Bianchi, Fisher, Giant, Salsa- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11

    Bianchi, Fisher, Giant, Salsa

    I figured I'll have to throw down around a grand to get a truly competitive XC hardtail, now I have to decide which one. I can get a good deal on the Kingbee and the Denali, the CrMo has some allure because it doesn't fatigue as fast and isn't quite as rigid, then again stiffness helps, but the Denali comes with mech discs instead of the hydraulics on the Kingbee. I test rode the GF Hoo Koo and the Tassajara and really liked the feel of the geometry but they didn't have the big sur in stock. I'm also intrigued with Giants NRS SE series. The guys at the shop with the Bianchis said I could get a pretty good deal on a Salsa Bandito setup? I also heard that Treks and Fishers had the exact same gemoetry. Anyway, got some advice?

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    53

    I'm in the same boat

    I'm in the same boat. I want a really nice hardtail xc, but need to stay at or under a grand. I've closed in on GF Big Sur, Kona Caldera, Specialiazed Rockhopper, but recently got the hots for more info on Giant XTC 2. Reviews look great, but need more input on comparing to above others. I like the Kona, but limited warranty and not many in southeast.
    What other bikes like the above should we consider.
    Hope you get more replies.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnsheep
    I'm in the same boat. I want a really nice hardtail xc, but need to stay at or under a grand. I've closed in on GF Big Sur, Kona Caldera, Specialiazed Rockhopper, but recently got the hots for more info on Giant XTC 2. Reviews look great, but need more input on comparing to above others. I like the Kona, but limited warranty and not many in southeast.
    What other bikes like the above should we consider.
    Hope you get more replies.

    for around $1000 your best choices are either

    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    OR
    Specialiazed Stumpjumper

    No need to look at any other bikes.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11
    So is the Bianchi Kingbee or Denali or a Salsa Bandito not worth considering even if I can get a better deal on them? The Ibex Trophy 880 disc is cheaper than all of them and has equal components. Can anybody shed some light on this quandry?

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by WyUDevil
    So is the Bianchi Kingbee or Denali or a Salsa Bandito not worth considering even if I can get a better deal on them? The Ibex Trophy 880 disc is cheaper than all of them and has equal components. Can anybody shed some light on this quandry?
    1st of all, does your LBS carry all those smaller brands? I have checked with every bike store in the local Kansas City area, and they don't carry them.

    Unless you know quite a bit about bikes, I would stick with something that the LBS will offer. It will save you quite a bit down the road in terms of free tune-ups and warrenty.

    Why would the Kingbee or Denali better?
    I bought my GF Big Sur for $950 at a local LBS. The Ibex trophy 880 disc looks good, but the MSRP is over $300+ then the Big Sur.

    The Big Sur have a better(debatable) geometry. Better frame (ZR9000 vs Al 7000).
    The Stumpjumper have one of the better fork (fox float RL, the thing is silky smooth).

    Without knowing how much cheaper you can get with the other bikes, I can only look at typical LBS pricing. Which leaves me with only two choice, Stumpjumper and Big Sur.
    It took a few rides to get used to been more stretched out on a genesis frame, once you do, you WILL outclimb other riders.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Xyzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    43

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11
    Well the Ibex is available now for 1035, including shipping, comes with a better shock, hydraulic disc brakes, and the frame carries a lifetime warranty, when I do the math, it adds up to a better deal even than the Big Sur. I can tune the thing up myself or have someone on my cycling team help me out. Right now I'm getting a quote on a Salsa Bandito frame with the same equipment as the Ibex 880 disc. For me, I'll probably go with whatever's cheaper, even though the Ibex frame is about .4 lbs heavier than the Scandium frame, tipping the scales at 3.4 lbs. If I were made of money as everyone else who contributes to this site seems to be, I wouldn't mind going for some of the high end custom frames I've been told about, but I gotta compromise.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by WyUDevil
    Well the Ibex is available now for 1035, including shipping, comes with a better shock, hydraulic disc brakes, and the frame carries a lifetime warranty, when I do the math, it adds up to a better deal even than the Big Sur. I can tune the thing up myself or have someone on my cycling team help me out. Right now I'm getting a quote on a Salsa Bandito frame with the same equipment as the Ibex 880 disc. For me, I'll probably go with whatever's cheaper, even though the Ibex frame is about .4 lbs heavier than the Scandium frame, tipping the scales at 3.4 lbs. If I were made of money as everyone else who contributes to this site seems to be, I wouldn't mind going for some of the high end custom frames I've been told about, but I gotta compromise.

    if you can get the Ibex for 1035, then by all means go for it. It looks like a good deal.

    Oh btw, all GF and Trek also carry a liftetime warranty on the frames. From all the posts on these forums, it looks like GF is pretty good about replacing the frames.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    121

    xc hardtails rock!

    sounds like you're i for a good time. while you're at it, unless you're in a hurry, you can built up a bike like i did... picking up deals on frames/parts, etc on ebay, classifieds.

    mtbr classifieds has some awesome decked out hardtails for under $1000 (full xtr, scandium or 853 steel, smaller makers like cove, gunnar, jamis, kona).

    john

    Quote Originally Posted by WyUDevil
    I figured I'll have to throw down around a grand to get a truly competitive XC hardtail, now I have to decide which one. I can get a good deal on the Kingbee and the Denali, the CrMo has some allure because it doesn't fatigue as fast and isn't quite as rigid, then again stiffness helps, but the Denali comes with mech discs instead of the hydraulics on the Kingbee. I test rode the GF Hoo Koo and the Tassajara and really liked the feel of the geometry but they didn't have the big sur in stock. I'm also intrigued with Giants NRS SE series. The guys at the shop with the Bianchis said I could get a pretty good deal on a Salsa Bandito setup? I also heard that Treks and Fishers had the exact same gemoetry. Anyway, got some advice?
    ride:: ti hardtail

Similar Threads

  1. Titus vs. Leviathan vs Fisher
    By rossixc in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 06:44 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 05:16 PM
  3. Giant Iguana vs Gary Fisher Tassajara
    By adgrant in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 02:24 PM
  4. New 03 Giant VT1 or new 04 Fisher Cake 2 dlx?
    By edeckerpc in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 11:50 AM
  5. Bianchi DISS ---> Salsa Juan Solo Project
    By gatechMTBer in forum Salsa
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.