• 10-02-2012
    Raider47
    6 Attachment(s)
    Changes for 2013 El Mariachi 3
    Hi all,

    I'm actually trying to get a 2013 El Mariachi SS but with the limited availability, I'm probably going to settle on the El Mariachi 3. I think there are still some 2012's floating around so I am looking for some feedback on which component set is better between 2012 and 2013. I like both green and red so color doesn't matter and I am going to loose the squish for a rigid fork so the suspension doesn't matter. I like the idea of a 2x10 better than a 3x10 but haven't tried one yet. Here is a component list from the salsa website:
  • 10-02-2012
    Zoomy29er
    I had the same debate a few weeks ago...for a couple hundred less I could have snagged a 2012 right away, but I compared the components and decided that it was worth it to wait (plus I LOVE that red frame and white fork). I have SRAM compact double on my road and CX bikes, but on my current mtn. bike I have a SRAM triple...I could have gone either way. What swayed me most was the trigger shifters. I have a tough time shifting into larger rings on the front--the SRAM requires a pretty strong push (and I have wussy little chick hands and am not sold on twist/grip shifters). I rode around a parking lot on a friend's Trek Superfly with the exact same component group as the '13 El Mar 3 and found that the Shimano triggers had a much lighter touch. Plus I have read great reviews of the Manitou fork, though I know that's not a factor for you.
  • 10-03-2012
    hillharman
    I would go for the 2013, too, especially if the SLX RD has the clutch mechanism. Also, the wheels and fork are nicer.
  • 10-03-2012
    Zoomy29er
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I would go for the 2013, too, especially if the SLX RD has the clutch mechanism. Also, the wheels and fork are nicer.

    Tell me more about the clutch mechanism (I'm a noob). Glad to hear the wheels are an improvement. I couldn't really find much info. to compare the '12 wheels to the '13 ones.
  • 10-03-2012
    hillharman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    Tell me more about the clutch mechanism (I'm a noob). Glad to hear the wheels are an improvement. I couldn't really find much info. to compare the '12 wheels to the '13 ones.

    The newer Shimano rear derailleurs have a clutch mechanism that limits chain slap when riding over rough terrain. This gives you a quieter ride and better chain security. SRAM makes a version, but it only goes down to the X9 spec level, I think. I think the '13 rims are wider, and wide=good.
  • 10-03-2012
    Zoomy29er
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The newer Shimano rear derailleurs have a clutch mechanism that limits chain slap when riding over rough terrain. This gives you a quieter ride and better chain security. SRAM makes a version, but it only goes down to the X9 spec level, I think. I think the '13 rims are wider, and wide=good.

    Thanks--OK, I did read about that clutch mechanism in a mountain bike magazine at the store. That sounds really good--I'm always amazed by how much the chain on my X5/X7 mix bangs around on even small bumps.

    Definitely a fan of wider. We have a LOT of sand around these parts. My next ride will likely be a Mukluk. I've done a couple of rides on our LBS's demo Muks...dammit, those things are awesome fun and go through anything!
  • 10-03-2012
    hillharman
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    Thanks--OK, I did read about that clutch mechanism in a mountain bike magazine at the store. That sounds really good--I'm always amazed by how much the chain on my X5/X7 mix bangs around on even small bumps.

    Definitely a fan of wider. We have a LOT of sand around these parts. My next ride will likely be a Mukluk. I've done a couple of rides on our LBS's demo Muks...dammit, those things are awesome fun and go through anything!

    I shelled out for the Shadow Plus XTR RD back when it was the only one that had it, and I don't regret the purchase. It is one of the best biking technologies to come out in several years. Then again, I'm obsessed with a quiet ride. I have an El Mariachi, too. Great bike.
  • 10-03-2012
    Raider47
    Thanks for the responses. I'll ask the dealer about the derailleur's clutch.
  • 10-05-2012
    ATBScott
    The 2013 El Mar 3 will have a non-Shadow Plus RD. I am sure the dealer would work with you for a small fee to upgrade!

    Raider47 - sent you a message B/C re: the LTD SS models...
  • 10-05-2012
    Raider47
    I found a SS Mariachi in my size so I'm set but thank you all for the replies:)
    I'm sure other people debating which model to buy will find this thread helpful too.
  • 10-05-2012
    ATBScott
    Great - they are really cool-looking. We got a bunch of them and they have been selling well. Have one of each size left and just finished getting them up in a row on the floor for the weekend. Enjoy!
  • 01-15-2013
    needajob
    Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a large el mariachi frame. Either 2012 or 2013 would work. All of the on-line dealers are sold out and none of the LBS have any either. Salsa told me that they don't know when they will have more. I have all the parts and just need a frame. I didn't realize that it would be this hard to find one.
  • 01-15-2013
    druidh
    There are some in the UK
  • 01-15-2013
    needajob
    Who, and do they ship to U.S? Thanks for the reply.