the difference in plushness more than makes up for it. Headset is a Cane Creek, works great. Note that when I built the frame, I had to have the headtube and bottom bracket chased and faced. A minor inconvience, and something that should really be done for any build, but worth noting because I haven't had to do it with other bikes.

Finally, I cannot empahasise the quality of the ride of the frame. It simply eats up square edged bumps and road chatter, the same way steel bikes are supposed to. I believe it is the combination of 6069 Aluminum, which is supposed to be a springy aluminium and careful tube design by Titus.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

hang on a tick...

I hate to be a devil's advocate, but what about a Interloc Tempest Frame ? They are about the same price (at least at Speedgoat) and it has similar geometry but with a shorter chainstay (than the other two) to help in climbing. Better yet, the frame is much lighter than the Salsa but is still 853 steel.
    this space left intentionally blank

Go faster

I ride a Salsa Ala Carte

The frame is nice, it works for me. The ride quality is great, the salsa is a fun, fast riding bike. A steel hardtail does have a really nice ride quality to it, but it does not feel like a soft-tail. I got this frame because my GT Idrive cracked, and it was a big change going to a hardtail, but the bike seems quicker. I am upgrading to a Castellano Fango in the next month because I have ridden one and it rides like a dream. When I get the Fango, I plan to build up my Ala Carte as a SS. One thing about the ala carte, if you get a fox fork, the anodized caps will knock the cable stops on the down tube. I had to do some customizing for my fork not to damage my frame. The Salsa is a sturdy ride, and I will continue to ride it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a salsa ala carte. I am surprised at how much I love this bike. I guess it rides better than the old litespeed obed I used to have. Surprisingly the salsa is more compliant.

The Salsa has one character quirk, its bottom bracket is rather low, almost an inch lower than my bontrager. This is good for fast descents and corners as it makes it very stable. It is bad for pedalling over rocks. I cycle in rocky areas and are happy to make the compromise

But the salsa has one major drawback: its paint is really cheesy. I am really disappointed with it. Despite a chainstay protector the chainstay on mine is really ugly looking.

Personally I think the ride is good enough to make up for this shortcoming. But really I would expect just about any well thought out 853 framed bike to ride pretty well