Can I crack my carbon seat tube? -Beargrease- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Can I crack my carbon seat tube? -Beargrease

i've got a (2016?) Grey and Silver Salsa Beargrease.

Love, love, love it.

In the winter when it's dumb cold (less than 5 F) I drive to local river area and ride. anyway, I told my LBS (salsa dealer) that I normally loosen seat post and push it down, and then put bike in the back of minivan for transit. Works great cuz bike thaws out on way home and most of the ice and snow melt off of it. 14 year old van with 265,000 miles so I could care less about a little moisture on the carpet.

I don't really crank on the post, just a snug loosen and tighten. Anyway, shop guy said I shouldn't do that, because over time I can crack the carbon seat tube. Is he full of shit? I've never heard of this before.

In the main summer season, my son and I almost always use roof rack (yakima) or rear bumper rack Kuat on the van or suburban. I've owned a "bunch" of carbon & aluminum bikes and have never experienced this or heard of it.

just wanted to throw this question out there.....?

FWIW, I'm been trying to ride my bear grease on rivers, ice, singletrack all winter the past two years. I'm 225 lbs and ride about 25 miles per week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Bike has been phenomenal. Just a couple new chains and all is good. Front axle has a little bend, but wheels are still holding up great. Awesome bike for $2000.

thanks,

CR
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would recommend a torque wrench if you are going to be tightening and loosening the clamp bolt a bunch. I'm sure his fear was that you would crank down on the clamp bolt, over-tighten it and damage the tube, that could definitely happen.

As another suggestion, what about getting a dropper post? There are more and more 27.2 options now, and that would eliminate the need to mess with the bolt.

EAT MORE GRIME
    torque wrench so you can always tighten it to exact torque

and pull seat out, don't shove into tube. remove it
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    sounds good; I'll pull out from here on out.

dropper aint in the cards. I've got one on my tallboy, but in the cold they aren't great....it gets cold here.

what do people use these days for nice, compact, bike type torque wrenches? 3/8" or 1/4" drive?

thanks!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic slalom View Post
    sounds good; I'll pull out from here on out.

dropper aint in the cards. I've got one on my tallboy, but in the cold they aren't great....it gets cold here.

what do people use these days for nice, compact, bike type torque wrenches? 3/8" or 1/4" drive?

thanks!
    If you just want a simple torque key, I use one of these regularly, https://ritcheylogic.com/6-bit-torque-key-4nm-or-5nm

I have the older version without the holder for the bits. It's small and easy to use. Most everything carbon on my bike is in the 5Nm range anyway.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

EAT MORE GRIME
    I use the spin doctor small wrench. it's fine for all bike parts except crank bolts and pedals. just be sure to unweight the spring after each use (set to zero)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    If you just want a simple torque key, I use one of these regularly, https://ritcheylogic.com/6-bit-torque-key-4nm-or-5nm

I have the older version without the holder for the bits. It's small and easy to use. Most everything carbon on my bike is in the 5Nm range anyway.
    damn, that's cool! thanks!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic slalom View Post
    damn, that's cool! thanks!
    My pleasure!
    The member formerly known as Redtires....