Which Big Mama?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which Big Mama?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Which Big Mama?

So I'm sold on the Big Mama, but I need some help picking out a configuration.

I'm 165#, 6'-0" looking to get into longer races (I'll be at this year's Ouachita Challenge) as well as enjoy some longer rides. I also do long adventure races. 99% of my riding is in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas, so I run a pretty good mix of trails from fast and flowing to rocks and roots. Riding style is much more on the XC side than the AM side. I don't usually deal with big drops and the like. I was on a Klein Adept and then a Steel Hardtail. Both 26"

Option 1: Big Mama XT (base $)
    -XT Drivetrain
    -FOX f29 RL
    -Salsa Semi's on XT Hubs
    -Deus Crank
    (the only reason I'd go for this one is that it seems like the most bang for the buck in the value department. I prefer SRAM parts, but It's hard to pass on a this bike in the $2100 range)

Option 2: Big Mama SRAM (base + $100)
    -X.9 + X.7 Drivetrain
    -Reba Race
    -Mavic 719 on XT Hubs
    -Stylo 3.3 crank
    (I like SRAM parts, but the rest of this bike seems underbuilt to be more expensive than the XT bike)

Option 3: Buy Frame and Build custom (base + $700)
    -1x9 setup with Sram X.9 and gripshift
    -Reba Race with lockout
    -Hope Pro 2 + Stan's Flows or Arches
    -Stylo 1.1 OCT crank
    -go slightly weight weenie on other parts
    (with this option I'd have a sub 26# Mama, easy. plus I'd have an easier time going tubeless, but dang the upcharge hurts)

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd go option 1. Frame and excellent fork at the heart of things and while you prefer SRAM, XT stuff is truly excellent. Upgrade as you break and wear stuff out. Cheapest, best suspension and excellent(if not your pref) parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I guess there's always option 4:
    Buy option 1, order the parts I'd like to swap out, and put the unused takeoffs up for sale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Adh007
    I guess there's always option 4:
    Buy option 1, order the parts I'd like to swap out, and put the unused takeoffs up for sale.
    + 1

Ride and Smile suckas
    Personally I went with option #3 and I am very happy.
    just waiting on the Custom wheelset right now. I rode it this fall with the 719s on XT hubs that I had from a previous build, good wheels but not stiff and a bit heavy.
    I am also 1X9 on this bike and its plenty for what I ride. Go tubeless!
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't know what your base + 700 really is. I did option 3 sourced everything from Ebay and here. I have complete XX drive train, Reba Race, Elixer CR, the list goes on I spent 3200 bucks total. I think your dreaming about the weight, maybe not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry I was in a hurry. What I meant was, if done right option 3 could come in under your estimate.
    The weight thing I don't know. My large came in at 27.6 lb's. I'm not sure I could shave of 1 Kg. My wheels are pretty standard DT Swiss X470 with 370 hubs so there's room there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Base + $700 is something in the realm of $2900

Sub 26lb weight is calculated by adding up published weights of all parts... so if published weights are to be believed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you take the BM XT (the best value for me), you can upgrade it with very good custom or factory wheelset and different tires for less than $700.
    For 1x9 drivetrain, you switch the inner with outer ring and add a bash guard (e13, MRP, etc).

With these upgrades, it's easy to save weight w/o break the bank.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I like SRAM but option 1 is by far the best deal. You could even swap to X.9 shifters and rear derailleur, sell off the XT parts, and be in it for not more than option 2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Me 2. Better cranks & brakes IMO! I am going to turn the Stylo3.3 into a 2x9 Salsa corbon bars about 1350g on a wheel build from notubes.. I have been racing for about five
    years w/Sram x9RD x7shifters, no problems, so with that said I'll leve the BM shifting alone this yr and put the money into a ti cassette. That build will do me fine and if it comes out at 28lbs than I'm ok with that. About 5 days back I was thinking 25lbs on a BM- I think it CAN be done, how ever with & for the money I am also getting another bike.
    A 29er HT that starts out at 25lbs and I can get it to 23 ez..

Mcstumpy & Mackgoo I thank you guys very much for all your help and also Eric & boby from Salsa cycles..
    Dinomac.

mtbr member
    Option 1 is more convenient.

I'd go with Option 1, then customize as necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well! now you guys got me thinking about option 1 The O/P and myself are in the same boat on this.. So here is why I was not liking opt 1. 1.the brakes, (not good in the cold), 2. the Race Face cranks (lots of bad reviews) 3, no lockout on the handlebars it sucks when I forget and have to sit back down reach down and lock or unlock the fork. Fox is comming out wiht a HB mount l/o soon..

I am also getting a Mamasita all xt I was going to change the xt out with xo stuf & change the brakes,cranks. THAN! I added it all up. I am going to run the R/F cranks
    and the xt stuf. I am having notubes do a wheel build for me I will change the stem & bars.

so what I want to know is what makes the Fox fork so good or better than the R/S
    Reba Race.
    thanks.
    Last edited by idinomac; 02-05-2010 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac
    ...so what I want to know is what makes the Fox fork so good or better than the R/S
    Reba Race.
    thanks.
    From what I've read re. the Fox vs. the Reba- it's a matter of preference, but you'll probably see more votes for the Fox if you put it to a vote.

Reba may be a bit more flexy in the 100mm configuration than the Fox, but it's more adjustable and you get an included handlebar lockout. The Fox may be a bit more durable. Pretty sure the weights are nearly identical.

***all of the above is based on my interpretation of other people's experience, NOT MY OWN.***

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I went with option 2 and I have a Mamasits that has Sram xo and the Reba so I wanted the
    cockpits to feel close.. As for the BM so far I just put it togather I have only change the Sram FD to a xt and I took the stock rear cassette off & put on a xt 11x34 and I put on
    Salsa carbon bars. I have the bikes all together and now I have to wate till spring to ride
    them, it's all about Skate Skiing right now any how..

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Adh007 - what frame size did you go with? Im torn between the medium and the large? Im 6'0" as well except 185#.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I haven't bitten yet, but the large is the closest match for my existing effective top tube length so I'll probably go with that.
    I'm long armed and long legged with a short torso, if that helps.

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Adh007

I'm the exact opposite, short legs, short arms, long torso. At 6'0" and 230 lbs and a 31.5" cycling inseam, I had my heart set on the large Big Mama for the 24" ett, then I rode a medium set up with a 110 mm stem, Salsa Shaft seatpost and 120 mm reba. It felt great, like an all day on the bike type of comfort which I'm looking for in the BM. The stand over was just where I would want it to be to keep the boys safe.

I ended up ordering the XT build and swapping the Race Face stem and seat post for Salsa units. I also ditched the big ring in favor of a Tooth Fairy bashguard. I was going to totally geek out and get some Salsa skewers, but decided when I upgrade the hubs they will probably be Hadley 10mm and 9 mm bolt on.

I pick the bike up on Sat. and right now I'm foaming at the mouth to ride. East coast and snowed in, so the ride may not happen for a few days...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adh007
    I haven't bitten yet, but the large is the closest match for my existing effective top tube length so I'll probably go with that.
    I'm long armed and long legged with a short torso, if that helps.
    I have the large & I too have long arms & liggs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I went XT group, Complete Bike. also....Small Frame. 3 to 4 days...till it arrives!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorangemen
    Adh007

I'm the exact opposite, short legs, short arms, long torso. At 6'0" and 230 lbs and a 31.5" cycling inseam, I had my heart set on the large Big Mama for the 24" ett, then I rode a medium set up with a 110 mm stem, Salsa Shaft seatpost and 120 mm reba. It felt great, like an all day on the bike type of comfort which I'm looking for in the BM. The stand over was just where I would want it to be to keep the boys safe.

I ended up ordering the XT build and swapping the Race Face stem and seat post for Salsa units. I also ditched the big ring in favor of a Tooth Fairy bashguard. I was going to totally geek out and get some Salsa skewers, but decided when I upgrade the hubs they will probably be Hadley 10mm and 9 mm bolt on.

I pick the bike up on Sat. and right now I'm foaming at the mouth to ride. East coast and snowed in, so the ride may not happen for a few days...
    Damm! I was just reading your post and you most likely have your new BM by now and you guys have been getting pounded with snow, I live in Northern MN. and I couldn't take
    the sitting around and looking at new bikes any more so I went for a snow ride.
    Ride"n"

Members who have read this thread: 0