Deadwood CaneCreek DB Air IL compatibility <edited>- Mtbr.com
    Doer of Awesome

Deadwood CaneCreek DB Air IL compatibility <edited>

I have been gradually trying to upgrade my Deadwood and one area that always kind of stood out to me is wanting a more adjustable rear shock. It is only a 91 mm bike so I wanted to make sure that I can use what little it has to its best potential. So I bought a CaneCreek DB Air IL due to its ability to adjust virtually every aspect of it without having to break it down and adjust shim stacks. It came today, but I am discovering I am having issues fitting it on the bike. The Deadwood has an awkward cable tie down point almost directly over the rear shock mount. Setting the shock up in its normal configuration with the air can at the bottom would not work at all because the air can hits the cable mount and wont even fit fully extended. No problem ... I just flipped it around, installed my bushings on the other side and ran it upside down. Everything mounted right up and everything looked good .... until I tried to cycle the suspension. The arc of the travel puts the shock hitting that same cable guide. So basically, in its stock form, the Cane Creek DB Air IL shock is NOT compatible with the Deadwood frame (at least in a size medium). <My question is, can I eliminate that cable guide? It's a carbon frame and I don't even know where to begin with this. Will it compromise the integrity of the rest of the frame by removing it? Can I seal up the frame where it was removed (assuming it gets cut off and ground down smooth) Am I better off just abandoning this new shock and have to live with the Monarch that came with it? I could really use some input here. > Never Mind .... I just did a TON of measuring and remeasuring and even without the cablestay, it will hit ... This shock is simply not compatible with this frame <EDIT EDIT: I decided to just go for it. The cable guide is useless to me anyway so why not? Dremeled it off, mounted up the shock bushings and bolted it all up and it fit!! It's tight but does not rub or touch and cycles through it full stroke with no issues. So I aired it up, followed the app for setup, set my sag and took it for a spin outside. It felt AMAZING! Well, as amazing as a shock can feel in a parking lot at 11:00 at night. I'll know more once I actually get it on a trail and stay to actually tune it >
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deadwood CaneCreek DB Air IL compatibility &lt;edited&gt;-img_4208.jpg  

Deadwood CaneCreek DB Air IL compatibility &lt;edited&gt;-img_8992.jpg  

Deadwood CaneCreek DB Air IL compatibility &lt;edited&gt;-7a3313bc-4a30-4b67-acc8-d1363b556cce.jpg  

Last edited by SuperUltraKel; 02-14-2020 at 12:11 PM.

bipedal
    SuperUltraKel - I've used the Cane Creek DB Air IL shock on other bikes, and it's a fine shock. One I like even more is the Manitou McLeod, and the good news is that it easily fits the Deadwood single pivot linkage. The cable tie mount is well above the shock shaft and the shock body does not make contact at full compression. You can also set up the McLeod with a handy remote lever. The pic below is of my Large frame, but mrs levity also uses a McLeod on her Small Deadwood. (You can click on the pic to zoom in.)

Deadwood CaneCreek DB Air IL compatibility &lt;edited&gt;-deadwood.jpg

There's plenty of discussion about the McLeod shock in this very extensive thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...ck-956836.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperUltraKel View Post
    I have been gradually trying to upgrade my Deadwood and one area that always kind of stood out to me is wanting a more adjustable rear shock. It is only a 91 mm bike so I wanted to make sure that I can use what little it has to its best potential. So I bought a CaneCreek DB Air IL due to its ability to adjust virtually every aspect of it without having to break it down and adjust shim stacks. It came today, but I am discovering I am having issues fitting it on the bike. The Deadwood has an awkward cable tie down point almost directly over the rear shock mount. Setting the shock up in its normal configuration with the air can at the bottom would not work at all because the air can hits the cable mount and wont even fit fully extended. No problem ... I just flipped it around, installed my bushings on the other side and ran it upside down. Everything mounted right up and everything looked good .... until I tried to cycle the suspension. The arc of the travel puts the shock hitting that same cable guide. So basically, in its stock form, the Cane Creek DB Air IL shock is NOT compatible with the Deadwood frame (at least in a size medium). <My question is, can I eliminate that cable guide? It's a carbon frame and I don't even know where to begin with this. Will it compromise the integrity of the rest of the frame by removing it? Can I seal up the frame where it was removed (assuming it gets cut off and ground down smooth) Am I better off just abandoning this new shock and have to live with the Monarch that came with it? I could really use some input here. > Never Mind .... I just did a TON of measuring and remeasuring and even without the cablestay, it will hit ... This shock is simply not compatible with this frame <EDIT EDIT: I decided to just go for it. The cable guide is useless to me anyway so why not? Dremeled it off, mounted up the shock bushings and bolted it all up and it fit!! It's tight but does not rub or touch and cycles through it full stroke with no issues. So I aired it up, followed the app for setup, set my sag and took it for a spin outside. It felt AMAZING! Well, as amazing as a shock can feel in a parking lot at 11:00 at night. I'll know more once I actually get it on a trail and stay to actually tune it >
    I had to do the same thing with my Spearfish though I have the damper forward so it is easier to toggle the climb-switch. Great shock. I run most of the adjustment pretty far open, HSC 1 1/4 turns,LSC 6 clicks, HSR 1 1/2 turns, LSR 8 clicks and adjust the climb-switch to slow it down,kind of an adjustable platform.

Doer of Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post
    I had to do the same thing with my Spearfish though I have the damper forward so it is easier to toggle the climb-switch. Great shock. I run most of the adjustment pretty far open, HSC 1 1/4 turns,LSC 6 clicks, HSR 1 1/2 turns, LSR 8 clicks and adjust the climb-switch to slow it down,kind of an adjustable platform.
    I just tried it that direction and there is no way ... It just doesn't have the clearance. As for the tune, I'm starting with the app recommendations and getting a Shockwiz on it tomorrow. We'll see where it ends up 😉