Deadwood Redux- Mtbr.com

Thread: Deadwood Redux

Ambassador of Chub

Deadwood Redux

"The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Looks like a fun bike for the southwest. For the same weight/price you could ride a more efficient full squish 29er, so I can only imagine this being worth it if you were spending a lot of time grinding through sandy terrain, and if that is what you're doing a hardtail might be sufficient.

Still, I'll be curious to see how people use these.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

Ambassador of Chub
    This rig is for a lot more than sand. I can see this bike excelling in lots of places. Based on the specs, I'll say it will eat terrain for breakfast that would have you working harder on a skinny 29er.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I love the paint jobs on this bike series more than anything. There are a lot of unique touches to the link point that give it a lot of character. The price is a little heavy, but probably to be expected. Definitely not one that I could ever afford to add to the stable.

Would love to demo one though!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Looks like a fun bike for the southwest. For the same weight/price you could ride a more efficient full squish 29er, so I can only imagine this being worth it if you were spending a lot of time grinding through sandy terrain, and if that is what you're doing a hardtail might be sufficient.

Still, I'll be curious to see how people use these.
    Well, speaking only for myself, I would say that this bike, with two wheel sets, would cover a lot of ground. (No pun intended)

First wheel set would be stock and I would use it as my severe terrain exploration/Xc-ish bike. The second set would be mounted up with 2.4"-2.5" 29"er wheels and would do everything else I would ever need a FS bike for in the Mid-West.

I don't feel that the current "dual wheel set" bikes which use 650B + wheels/29'er wheels is what would be right for what I would want to do with them.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ride a Horsethief and a Krampus , boy did they make this bike just for me? This seems to hit a real sweet spot for me, I love the rollover of the 29+ and split pivot really works on the Horsethief. With the plus tires 91mm of rear travel should be fine for me. Quality travel and extra traction. 35 mm rims would work with 2.4" tires as well so you won't need an extra wheelset if you don't want plus size for some reason.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    I ride a Horsethief and a Krampus , boy did they make this bike just for me? This seems to hit a real sweet spot for me, I love the rollover of the 29+ and split pivot really works on the Horsethief. With the plus tires 91mm of rear travel should be fine for me. Quality travel and extra traction. 35 mm rims would work with 2.4" tires as well so you won't need an extra wheelset if you don't want plus size for some reason.
    Good point on the width of the rims. In light of that, I wouldn't even need another wheel set, unless it was an upgraded one.

In light of the reasons why I would ever get a 29+ wheeled FS bike though, I have to say that for the money a Lenz Sport Behemoth 29+ FS bike would be far more capable and maneuverable than this Deadwood, based on the suspension travel and geometry: Fat Behemoth - 29+ or 27.5+ - Lenz Sport
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    For the same weight/price you could ride a more efficient full squish 29er,
    So is it a foregone conclusion that 29+ tire has more rolling resistance than a standard width 29 tire?

IF that is the case, I would argue that this should not be accepted as fact.

If it's the added weight for a given price you're discussing, then yes...for certain race type situations this could be slower.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    If it's the added weight for a given price you're discussing, then yes...for certain race type situations this could be slower.
    I'm just a random dude on the internet, but having used both a hardtail 29+ and a full squish 29 I definitely noticed the difference in the rotational weight of the wheels. Overall weight doesn't matter much at all, but rotational weight does matter every time you're accelerating. On technical stuff where you're constantly pausing and then attacking 29+ saps energy out of you faster than standard 29ers. Might be worth it for the other benefits though, it all depends on what kind of riding you are doing.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    I'm just a random dude on the internet, but having used both a hardtail 29+ and a full squish 29 I definitely noticed the difference in the rotational weight of the wheels. Overall weight doesn't matter much at all, but rotational weight does matter every time you're accelerating. On technical stuff where you're constantly pausing and then attacking 29+ saps energy out of you faster than standard 29ers. Might be worth it for the other benefits though, it all depends on what kind of riding you are doing.
    Agreed. Just over the last 3 years I've had regular 29ers, 26ers, fatbike, 29+ on my fatbike...

With 60tpi Dirt Wizards I can really feel it. Maybe not as bad as full fat, but feels way less quick than the 29er xc hardtail I had a couple years back. But I think 29+ is just more fun.

Human Test Subject
    If they used a smaller wheel size they could then make use of wider tires with more air volume with similar outer diameters to 29+.

I'd call them "large wheel bikes"

mnt bike laws of physics
    I actually do not notice the lack of acceleration so much on a 29+ because I almost always carry more speed through the corners and over chunk.

What I do notice on my Krampus (both my FS rigs have 29+ front only) is the huge rolling resistance of any capable rear 29+ tire. The 60tpi DW being the most capable.

I personally don't have a lot of sand where I live now in western NC (just moved from NM), but a FS 29+ could be very fun and capable (esp. with shorter travel like this one) rolling over chunk and just keeping up traction wise with the 29+ front end. I totally love the 2.4"/3.0" combo I've been running on my longer travel FS bikes. It is absolutely mind blowing and with minimal added rolling resistance when it counts on the climbs because most weight is on the rear. I usually don't have any problem traction wise with my choices of rear tires on climbs, but cornering would be noticeably improved in leaves and just the insane stuff I could climb with the Deadwood FS with a tire like the DHR would be amazing. I ride my Krampus a lot and really enjoy that bike. But I am getting older and my back suffers more than it used to. I'm thinking this could add just enough cush and still be just as light. The Krampus is a pretty heavy frame. But Damn, it's so stiff laterally which is most of why it's so fun.....it rails like a mofo! Would have to demo before putting too much thought into it....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    edit: whoops! i posted some stuff about the rigid deadwood, not the new one...
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone on here own a Deadwood Sus? Can you put up a pic with 29x2.4(ish) tires set up? Curious to see what this thing looks like without the plus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Has anyone demoed the mid Deadwood SUS model (orange/red)? All I see is out of stock.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Demoed one at tamarancho. Loved it. Dealer and salsa guy confirmed it really is the spearfish boosted and slacker. It is in my top 5 for next bike. Climbing was easy and I felt I did not need more travel. Demo was the mid range. Rode the pony rustler and it felt dull and slow.

Dec 2005
    deleted
    Last edited by threesixeight; 06-23-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Dec 2005
    deleted
    Last edited by threesixeight; 06-22-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Dec 2005
    deleted
    Last edited by threesixeight; 06-22-2017 at 03:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just read a story about upgrading the Deadwood SUS and the writer mention that new Deadwood SUS will have a 120 fork.

Anyone have any info on the new model?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey folks,

Looking for recommendations for some "standard width" 29" tires to put on my Deadwood Sus. Looking at the Maxxis DHF/DHR in 2.5/2.4 WT options, potentially 2.4 Ardents F&R, or a more true-to-size Schwalbe Nobby Nic in 2.4 (2.6 if those ever show up in stock...).

I'm a little worried about the drop in bottom bracket height, especially with Maxxis tires. Anyone running something like this?