Any TALL Beargrease owners with an opinion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Any TALL Beargrease owners with an opinion?

Howdy owners...I'm a prospective owner with a question.

There is no salsa dealer near me, and I can't check one out in person, so I'm looking for first hand experience from a tall owner.

I'm 6'5", 36" inseam, and looking at a 2014 XL X9.

Are there any tall owners in here who can share their experiences with the fit?

I'm OK with the size on paper....but always nice to learn from someone's first hand knowledge too.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm 6' 3" with 36.5" inseam and have a 2014 XL Beargrease. To get the front end up high enough for me (44.5" from ground to top of handlebar) I use a 15 degree rise 90 stem and a 2" riser Enve bar. The bike feels spot on set-up like this when running the rolling daryls and 4.0 dillingers. I feel like I have a somewhat shorter torso so the cockpit may feel a bit cramped for you. I have run a 105 +15 stem to stretch mine out a bit and it still has good handling. At your size you might enjoy running a 29+ wheelset on the bear grease which I do for bike packing. It does raise the BB a bit and slows down the handling some but it sure feels like it was built for a big boy. good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's super helpful rueger , thank you. I'm now an owner. Just waiting for it to be delivered.

I was thinking along the same lines, and I've got a longer stem and riser bar ready for when it gets here.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rueger007 View Post
    I'm 6' 3" with 36.5" inseam and have a 2014 XL Beargrease. To get the front end up high enough for me (44.5" from ground to top of handlebar) I use a 15 degree rise 90 stem and a 2" riser Enve bar. The bike feels spot on set-up like this when running the rolling daryls and 4.0 dillingers. I feel like I have a somewhat shorter torso so the cockpit may feel a bit cramped for you. I have run a 105 +15 stem to stretch mine out a bit and it still has good handling. At your size you might enjoy running a 29+ wheelset on the bear grease which I do for bike packing. It does raise the BB a bit and slows down the handling some but it sure feels like it was built for a big boy. good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The XL Beargrease isn't massive, but it isn't tiny. I (6'7", 39" inseam) rode a XXL Ice Cream Truck for a while and it worked just fine. They're kind of similar size, but the Beargrease is more upright, which is good since you've got long legs. You'd probably be fine! If you want me to add any bikes to the chart linked below, let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=665208188
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.