Bucksaw - Seat stay breaks?- Mtbr.com
    Loser

Bucksaw - Seat stay breaks?

I recall many years ago seeing a picture of a Bucksaw with broken seat stays, I haven't seen any recently though. Today I noticed my right hand side seat stay was broken, there was no event, no big jump or anything, I just noticed during a break that the carbon was delaminating. My bike is about 2.5 years old, IIRC the warranty is 2 years. Has anyone dealt with an out of warranty frame with Salsa?
    Bucksaw - Seat stay breaks?-20171112_122746.jpg

Loser
    Just got the call from LBS, no warranty coverage, $220 for a new chainstay. I'm bummed, but doing it, I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Just got the call from LBS, no warranty coverage, $220 for a new chainstay. I'm bummed, but doing it, I guess.
    That sounds like a fair price to me. Just make sure to service your pivots too. Sticky pivots lead to broken seat and chain stays.

rth009
    May 2010
    is that a broken chainstay or chipped paint. Im pretty sure the chainstay is aluminum, but the seatstay is carbon.

Loser
    I see I swapped names there, sorry, this is a carbon seatstay that broke as I put in my first post. I mistakenly called it a chainstay in my follow up post.

It's very definitely broken all the way through, it flexes when I push on it. I'm having all the pivots serviced as well, I didn't feel anything bad there, but the tech said they were pretty bad, perhaps that caused this. I didn't think of that.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I see I swapped names there, sorry, this is a carbon seatstay that broke as I put in my first post. I mistakenly called it a chainstay in my follow up post.
    Yeah, I should have figured that out by looking closer at the picture. I can imagine carbon breaking like in your picture, but not aluminum, thus my confusion.

Loser
    As an update to this, I just got a call from the LBS and the chainstay had a crack on a weld as well. I wish I had all the info upfront on this, I might have made a different decision, but I'm going to end up with a new bike here, piece by piece. The LBS said they will "take care of me", we'll see how this goes and I'll post back up.

Loser
    I got my bike back, it looks like it's brand new, because more than half of it is brand new! I put new wheels and drivetrain on as well. The tech said my pivots and DU bushings were in bad shape (he replaced them), I didn't notice any friction prior to the break, but I never took the shock off to test it without the resistance either. I also had them reseal the fork and shock.

Anyway first ride today, pretty pumped to have the bike back.

Loser
    First ride was great, wow I let the maintenance go on this bike. I need to pay closer attention to things, it feels so good, the suspension is so smooth!

mtbr member
    Jisch, How many miles had you put on the bike before it broke?

Thanks Tim