Convince Me To Buy El Mariachi- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Convince Me To Buy El Mariachi

Hi I am new to the forum and am looking to purchase my first real mountain bike. I have been researching for quite some time and El Mariachi 2 in Orange is the bike I REALLY want. Now my question is, at this price point, is this my best option?
    My LBS carries Specialized only and I don't really like the handrails I have seen from them. Please enlighten me on the reason why I should or shouldn't get an El Mariachi. Thank you!

Birthday Collector
    Leans - I am probably skewed as I sell this brand, but if you can ride one - it will convince you (or not). The El Mar is our best-selling model of all our brands (Trek, Salsa, Pivot, Yeti, Moots, etc....) People get on the bike and we repeatedly hear "it feels like I've been on this bike for years..." Very comfortable, natural feel. An El Mar 3 will give you the same basic ride to compare, if your local dealer doesn't have a "2" in stock. Nicer, lighter on the "2" vs. the "3". Mo Money. It's versatile, fun to ride, sturdy and nicely equipped for the money. Hope you get to try one, and if you like it, grab it and go. It will be a long-time companion!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Leans - I am probably skewed as I sell this brand, but if you can ride one - it will convince you (or not). The El Mar is our best-selling model of all our brands (Trek, Salsa, Pivot, Yeti, Moots, etc....) People get on the bike and we repeatedly hear "it feels like I've been on this bike for years..." Very comfortable, natural feel. An El Mar 3 will give you the same basic ride to compare, if your local dealer doesn't have a "2" in stock. Nicer, lighter on the "2" vs. the "3". Mo Money. It's versatile, fun to ride, sturdy and nicely equipped for the money. Hope you get to try one, and if you like it, grab it and go. It will be a long-time companion!
    ATBScott- thanks for the great info on the bike. The closest dealer is 2:30 hours away but I am planning to take a trip to look at it in Feb. I can't wait to see it in person and ride it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    " You must become one with the bike". That is the epitome of my El Mar 2. From flowy to Rocky to bikepacking, this bike dances through everything. It's almost like this bike is alive. Absolute pleasure to ride both climbing and descending. Enjoy your road trip to the dealer...take money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mine just seems to disappear when I'm riding it. I don't even think about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thank you for all the great feedback on the El Mariachi but today I purchased a 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper. The bike was on sale because the new 2015s are out and I couldn't justify spending 1 grand more for an el mariachi. Maybe in the future I can look at an El Mariachi! Thanks again everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Congrats on the new bike. You couldn't go wrong either way.

For any others looking at this...nobody mentioned the big difference here. That is the El Mar has a steel frame. Steel bikes make for unique(I would say better but that is my opinion) ride quality and one of the things that makes the El Mar so popular year after year.

Thing Maker
    Apr 2013
    The Santa Cruz Tallboy was the 29er that truly felt right, according to most of the industry. You may notice the geometry of the El Mariachi is EXACTLY that, totally dialed in. The Kung Fu chromo provides a super smooth ride, and the attention to detail on this bike is far beyond what Spec or Trek could provide at this price. Ive been on the SS for 13 months, and it is on point. The SLX kit is on point- tunable and will last a long time. Plus, its a double!
    The Boombot REX, ultraportable speaker/speakerphone/siri assistant. With the ability to deny phone calls on the trail Huzzah!