• 03-01-2017
    Love Commander
    Cutthroat as double duty/do-all?
    Anyone here have a Cutthroat (or really any drop bar 29er) as their only off-road bike?

Currently, I have a Mariachi set up with X01. I've kinda been chilling out a bit on XC racing and am getting more into gravel racing and would like to start doing some long distance bikepacking/adventure stuff.

I'm playing around with the idea of selling the Mariachi and getting the Cutthroat with the Rival kit. I figure on gravel days, I can use the stock carbon fork. On singletrack days, I can quickly swap it out with my 100mm Sid fork (I could go rigid, but the trails around here are rocky and my wrists can't take it for long). I'd still do a few of the XC races, and it seems like this would be great for some of the various marathon XC races around here. But I'm pretty much a beer-league racer, so it's definitely not the bike that's going to be holding me back.

It seems like this would be perfect, but I'm wondering what I'm missing. The only drawback I can think of is that the BB drop on the Cutthroat is 70mm vs 60mm on the Mariachi, but I can live with being more careful about pedal strike. Most of the other geometry figures work out pretty evenly when you factor out the shorter top tube for drop bar use.
  • 03-01-2017
    Syncro
    I'm seriously considering a Cutthroat, but to fill the gap between my road bike and my Giant Trance. I can't imagine using it as my only mtn bike... It could make sense if you are going to fully commit to gravel racing. But on the other hand, I think the El Mar is a pretty sweet bikepacking bike, so I think this is more of a lateral move in that realm.

If I were you, I'd try to add a gravel bike to my stable. Using the Raliegh corp code, I'd try to get a Willard. I'd look at the DB Haanjo. Or try to find a used Vaya.

Drop bars are sweet for mixed rides, but I don't think I'll ever feel as stable in the techy stuff, or at higher speeds, on singletrack, as I do on my flat bar. Drifting is pretty disconcerting to me on my current gravel bike with a 40mm Nano up front, whereas I love that on the Trance. And I just can't throw around the front end on a drop bar bike like I can with a flat bar. So, make sure to put in some miles on a drop bar bike before ditching the El Mar.

I guess you could but a flat bar on the Cutthroat, but that would be totally defeating the purpose of this bike.
  • 03-01-2017
    buell
    I am super tempted to dump a bunch of money into a custom full carbon Cutthroat build to use as my main rigid. I only thing stopping me is that I wish it was single speedable, possibly with alternator dropouts. There are a few minor issues I have with it, but nothing other than that that would prevent me from pulling the trigger. If you're not into hucks and gnar, I'd say go for it.
  • 03-02-2017
    tws21975
    It is certainly possible. I used my Fargo as my only MTB for 3.5 seasons and it was fine. That being said, I definitely prefer my full sus 29er trail bike for single track only rides. over the past two seasons with a "regular" MTB, I still used my Fargo on mixed surface rides that include the same singletrack I use my other MTB on.

Drop bars offroad are interesting and totally doable, but finding the balance between having the drops where you want them off road and the hoods where you want them on gravel/pavement is challenging. Toward the end of last season, I eventually found a compromise that worked well enough. I'd recommend having a few stems in your collection to try different bar heights. Also, the one that will work best off road will likely be an "ugly" highrise model that makes bike geeks cringe and leave more steerer tube than you think you need!

I purchased my Cutthroat to combine my Fargo and Vaya into one bike, so my purposes are slightly different than yours. However, it will be used on singletrack and I *might* use it for the Vermont 50 this year. So far I've really enjoyed the bike, the rear end is very compliant and the bike seems very efficient overall. I think the Woodchippers may be a bit better than the cowchippers for singletrack, but will reserve judgement on that until the trails open this spring.

Good luck!
  • 03-02-2017
    Love Commander
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    I'm seriously considering a Cutthroat, but to fill the gap between my road bike and my Giant Trance. I can't imagine using it as my only mtn bike... It could make sense if you are going to fully commit to gravel racing. But on the other hand, I think the El Mar is a pretty sweet bikepacking bike, so I think this is more of a lateral move in that realm.

If I were you, I'd try to add a gravel bike to my stable. Using the Raliegh corp code, I'd try to get a Willard. I'd look at the DB Haanjo. Or try to find a used Vaya.

Drop bars are sweet for mixed rides, but I don't think I'll ever feel as stable in the techy stuff, or at higher speeds, on singletrack, as I do on my flat bar. Drifting is pretty disconcerting to me on my current gravel bike with a 40mm Nano up front, whereas I love that on the Trance. And I just can't throw around the front end on a drop bar bike like I can with a flat bar. So, make sure to put in some miles on a drop bar bike before ditching the El Mar.

I guess you could but a flat bar on the Cutthroat, but that would be totally defeating the purpose of this bike.

Agreed on it being a lateral move, which is why I'm kind of flipflopping back and forth between keeping the Mariachi and swapping it out for the Cutthroat. The other option I'm looking at is getting a Jones Loop bar for the Mariachi, which would give me more hand positions on a long gravel ride. Swapping out to the rigid fork when needed. I'm sort of leaning that way, at least for this season.

I do have a Raleigh RXC that I race cross on and have done some gravel riding on. But I'm also planning on swapping out the chainring and cassette to be more road-friendly to try out some of the local practice crit races to see if I like that at all. So swapping back and forth between road and gravel would be a pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buell View Post
    I am super tempted to dump a bunch of money into a custom full carbon Cutthroat build to use as my main rigid. I only thing stopping me is that I wish it was single speedable, possibly with alternator dropouts. There are a few minor issues I have with it, but nothing other than that that would prevent me from pulling the trigger. If you're not into hucks and gnar, I'd say go for it.

Yeah, I already kind of pick my way through rock gardens rather than blasting through. Part of that is the bike, part of that is just my lack of ability. So I don't know how much the Cutthroat would change my riding vs. the Mariachi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tws21975 View Post
    It is certainly possible. I used my Fargo as my only MTB for 3.5 seasons and it was fine. That being said, I definitely prefer my full sus 29er trail bike for single track only rides. over the past two seasons with a "regular" MTB, I still used my Fargo on mixed surface rides that include the same singletrack I use my other MTB on.

Drop bars offroad are interesting and totally doable, but finding the balance between having the drops where you want them off road and the hoods where you want them on gravel/pavement is challenging. Toward the end of last season, I eventually found a compromise that worked well enough. I'd recommend having a few stems in your collection to try different bar heights. Also, the one that will work best off road will likely be an "ugly" highrise model that makes bike geeks cringe and leave more steerer tube than you think you need!

I purchased my Cutthroat to combine my Fargo and Vaya into one bike, so my purposes are slightly different than yours. However, it will be used on singletrack and I *might* use it for the Vermont 50 this year. So far I've really enjoyed the bike, the rear end is very compliant and the bike seems very efficient overall. I think the Woodchippers may be a bit better than the cowchippers for singletrack, but will reserve judgement on that until the trails open this spring.

Good luck!

I'm definitely not ruling out a full suspension bike in the future, so this probably won't be my only MTB for very long. The only real reason I'm considering a swap vs. N+1 is that space is currently a limitation, and I'm already maxed out. Pretty much all of my bikes, except the commuter, live 2 lives (which is why I love cross bikes).

I appreciate the opinions. Good stuff.
  • 03-02-2017
    Paochow
    My Cutthroat is leaning out my collection but on the road/gravel side. I'd pretty much stopped riding pure road, so the Cutty replaced my Madone at purchase. Now that I've gotten some miles on it, I've come to realize that it does pretty much everything better than my Crossrip so that'll be going up for sale.
  • 03-02-2017
    pdxfixed
    Long ago someone told me that an aluminum Cutthroat would show up one day. I'll be first in line.
  • 03-30-2017
    bike21
    Loving my Cutthroat, sold the road bike and haven't looked back. Actually been riding it more than my MTB so far this year on dirt/gravel/road combo loops. Love the geometry and the true do-it-all philosophy. Haven't tried much tech yet but with lower pressure I'm sure it would handle its own on a lot of different trails.

From today's spin...

• 03-31-2017
    NDTransplant
    That is an excellent photo, bike21!!!!
  • 05-18-2017
    bike21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    That is an excellent photo, bike21!!!!

Thanks much!
  • 09-25-2017
    lmike6453
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bike21 View Post
    Loving my Cutthroat, sold the road bike and haven't looked back. Actually been riding it more than my MTB so far this year on dirt/gravel/road combo loops. Love the geometry and the true do-it-all philosophy. Haven't tried much tech yet but with lower pressure I'm sure it would handle its own on a lot of different trails.

From today's spin...

Amazing pic! I am also considering getting the Cutthroat as road plus more. Are you still loving it?