Best rings - Salsa Pro?? (compact)- Mtbr.com
    On your left.
    Jan 2004

Best rings - Salsa Pro?? (compact)

Are Salsa Pro the best rings for 5-arm compact? I'll be running 20t (steel), 30t, 42t. In those sizes the Salsa Pro's are the only ramped and pinned rings I could find. They are a bit expensive (~$40ea) and would like to know from users if they are worth it.
    M

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Do you Need ramped and pinned rings?

There are tons of great rings out there by Sugino, SR, TA and others that are great quality, light weight and last quite a while.

Sugino has a nice line of ramped/pinned rings if you really want to go that route. They are around $25 for an outer and $18 for a middle.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I don't know - do I?

It seems to me ramps and pins would be a huge benefit to shift speed and consistency. I have the new XT cranks on another bike and marvel at the detail Shimano put into the features on the inside of the middle an big rings. Seems there must be a reason for that.

Sugino rings seem cheap, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places - I will check more into them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    There are tons of great rings out there by Sugino, SR, TA and others that are great quality, light weight and last quite a while.

Sugino has a nice line of ramped/pinned rings if you really want to go that route. They are around $25 for an outer and $18 for a middle.
    M

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

They're Not Really Much Benifit

I see in your info that you started riding in 1998 so I suppose you have only known ramped and pinned rings. In my opinion thry dont really offer any performance advantage. The only time they are helpful is when you are shifting under heavy load (ie grinding up a hill)which is a no-no anyway. The only ramped/pinned rings are on my 2 road bikes becuase I havent had a need nor do I think there are any good Campy replacement rings by other manufacturers.

As far as Sugino goes they have several lines or rings. Some of them are low quality, some high quality. I don't remember their model names off the top of my head so I cant tell you which ones are good. But even their high quality rings are very affordable.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Sugino, etc

I looked for Sugino rings and can only find 20t and 22t. I remember supershift as one of their lines (noted for light weight), but cannot find them new at any online shop.

I guess I'm not willing to risk going without ramps and/or pins since that is all I've known. If the Salsa Pro rings are excellent ( - that is the queston - ), then I'm happy to pay. Sometimes on an unfamiliar course you get into a bad situation and need to stress the drivetrain a bit.

I see in your info that you started riding in 1998 so I suppose you have only known ramped and pinned rings. In my opinion thry dont really offer any performance advantage. The only time they are helpful is when you are shifting under heavy load (ie grinding up a hill)which is a no-no anyway. The only ramped/pinned rings are on my 2 road bikes becuase I havent had a need nor do I think there are any good Campy replacement rings by other manufacturers.

As far as Sugino goes they have several lines or rings. Some of them are low quality, some high quality. I don't remember their model names off the top of my head so I cant tell you which ones are good. But even their high quality rings are very affordable.
    M

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    Are Salsa Pro the best rings for 5-arm compact? I'll be running 20t (steel), 30t, 42t. In those sizes the Salsa Pro's are the only ramped and pinned rings I could find. They are a bit expensive (~$40ea) and would like to know from users if they are worth it.

You choices for 5 arm compact are extremely limited especially in the sizes you listed. Salsa (i.e. QBP) is one of the few brands that still have a nice selection of sizes. I don't think the pins and ramp are worth twice the price. They only work on the upshift which IMO isn't as critical anyway.
    Long Live Long Rides

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Oh Yeah, Never Did Comment On The Salsa's

Excellent might be going a bit far. They are very good rings but you can find rings of the same quality for less money.

I ran some Salsa's in 2001-2002 on my cyclocross bike with good results. I will say that they are deffinately below the quality of a stock Campagnolo or Shimano ring. Better than Race Face in my opinion though. But they cost almost half as much so the trade off there is probably worth it.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Disagree

About the availability. 5 arm rings of compact or standard size are far more plentiful than 4 bolt rings. Quality isn't a very good sorce for them. I've found they only support the latest products.

Do It Yourself
    About the availability. 5 arm rings of compact or standard size are far more plentiful than 4 bolt rings. Quality isn't a very good sorce for them. I've found they only support the latest products.
    So who else currently makes a 30T 94mm chainring?
    Long Live Long Rides

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

A Few Places

Blackspire, Vuelta, Sugino, TA, and "US Made" generic rings have 94mm 30T rings available. I know the TA and Sugino can be had in ramper/pinned versions. I think the blackspire is as well. The Vuelta and "US Made" are flat and there are flat Sugino's.

FSA has a 29

Do It Yourself
    Blackspire, Vuelta, Sugino, TA, and "US Made" generic rings have 94mm 30T rings available. I know the TA and Sugino can be had in ramper/pinned versions. I think the blackspire is as well. The Vuelta and "US Made" are flat and there are flat Sugino's.

FSA has a 29
    Available and currently in production are two different things. Also the "US Made" generic rings at Cambria are QBP Engagement Rings which are the same rings now branded as Salsa. The industry seems to have dropped the 5 arm compact off the map. Everyone is now only doing 104/64 (except XTR ) cranks which greatly limit chainring sizing. I'm a 34T middle kinda guy so it doesn't bother me that much. Other folks are going to be stuck in a couple years when 5 bolt is going to become a vintage collector's item.
    Long Live Long Rides

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Yes, Thank You Shimano

For inventing the 4 arm chainring. What a mistake that was for everyone else to jump on that bandwagon. Yes, lets increase the stress on the chainring...yes a lovely idea.

I wouldnt worry too much about 5 bolt compact rings dying though. While US companies may have abaonoded them European and Japanese companys still support that standard.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

4-arm killed the compact star

Looking at the top crank manufacturers they are all going 4-arm. RaceFace, FSA, TruVativ, Shimano. RaceFace is no longer making Turbine or Next cranks?! Compact rings are available in the common sizes (i.e. typical for 4-arm) but my intention with going compact is to leverage the smaller BC and use smaller rings - and those sizes are rare. Down the road compact rings will be as difficult to get as 110/74. I think this topic deserves it's own thread.

It is good to know that the Cambia US Made rings are decent quality. They look like punched sheetmetal in their pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Available and currently in production are two different things. Also the "US Made" generic rings at Cambria are QBP Engagement Rings which are the same rings now branded as Salsa. The industry seems to have dropped the 5 arm compact off the map. Everyone is now only doing 104/64 (except XTR ) cranks which greatly limit chainring sizing. I'm a 34T middle kinda guy so it doesn't bother me that much. Other folks are going to be stuck in a couple years when 5 bolt is going to become a vintage collector's item.
    M

hands up who wants to die
    I suggest Blackspire Super Pro chainrings. I love mine.
    Their non-ramped DH/DS models are great for single ring applications, as well.

Whatever you do, stay away from Race Face rings.

-rob

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

110/74 availability

[/QUOTE]
    Down the road compact rings will be as difficult to get as 110/74. I think this topic deserves it's own thread.

[\QUOTE]

I guess I must be either more creative in my searches or have better LBS' because neither 94/58 or 110/74 rings in any shape or size have been hard for me to get. There are probably a dozen companies making 110/74 rings and with the "advent" of "compact" road cranks there will only be more companies making them.

You're right that the 94/58 setup will eventually die out but I would say it will be at least 10 years before replacement rings are hard to come by. I can still find inner and middle chainrings for the splined Campy MTB cranks which were last produced in 1995. If you need help getting any sizes send me an email.

Bodhisattva
    How about Cycle Dynamics Ti rings?

Been beating on my middle & granny for close to 2 years with no problems. By comparison, I used to go through alu middle rings every 3 months.
    They're pinned but not ramped. Shift well. Not as good as Shimano but certainly well enough. Occassionally I'll get some chainsuck when downshifting from middle to granny under load but that's my fault.

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/rings.html