Anyone ridder the new Horsethief and Rustler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anyone ridder the new Horsethief and Rustler

I have my second cracked Pony Rustler frame, which thankfully Salsa has agreed to warranty. However they no longer make the Pony Rustler. So I have my choice of a Horsethief, or Rustler.

I love everything about my Pony Rustler (except the frames braking). I have not had a chance to ride either of the new bike, and have little about the Horsethief, and very little about the Rustler. I would be grateful for any personal experiences.

The Original Suspect
    I just switched from a 2018 Pony Rustler to a 2019 Horsethief. I was looking to get a Rustler but found that they changed the geo and slackened it out more and put 2.6 tires on it. The Horsethief has closer geo to the Pony Rustler and the ability to run 27.5+ wheels. I have only a couple rides in but so far I really like it. Climbs well and is responsive and quick on the fast flowy stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I just switched from a 2018 Pony Rustler to a 2019 Horsethief. I was looking to get a Rustler but found that they changed the geo and slackened it out more and put 2.6 tires on it. The Horsethief has closer geo to the Pony Rustler and the ability to run 27.5+ wheels. I have only a couple rides in but so far I really like it. Climbs well and is responsive and quick on the fast flowy stuff.
    I think you are correct. I also found out the complete Rustler is not available yet. So I guess that helps explain the lack of ride reports. I made the decision to get Horsethief GX. I'm looking forward to a ride on the new steed. I will still have my 27+ wheels I can run on it as well. As petty as it is, I am bummed the Horsethief doesn't have the rad paint job of the Rustler GX.

I must say I am really impressed with how Salsa is standing behind their warranty and dealing with giving me the option to get a discount on a complete bike, vs a bare frame.