Cowchippers?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cowchippers?

mtbr member

Cowchippers?

Interesting. Anyone have any hands on experience with these?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=73325
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

I don't, but I'm going to buy one. Seems like exactly what I'm looking for. Never got along with Midge and Woodchippers were too flared out for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just when I think that all of my bikes are set up the way I want them, Salsa does this.
    Dagnabit!
    They look perfect. I had the Woodchippers and couldn't love them. I put Cowbells on my 2011 Vaya and love them but this looks like they would be fun.

mtbr member
    I've been using Cowbells for years for my Colossal. It would be interesting to try these but since the Cowbells work I have no real reason to change.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Definitely switching out my cowbells for these. I was about to order a set of woodchippers and saw these listed on QBP before they were 'released' without pricing, so I was happy to see they were exactly in the middle of the two.

mtbr member
    Anyone got their hands on these yet? They look awesome. I am ordering one to put on my new gravel grinder for 24-48hr no sleep rides and multi day bikepacking and need comfort and control on really rutted out roads. I ride a 42cm bar on my road bike (my AC to AC distance is just about 42cm), but want something wider for more leverage on rough roads when I am afraid something too narrow will hinder my ability to stay upright and in control. Also the wider bar will make more room for a handlebar bag so that's a plus.

Am I crazy to go for a 46cm on these? It is 46 from hood to hood not counting flared drops right? So the flared drops are even wider than 46?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    Am I crazy to go for a 46cm on these? It is 46 from hood to hood not counting flared drops right? So the flared drops are even wider than 46?
    I have the cowchipper on my 650B Vaya and they are by far the most comfortable drop bars I have ever ridden. I am running a 42cm bar on my size 57 frame and would not want to go wider.

The bar size is from hood to hood as you mentioned which means the flares are even wider. If you normally ride 42's I can't see going wider than 44's but to each his own. Either way you can't go wrong with the cowchipper, it is great!

mtbr member
    Love my cowchippers - I'm running the 46cm width on my Fargo (I like wide bars). Never tried woodchippers - seemed like too much flare. Previous bars were zero-flare 'cross bars. Cowchippers are just right.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    I'm thinking about Cowchippers, but I have a question: Is the measurement from the inside edge of the hoods, outside edge, or center?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbers View Post
    I'm thinking about Cowchippers, but I have a question: Is the measurement from the inside edge of the hoods, outside edge, or center?
    Center to center measurement. Mine are 46cm C-C just behind the hoods, 57cm C-C at the extension's widest point.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    Great! Thank you!

mtbr member

Cowchippers?

I've got cowchippers on my "gravel" bike. Love em. Perfect for road/dirt cross-terrain rides. You have a roadie-like position on the hoods but more control in the drops. Felt great for 50 miles of fireroads, gravel, and road at Monstercross.

I have not ridden with the woodchippers but I did try the midge and couldn't find a comfy position on them for long rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have Woodchippers on my Fargo and Cowchippers on my On One Pickenflick (cross/gravel). Love 'em both.

since 4/10/2009
    Got to check out some cowchippers already installed on a Marrakesh at a shop nearby. Damn, those are comfy. Curses that they're not going to be back in stock till May. The Midge bars I have now will have to do till then for my century training.

MFG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Latest update on availability (according to my LBS): 4/29.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Just picked up a pair of 46cm Cowchippers to replace the stock 44 cowbells on my gravel bike. Any advice for set up with these (angles, lever placement)? This is my first pair of more flaired dirt drops and am wondering if you have success running them as you would road bars.

Members who have read this thread: 2