Deadwood build- Mtbr.com

Thread: Deadwood build

Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Deadwood build

This bike makes no sense to me but after a test ride I'm in love. Im having a hard time finding one in XL though, test ride was a size down but still a blast. The XL frames are more plentiful so before I consider having one built, some questions.

Has anyone built a Deadwood with a 1 X 11? And how about hydraulic disc brakes instead of manual and a 180mm disc up front instead of the 160? Those are three items I didn't care for in the factory package.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    No experience with this bike, so can't help you, but I am considering picking up the stock model this fall. I like the versatility of being able to run 3 inch rubber on what is essentially a stouter fargo for sandy desert routes in AZ. For general bikepacking you can still run 2.4 tires, and the Cobra Kai tubing should be less flexy with heavier loads. As for your concerns, I like the mechanical disc brakes for a remote route, adventure bike. While not overly powerful, they work fine in most situations. Larger rotor up front makes a lot of sense. That's how I have my fatbike with bb7s set up. I haven't ridden 1X11, so no informed opinion on that subject. I like the idea of one less mech, but fear I might miss the closer gear steps of 2x.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    This bike makes no sense to me but after a test ride I'm in love. Im having a hard time finding one in XL though, test ride was a size down but still a blast. The XL frames are more plentiful so before I consider having one built, some questions.

Has anyone built a Deadwood with a 1 X 11? And how about hydraulic disc brakes instead of manual and a 180mm disc up front instead of the 160? Those are three items I didn't care for in the factory package.
    Can you elaborate about what kind of terrain you tackled on your test ride and what you loved about the bike?
    Veni vidi velo!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Can you elaborate about what kind of terrain you tackled on your test ride and what you loved about the bike?
    Honestly, the test ride was just curb jumping in my LBS's parkinglot. But, I loved the feel and response of the combination drop bar and fatty tires. I scored one in my size from a member here that offered his to me, excellent transaction. And today I took it on its maiden voyage. It climbs gravel like it's got a motor, awesome transfer of energy from legs to road. It was fast and sure footed on all the double trac I threw at it. Its only shortcoming wasn't a surprise, downhill technical. Think cyclo-cross monster on steroids. This will be my go to gravel grinder when the trails are too wet for my other bikes.
    Last edited by FatTireGoose; 04-08-2016 at 04:59 AM.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This bike makes no sense to me but after a test ride I'm in love
    this makes perfect sense to me. The bike looks like an anomaly. It also looks like a blast

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose
    those are absolutely changes I'd make. If I were to build one up, I'd go with SRAM hydros, 180/160, an X01 Eagle 10-50t, and I'd probably go for a carbon wheelset to offset the weight of the frame, sell the Scrapers, and probably Chupacabra in rear and Dirt Wizard up front.
    just ride.

Birthday Collector
    An easy "Hydraulic" upgrade for the bike is to put on the TRP HY/RD units. Still keep the mechanical brake/shifters and just replace the calipers. They work amazingly well and don't require all the expense of a new brifter set and running hydraulic lines on a bike that you might crash a long way from anywhere... Easy to repair a cable on the trail, not so much a hydraulic line. One of the reasons that Salsa specs mechanical discs on a lot of their "adventure" oriented bikes.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    very good point ATB
    just ride.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I'm okay with the stock brake set up but I found out I didn't care for the drop bars, way too sketchy for me in the drops on single trac descents. So on a tip here at mtbr, I got me some Jones Bars. Haven't ridden with them yet, hoping to this weekend.

Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    FatTireGoose, I'm thinking about picking up a fargo in the near future. I believe frames are similar between fargo and deadwood. I wanted to get your take on frame sizing and the woodchipper bars. I'm 6'4" around 300 lbs. I fall in between LG and xlg and I usually go lg. Wanted to see what made you go xlg.

Also, I'm learning that I don't really like drop bars. They seem too narrow for me. I think I'd have to bring the stem up a lot to make the flared drops usefull.

So I'm just picking your brain on the subject as I have salsa dealers near me, but none stock the fargo so I can't test ride before hand. That deadwood is sweet by the way!! Wish I had a purpose for 29+.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i'm 5'9, own 2 fargos, and i could fit a L. Fargos are a good bit...eh...."tight" as far as fitting. If you're typically on the line, size-wise, "round up"
    just ride.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by jbandt View Post
    I think I'd have to bring the stem up a lot to make the flared drops usefull.
    You generally do have to bring the bar height up a fair bit to make them comfortable for off-road use. Many people I see running drops on Fargos and similar bikes are running them at appropriate heights for road riding, but not high enough for off-road riding, imo. The drops should really place your hands at the same height they would be on a flat bar, not below, which means the top of the drop bar needs to be considerably higher.

Even so, they are obviously not for everyone.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    FWIW, I use an angled stem, I think it's a 15* stem, angled upward, to get my Fargo drops into the proper config for me, and even then, I think I'd like them higher
    just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    You generally do have to bring the bar height up a fair bit to make them comfortable for off-road use. Many people I see running drops on Fargos and similar bikes are running them at appropriate heights for road riding, but not high enough for off-road riding, imo. The drops should really place your hands at the same height they would be on a flat bar, not below, which means the top of the drop bar needs to be considerably higher.

This is what makes me nervous about pulling the trigger without being able to test ride. I really wouldn't want have pay more money for bars and shifters if it turned out I didn't like the woodchippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    i'm 5'9, own 2 fargos, and i could fit a L. Fargos are a good bit...eh...."tight" as far as fitting. If you're typically on the line, size-wise, "round up"
    This is why I wish I could test one or at least test something with similar geometry. One shop has LG el mar that I want to test as it's the closest thing I can find to the fargo. I suppose that if I went lg it would be easier to adj bigger than go xlg and not be able to get small enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I know bars/types of bars are personal preference, but I also could never truly warm up to the drop bars on my Fargo. Too narrow and the stem had already been cut....I switched to some OnOne Mary's I had laying around and have liked them a lot. Jones bars look good.

Deadwood looks like a cool bike!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Love the Jonesbars, love this bike!

Pisgah Forest NC

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    FatTireGoose, I'm thinking about picking up a fargo in the near future. I believe frames are similar between fargo and deadwood. I wanted to get your take on frame sizing and the woodchipper bars. I'm 6'4" around 300 lbs. I fall in between LG and xlg and I usually go lg. Wanted to see what made you go xlg.

Also, I'm learning that I don't really like drop bars. They seem too narrow for me. I think I'd have to bring the stem up a lot to make the flared drops usefull.

So I'm just picking your brain on the subject as I have salsa dealers near me, but none stock the fargo so I can't test ride before hand. That deadwood is sweet by the way!! Wish I had a purpose for 29+.

jbandt, I'm 6'4" 195lbs and the XL fit me perfect. Only thing I didn't like on this bike was the drop bars, replaced them with Jonesbars.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    jbandt, I'm 6'4" 195lbs and the XL fit me perfect. Only thing I didn't like on this bike was the drop bars, replaced them with Jonesbars.
    If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to change bars and shift levers? I have a hunch that if I change anything it'll be the bars. Thanks for the help.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to change bars and shift levers? I have a hunch that if I change anything it'll be the bars. Thanks for the help.

$125 for the bars and 150 for my LBS to install new controls.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Ambassador of Chub
    Sweet! Looks like a ripper!
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How is the toe overlap on the Deadwood?
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    i put in an order for the last available frame in my size at my lbs today. the distributor doesn't open until monday, so i won't know for sure until tomorrow if the order goes through, or if somebody else managed to get it before me. looking forward to this.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    my frame came into my lbs. it was the last available small. the weight of the frameset including fork, maxles, seat collar, and anything else i'm forgetting that comes with it, is just over seven pounds. not as heavy as I thought it would be.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    Based on my Fargo experience I agree.
    I am 6'2", but with somewhat long legs on a Large and after a year and 5000 miles think maybe I should have got an XL. My wife is 5'9" (all legs...) and all she has borrowed my bike for 20+ mile rides by just lowering the seat.

The thing that has me wanting bigger are trying to keep my knees and handle bars from intersecting during tight turns and less toe overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post

One thing I noticed when I test rode the XL is that it doesn't have more angle in the stem, so the steerer tube is the limiting factor? On my L the flats are level with the seat and can't go higher without a new stem.

It seems like a longer steerer tube would be nice. Although, mine is slightly shorter than the 300mm length salsa claims on the website so maybbe my LBS cut it when they assembled the bike?

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    One thing I noticed when I test rode the XL is that it doesn't have more angle in the stem, so the steerer tube is the limiting factor? On my L the flats are level with the seat and can't go higher without a new stem.
    Yeah, I don't think one can always expect the stock stem to get the job done. You would think it should, but it's hard to accommodate everyone on a stock build. And, like you said, it's possible that the LBS cut the steerer tube (which they shouldn't do until the bike is sold, imo). But I don't always find that shops are hip to the factors of dirt drop setups, it's such a tiny niche compared to what the majority of shops focus on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

XD Freehub

Just picked up a L Deadwood last weekend and am looking to go 1x11. Has anyone located an XD free hub body that works with the stock Salsa 148 hub? I heard somewhere that the hubs were made by Formula. There is a XD driver on the Salsa web site, but it looks like it's for the fatbikes with 177 spacing. Also have a call into the local Salsa dealer to see what they have/know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Deadwood owners: comment on tire/chain clearance?

I'm contemplating a Deadwood build with a 3X crankset. I'm sort of stuck with Shimano XT cranks, in part because I've ridden only 180mm cranks for nearly 20 years and don't want to change, and no one else makes 180mm. But also because I like the XTs: strong, stiff, pretty light, cheap.

Unfortunately, Shimano doesn't make the M8000 "Boost" model cranks in a 3X. Only 1X and 2X.

So I'm trying to predict what sort of tire clearance I might have if I'm running the inner chainring with 29x3 tires. A non-Boost triple's inner ring will be about 5mm further inboard than a typical Boost 2X crankset's inner ring. Some comments or photos of existing 2X setups might help me predict. I'm guessing no one out there is already using 3X on the Deadwood.

I'm worried less about the cassette position and other chainline issues, since (a) I'll probably be using the Alternator Reducer Plates (if Salsa ever ships the damn things) so I can use my current 142x12 wheel, and (b) with a triple setup, I am virtually never in an extreme chain angle situation.

Please no "just use 2X" or "1X is enough" answers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    So I'm trying to predict what sort of tire clearance I might have if I'm running the inner chainring with 29x3 tires. A non-Boost triple's inner ring will be about 5mm further inboard than a typical Boost 2X crankset's inner ring. Some comments or photos of existing 2X setups might help me predict. I'm guessing no one out there is already using 3X on the Deadwood.
    Bump. No one out there running stock 2X crank and 3" tires that can comment (or photo) about chain/tire clearance in small ring / large cog??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Another bump. I picked one of these up recently and was a bit surprised that the front axle only screws into the front fork by about 3 and a half threads, it's supposed to be enough, but it seems odd to me. Has everyone else got the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I do. I'll be happy to check for you, but unfortunately I'm out of town and won't be back for a few weeks. If nobody else answers, ask me again later and I'll check.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydgoodman View Post
    Another bump. I picked one of these up recently and was a bit surprised that the front axle only screws into the front fork by about 3 and a half threads, it's supposed to be enough, but it seems odd to me. Has everyone else got the same?
    I am able to turn the quick release lever 3 3/4+ turns before the axle bottoms out. Seems about right in my case