Cutthroat component choices?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Cutthroat component choices?

Just acquired a barely used v1 frameset after reading a review of the v2 and thinking it wouldn't work for me; I looked on Oz eBay and miraculously there was something there! Now I have to figure out what to do about parts, fit, etc.

I'll be using some sort of drop bars, probably 2x11, the Cutthroat frame bag, EXT top tube bag, perhaps fork cages & bags, and a Revelate seat bag. Does anyone know what harnesses and/or bags will fit between not super flared nor super wide bars? I'd prefer to keep the brake hoods relatively vertical, and to have zero contact between the bag and hands; there will probably be a dynamo headlight on the fork crown too.

Another issue is how to get drop bar shifters to cooperate with MTB derailleurs. I know about the Microshift bar end shifters and Gevenalle, but would prefer to stick with STI if things can be made to work. Di2 would in theory work but there's no provision for wiring and the price is not right(!). I have some M9000 XTR cranks, but that's about it for parts.

And lastly there's brakes, the dilemma there being whether to go with hydro, cable, or cable-actuated hydro calipers. The hydro STI levers are a lot more expensive than cables, and bulkier too. RS505 shifters are cheap at present (but ugly) though they do work more-or-less okay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Stephen

mtbr member
    The way to go, to get road shifters and MTB derailleurs, is SRAM. SRAM's 10&11-speed road stuff shares their 10-speed MTB rear pull ratio and they have hydro and 1x versions too if that's your jam. The 1x11 road derailleurs are essentially the same as the 1x11 MTB derailleurs except they have a cable stop instead of a pulley where the cable comes in.

There's always Shimergo. I suspect but haven't seen anyone try it, that a Shimano road 11 speed shifter should shift an old 9 speed SIS RD & cassette, because it's pretty close to the Campy pull.

What are you doing for wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ SRAM is a bit of a problem for me as I've had nothing to do with their road stuff, and here in Oz there are different importers for road and MTB bits, in different states. It's also harder to source online than Shimano. :-(

With STI I'm more worried about the front derailleur but there's a Shiftmate that might fix things. Finding a FD that fits could be difficult these days though, but I'd really prefer the extra gears compared to 1x. I'm thinking 36x24 rings and an XT 11-40 cassette, and an Ultegra RX should be fine with that.

Not sure about wheels yet. Probably a Shimano or maybe DT350 HG rear hub, and an SP dynamo hub at the front, 32, with light gauge spokes and light rims, maybe a Crest MK3 at the front and a DT XR 361 on the back, most likely with Thunder Burts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I run Shimano 2x10, with Shimano brifters. I use a Jtek shiftmate on the front, Wolftooth Tanpan on the rear. Works very well - no issues.

I run mechanical brakes, but in the future Id go hydraulic - much superior stopping. I went mechanical just in case of backcountry problems, but hydraulics have gotten so good and reliable, its really not an issue anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for confirming the front Shiftmate works; I have a Tanpan and XT RD I could use, and found a suitable FD on eBay last night.

Agree about hydros, but I already have a set of BB-7 Road calipers so might end up with cable discs if I can find some levers for the right price. We'll see...