Dear Salsa- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dear Salsa

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Dear Salsa

Today, I bought my first non-Salsa bike, breaking my run of seven.

I pre-ordered this - http://cog.konaworld.com/archives/7997

Please make a bike like this, so I can buy one from you

Thanks for all my other cool bikes though

Adam

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Find an El Mariachi.

rth009
    May 2010
    from my cursory review, the only thing this has the El Mar doesnt is clearance for 2.4 tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a red 08-09, and it came stock with 2.55s. Plenty clearance.

rth009
    May 2010
    yeah, my mistake, Im thinking El Mar Ti, which is pretty slim clearancewith Ardent 2.25s

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    from my cursory review, the only thing this has the El Mar doesnt is clearance for 2.4 tires.
    I'm not into a bike like the Honzo but it seems to have a few distinct differences than the El Mariachi:

1. ISCG tabs for mounting a chain guide or Hammerschmidt crank.
    2. Slacked head tube angle (68 deg vs. 71 or 72 deg for El Mar) for stability on technical drops.
    3. Head tube diameter is large enough to accept 1.5" tapered steerer forks.
    4. Chainstays are much shorter on the Kona 415mm vs. 445mm-462mm for El Mar (depending on alternator placement).

Again the Kona is definitely not my cup of tea but there are definite differences between the Honzo and El Mariachi. Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Not sure how well that Kona would fit into the all day/multiple day Adventure by Bike mantra.

Can't be everything to everyone, gotta pick your specialty, and salsa has, and does it very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah not like an El Mar at all, and I agree, maybe not Salsa's kind of bike to make.... I just felt weird not getting a Salsa, it's been ages since I had a non-Salsa bike Thought I'd ask

Really needed a short ride (3 or four hours) hard hitter though, and happy I found this.

Just so you know, I plan to ride it here - ‪go pro oxford falls hc/tc‬‏ - YouTube - though I'll be taking the B-Line on the biggest one or two....

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Not sure how well that Kona would fit into the all day/multiple day Adventure by Bike mantra.

Can't be everything to everyone, gotta pick your specialty, and salsa has, and does it very well.
    While agree salsa has a bias toward the adventure end of the stick I have an 07' and 08' El mariachi and they are far more versatile a bike to get pigeon holed into a adventure category
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    While agree salsa has a bias toward the adventure end of the stick I have an 07' and 08' El mariachi and they are far more versatile a bike to get pigeon holed into a adventure category

In my mind, Versatility is a prerequisite to Adventure.

I didn't say the El mar was not versatile, i did imply that the Kona wan't as versatile as the average Salsa.

BTW, the El Mar take both 1st & 2nd at this years Tour Divide. That is too cool, and proves it's versatility.

poser Administrator
    I too like the Kona Honzo but I think it would as a supplement for my El Mar, for when I feel like hitting the super technical downhill rides and not mucking up my El Mar or for when i really feel like letting it rip on the descents.

If salsa had a bike similar to this in their line up, stout frame, short chainstays, slack HA and dropper post compatibility it would definitely be my next bike cause sometime you just want to change things up.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ^^ What he said.... I ride mt Fargo or my Mukluk everywhere. Sometimes though, I just want to go for a 2 hour smashfest on my local, supertech trails

Fargo is still gonna be my favourite bike evers.....

djw
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would also like to see something with shorter stays to replace my SIR9 someday. The El Mar is too close in geometry to the SIR for me to switch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How much does that Kona weigh in at? I read somewhere that it comes in at 30+ lbs complete beefy steel frame to ride all day. I'd go for a canfeild yelli screamy or a banshee paradox; aluminum but still around 27lbs complete.