Any plans to build a longer travel Horsethief??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Any plans to build a longer travel Horsethief??

Patiently waiting on you guys to make a longer travel Horsethief! Something with at least 140mm of travel all the way around would be great!!..🤣🤣🤣

Thanks

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    Patiently waiting on you guys to make a longer travel Horsethief! Something with at least 140mm of travel all the way around would be great!!..🤣🤣🤣

Thanks
    I'm not sure Salsa really want to compete in the long-travel 29er market. Doesn't really fit their philosophy.

The HT is still a great bike. Some might say it was ahead of the curve with 29ers, as many of the current competitors have similar geos--I.e. Take a look at the new Tallboy.

If you need bigger squish get the Redpoint, which is a pretty fun bike.

mtbr member
    As a long time Salsa watcher, I assume they will not. I also assume the entire marketplace is going to trend to keeping new 29er designs with 120 or less travel. Yes there will be exceptions, but it will not be the dominant trend. The bad press on the new travel bump on the Trek Fuel 29ers seems to be the turning point. I agree with the common wisdom riders wanting more than 120 should look to 650B and 26er bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The original HT was designed with 140 in front. I have it and it was way ahead of the curve for 2012. I can roll down some burly stuff with it. It just rolls. I demoed the redpoint. Not sure if they had suspension set right because I felt like I bounced down the trail on a pogo stick. I still haven't found something that makes me want to stop riding it. I also can't justify spending 3500 on a frame so I haven't test rode a 5.5 yet..🤣.
    17' Riot
    12' Horsethief
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm relatively new to the Salsa brand. '15 carbon HT was my first. Bought my GF an El Mar as her first real bike this past spring. Good brand that offers value per $. I consider them the boutique brand for the people. I don't see them building a long travel 29er, but anything is possible. They seem to be pushing their 'Adventure by Bike' slogan to the limit by releasing the Redpoint. Does an all mountain 27.5 bike really suit itself to all day back country rides? All the reviews I've read or viewed on the Redpoint have been positive (reference Bike's Bible of Bike Tests for one). sdm74 - I'm guessing you just need more time on setup on the one you demo'd.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If the travel doesn't add weight, then no reason for it to make a bike any worse for 'adventure', assuming it still has a decent pedalling platform. My big goal for this year is a self supported 'enduro' adventure, where I ride with all my bikepacking stuff between key scottish 'steep and nasty' locations taking in all the most fun trails along the way, linked with traffic free cycle paths and singletrack.

I am aiming to use either my Pony Rustler or Orbea Loki (which might become a Woodsmoke if they ever arrive in the UK and I like riding it!)

So yeah, stuffing a bit more travel in the back of the HT/PR wouldn't hurt, and neither would using a longer stroke shock as a 44mm on a 120 bike gets a tough time of it, with very high pressures in the debonair. It wouldn't make it any less capable at covering ground.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalsbikecare View Post
    If the travel doesn't add weight, then no reason for it to make a bike any worse for 'adventure', assuming it still has a decent pedalling platform. My big goal for this year is a self supported 'enduro' adventure, where I ride with all my bikepacking stuff between key scottish 'steep and nasty' locations taking in all the most fun trails along the way, linked with traffic free cycle paths and singletrack.

I am aiming to use either my Pony Rustler or Orbea Loki (which might become a Woodsmoke if they ever arrive in the UK and I like riding it!)

So yeah, stuffing a bit more travel in the back of the HT/PR wouldn't hurt, and neither would using a longer stroke shock as a 44mm on a 120 bike gets a tough time of it, with very high pressures in the debonair. It wouldn't make it any less capable at covering ground.
    I hope you post pics of that trip!!

mtbr member
    They did make that bike. It's called the Redpoint.

They can't be all things to all people, so they've focused. I think they are more aimed at weekend warriors that are going gray, so there's only so much hazard some of us are willing to go for nowadays, so the number of people that want a 29er with that much travel are small. Those that want to bikepack on it are even smaller.

If you want a burly long-travel 29er, there's the Niner RIP9, Evil Wreckoning, Yeti SB5.5, and a few others, but not many. That type of bike is almost entirely 27.5.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter