Conti Tour Rides (Vaya)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Conti Tour Rides (Vaya)

Hi all,

After buying a Vaya 2 complete I immediately swapped out the stock Conti Tour Rides and threw a pair of Cyclocross Speeds on it, based on lots of rubber reviews. But I was surprised to find that even at lower volume the Speeds were super skittish on the gravel; I had to work at hard at finding a good line and even then I felt like I was gonna lose control at any time. Well, I kept at it for quite a while before finally throwing the Tour Rides back on just for comparison's sake, and what do you know...a MUCH better ride on gravel. Super plush, and definitely not as slow as some reviewers claim. In fact, I feel like the Vaya gots some getup and go when I hit the rough stuff. Probably just me, but thought this might help someone out.

Btw, I ride gravel in Wisconsin mostly on the gravel shoulders of country roads. The gravel certainly isn't pea-sized, so your mileage will certainly vary.

Cheers,

Dave

rth009
    May 2010
    I had a similar experience, except for I switched the tour rides out for wtb pathway 32s. I thought the knobs on the pathways might grab better on gravel and dirt, but not so. The tour rides are pretty versatile and fast enough for my use and they're alot more comfortable too, not to mention that a 32c tire looks funny on my size 60 vaya. And they show no signs of wear at 1500 miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I took my stock Conti's off, went tubeless, and threw on some Kenda Happy Mediums in 40c. Much better ride on the Kansas rock. Give those a try. With tubes, you guys might like them. I run 48 lbs in the rear and 45 lbs up front and I'm 205 with water and gear.

Cc

Harmonius Wrench
    I have a friend who has a Vaya, rides tons of gravel events, and took his Conti Tour Rides off for Conti Cyclocross Speed tires. Doesn't like the CX speeds, and the Tour Rides?

They ended up on his Fargo, tubeless on Stan's rims, and he loves them.

Just a FYI- The CX speeds seem to be best on smaller gravel, dirt roads, and non-chunky stuff. This is from rider feedback I've gotten.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I love my Conti Tour Rides. They aren't lite, but they roll fairly efficiently, and they are about as plush as I could hope. I know some roadies give me "the look" when I'm riding this bike, but my avg speeds are very close to where I'm at on my light bike.

I have CX Speed on my Chili Con Crosso, and they are wearing FAST, and I'm not blown away by their performance anywhere, so I might try some Kenda Slant Six's in a 35c this fall. I've used the Small Block 8 as well, so this will be interesting, as I did like the 8.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Crudcake View Post
    I took my stock Conti's off, went tubeless, and threw on some Kenda Happy Mediums in 40c. Much better ride on the Kansas rock. Give those a try. With tubes, you guys might like them. I run 48 lbs in the rear and 45 lbs up front and I'm 205 with water and gear.

Cc
    Did you convert the stock vaya DT Swiss X470 rims to tubeless? If so, what exactly do I need to do this? Ive never set up a non-Stans rim tubeless. Thanks

mtbr member
    I will probably kick for myself for posting this, but I am doing it.

I've kept the stock Conti's on my Vaya and I have put at least 3,000 miles of all sorts of terrain from commuting everyday to chunky gravel and I have not had a single flat or problem with them yet. They still look and feel absolutely great too. It's funny though because they are the only Continental tire that I have liked. All of their other tires have given me nothing but problems.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I also am beginning to think that the stock Tour Rides are ideally suited to the Vaya. I went with 700x37 Tour Rides for awhile last year, but when I switched back, I discovered that the 42s had a better ride quality. I just recently mounted a set of Cx Speeds (42s), and I don't have enough miles on them yet to render a verdict, but so far I'm thinking I preferred the Tour Rides. On gravel they do feel a little skittish, like I'm maybe running too high a psi in them. I also rode on some sand with them and the front just wanted to plow sideways. I'll put some more miles on them, but I'm thinking I may be putting the stock tires back on, sooner rather than later.

The Speeds also seem to have a flatter profile, and they don't want to bend into corners as well as the rounder Tour Rides do.

The Tour Rides seem fairly indestructible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ryh009,

Yes, I converted the stock DT Swiss wheels to tubeless, I dropped a lot of cash and bought the DT tubeless kit specifically for the rims.....worked great. On a separate note, when I was changing out the Kendas for new skins (a new, second set of Kenda Happy Mediums) to ride the DK, I noticed the rear rim strip had torn. I took a shot and popped for a new Stans strip instead, hoping to save a buck. The Stans rim strip works great, and was mucho cheaper than the DT Swiss kit. In other words, you can go tubeless on the stock X470 rims using either the DT Swiss or the Stans kit, just make sure you get the right kit match for the 470's.

Now, getting the Kenda tires to finally seal is a completely different story. The HM's are a pain in the **s to get to finally seal, they are not a "tubeless" ready tire. The bead leaks like nuts for a week or so. It's the tire, (in my opinion). Be patient and keep working with it. Once the Stans sealant does its work and the tires seal up, the ride of the Kendas is noticeably more compliant and really comfy over the stock Conti's with tubes. I think you'll like it, but remember, I'm set up for gravel.

I flatted the stock Conti's during the third commute from work after I bought the bike, which prompted my move to tubeless. I've ran tubeless on my X-Cal for years and I'm sold. But I understand to each his own.

The Vaya is a great bike and performed flawlessly during my DK ride, last week. As far as gravel grinding goes...the bike definitely gets it.

Cc

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone tried Bonty XR-1's, 1.9s or some other larger tires on the Vaya?

Cc

Dianetics Junior
    are you all running tubes with the Conti Tour Rides?? thinking of going ghetto with mine along with the delgado rims...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    thinking of going ghetto with mine
    Huh?

Dianetics Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Huh?
    oh sorry...too vague - my bad. I am considering running them tubeless on my salsa delgado rims. Since they are not "tubeless" rims, I would do the "ghetto" tubeless method using gorilla tape and stans....

...I have run the delgado's tubeless before on my MTB, but with much larger (2.3) tires and it worked great - was just wondering if anyone's set up the Conti Tour Rides tubeless before I give it a shot...my guess is most people use tubes for this type of riding so that's why I am asking...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ah! No - tubes here. I run them about 60-65 PSI, and have a Thudbuster I pulled from my Fargo, and it rides like a couch! My taint loves me...

Got a longer TB for the Fargo though, so I'm still stylin' on that too.

mtbr member
    Currently running tubes, but I am going tubeless one of these days.

Harmonius Wrench
    The guy I referred to has the Contis tubeless on Stan's rims. Doesn't seem to be having any issues either.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Members who have read this thread: 0