Big Mama Shock Mount Dimensions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big Mama Shock Mount Dimensions

Greetings

Firstly, congrats to Salsa for removing this info from their frame tech page in the Big Mama archive. Why would you do that????

If anyone can remember for certain the width of the hardware top and bottom, I would be very grateful if you posted it up. I am having some memories about it being 22.85mm or 21.85mm and I can't remeasure myself because I know I used a slightly different size due to availability last time, so I am not confident in any measurement I take.

I'll go again with what is on there at the moment, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows for sure what it was originally.

Cheers.

Flow
    Did you ever find out what size hardware you need? I am in the same boat and cannot seem to get rid of play in the lower shock bolt mount area. I have tried all new reducer hardware, new bolts, and new bushings and the clunk is still there. I am positive that the clunk is coming from the lower shock bolt because I can see it move when i lift up on the saddle. My only thought is that somehow I have reducers that are too small and that is allowing the play, although I am pretty sure this frame is the 22mmX8mm size. One thing I have noticed is that the metal on the inside and outside of where the shock bolt goes through is visibly worn and may be contributing to the play.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    My el k did that after about a week of use. Salsa told me to put a washer under the head of the bolt on the lower mount and it went away. Still running fine to the day actually.

Flow
    Thanks. I think I have it sorted out now. I added a ~1.5mm thick washer to both sides and the play appears to be gone.

mtbr member
    G'day, I'm glad you have the problem sorted. I put a washer there when I first bought the frame too.

As far as I can find, the frame came with 21.85 which I could not find at one point, so gently persuaded some 22mm in there. I recently put new 21.85mm in there and no problems.