Dear Salsa, please stop painting your Ti Frames- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Dear Salsa, please stop painting your Ti Frames

Pretty please?

Why the paint on Titanium frames? The first year models with the simple logo were so beautiful, why add the half color? Anybody feel this way or am I the only one?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja View Post
    Pretty please?

Why the paint on Titanium frames? The first year models with the simple logo were so beautiful, why add the half color? Anybody feel this way or am I the only one?
    Why paint the Ti frames? I'll tell you why, and your post is verification of this......

Every time you see a half painted Ti frame, what brand is it? Right? Salsa, that's who. Brand recognition in a sea of grey metal titanium bicycle frames means a lot.

My '12 Mukluk titanium frame is similar to every other titanium fat bike frame out there from more than ten feet away, but the newer, half painted ones are definitely Salsa frames. From a marketing standpoint, I get it.

You are not the only one that doesn't like this, and I initially hated them. However, while not all of them are attractive to my eye, several look pretty cool to me now.

From a practical standpoint, as an adventuring tool, I like the raw titanium look. Not because I think it looks cool, but because it is easier to take care of. No scratched paint, no issues rubbing out a greasy patch of mud for fear of marring a powder coat job, and no worries about frame bags rubbing through a finish. Otherwise, I don't mind some of the painted stuff.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I have a friend that runs a little company that sells titanium bolts for BMX bikes. He does a color called "TI dye" that would look AMAZING on a frame. Might be impractical for something that big though.

Dear Salsa, please stop painting your Ti Frames-tidye.jpg

Graveyard Shift
    I actually love the look, when I get my custom carver built up I'm going to do something very similar with it afterwards.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    From a practical standpoint, as an adventuring tool, I like the raw titanium look. Not because I think it looks cool, but because it is easier to take care of. No scratched paint, no issues rubbing out a greasy patch of mud for fear of marring a powder coat job, and no worries about frame bags rubbing through a finish. Otherwise, I don't mind some of the painted stuff.
    People worry about frame bags rubbing through paint and cleaning the mud off ruining the powder coat?

Really?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I agree with OP, Salsa has some really cool paint colors. Just don't like the half/half look. I have the first El Mar SS in gold and love it. I would buy a EL Mar Ti if it wasn't half/half look.

Salsa: why not use paint just for the salsa name on the downtube and clearcoat the rest.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Big fan of the raw metal and etched logo. I recently got a 2013 Fargo Ti and am absolutely loving it. Now I'm trying to find a matching one for my spouse and and having a hell of a time scouring eBay/CL/etc. If the current models weren't painted she'd just order one from the shop and be done with it. It's annoying because I really want her to get one so we can go ride some dirt together!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    People worry about frame bags rubbing through paint and cleaning the mud off ruining the powder coat?

Really?
    Many riders with frame bags use helicopter tape, or equivalent, on their frames where the frame bag straps contact the frame. So, yeah......I guess so, eh?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post

Salsa: why not use paint just for the salsa name on the downtube and clearcoat the rest.
    I feel that they could use a system like Bontrager did which was a vinyl decal that looked like a panel paint job. I would submit that this could be removed by the owner for the cleaner, non-painted look. Something like they do with the Vaya Travel.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Many riders with frame bags use helicopter tape, or equivalent, on their frames where the frame bag straps contact the frame. So, yeah......I guess so, eh?
    Guess I never take the frame bag off to wash and wax and polish the frame. Who knew!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja View Post
    Pretty please?

I LOOOOVVVEEE Firefly´s anodizing details in a titanium raw frame!!!

Firefly Bicycles | World-class bicycles, handmade in Boston, Mass.

Dear Salsa, please stop painting your Ti Frames-fireflys-allroad-tourer-7.jpg
    Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

Human Test Subject
    I like the painted Ti. Keep painting, Salsa.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    I like the current painted scheme. I have a Moots which is raw, and It looks great, but these Salsa frames are a really nice touch. i like it
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I have a friend that runs a little company that sells titanium bolts for BMX bikes. He does a color called "TI dye" that would look AMAZING on a frame. Might be impractical for something that big though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tidye.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	962259
    Moots used to do that to frames back in the 90's. Or at least, I saw a Moots or two like that, maybe it was done aftermarket. Used to be able to get "Ti-dyed" titanium spokes too...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    C'mon. Whats not to like?*

* I may be slightly biased.

mtbr member
    Attachment 963227

If it wasn't painted how would I have know what color dry bags to buy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I couldn't agree more with the OP. I don't like the look of the half painted frames at all and part of the allure of a Ti frame is not having to worry about scratched paint. If I had the money I'd love a bare Ti frame and I'd give it some personality with anodized parts, colored bar tape, frame bags, etc.

I do see that Salsa like to be a little different/quirky though. Some of the colors they use are hideous in my opinion, but they sure stand out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have had a number of ti frames in the past which were bare finish, and I have also had a past black sheep that was partially painted black. For me the semi painted frames look unique while the bare ti finish frames just fade into a sea of grey. To each their own I suppose, right? I am looking at a 2015 ti Fargo and would not be as interested if it wasnt a partially painted frame.

old and slow
    Kind of bothered me for about a minute, but I got over it. Why worry about straps damaging a paint job you didn't like in the first place? Especially since it won't lead to a rust problem or any such concern. Consider it an improvement and customization. Ride and Smile.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wonder if removing the paint would void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Didn't see this originally, but have to say that when I saw the first 1/2 painted Ti Fatbike from Salsa it had me wondering what I could do to afford one, looked absolutely fantastic. Thing is, they leave raw where would normally get rubs and scratches anyways, so win/win to me. And, just look at this stunning example of one, true bike PrOn Only thing I think maybe they could change is make the paint on the DT not end square to the tubing, keep it vertical to the ground to match the one on the TT.

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    C'mon. Whats not to like?*

* I may be slightly biased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Didn't see this originally, but have to say that when I saw the first 1/2 painted Ti Fatbike from Salsa it had me wondering what I could do to afford one, looked absolutely fantastic. Thing is, they leave raw where would normally get rubs and scratches anyways, so win/win to me. And, just look at this stunning example of one, true bike PrOn Only thing I think maybe they could change is make the paint on the DT not end square to the tubing, keep it vertical to the ground to match the one on the TT.
    I totally agree. I love their painted Ti frames, and the one thing they could do to make it look even better is give the appearance of the frame having been dipped in paint, head first.

mtbr member
    Count me in with the non-painted side of the fence. The appeal of bare Ti for me is the minimal maintenance needed to keep it looking good (especially in brushed finish). I can see GT's point on marketing though - and that's all well and good. But to me, it detracts from the look. I will concede, though, that a cool painted or vinyl panel on the downtube would be a gorgeous look on the Ti frame if visual appeal/unique-ness was the objective.

ps. It would be awesome if Salsa offered a bare Ti as a frame only option.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I agree. I always liked the timeless beauty of a Ti frame. I have two older Lynskey-built Salsa Ti frames that I really enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk