another "bike" vs. "bike" post(El Santo v. Epic)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Smile another "bike" vs. "bike" post(El Santo v. Epic)

OK, so I work for a shop that give me access to a Specialized Epic Marathon (2007) with Specialized brain shock and a Salsa El Santo for essentially the same price. They are both frame and shock only, and I will move my build from another bike. I have a 4" Fox RLC fork that should work well with either frame. I am concerned that the Specialized may be a bit too twitchy for me, and I have no intentions of racing, but I like the idea of have a bob-free platform on which to carry my 270 lb butt up a hill. The Salsa, OTOH, is sexy, drop-dead gorgeous. However, I have no way to see it or ride a sample before I buy it. I am a bit concerned about the quality on the stock RockShox shock, and I have heard the paint doesn't hold up well (though the paint is a minor concern only). It seems to have a more laid-back geometry than the Epic, which I like, but how does it climb? Have you all found it to be reliable? Sell me on it, please!
    A bit about me and where I ride... I am 6'1", about 270 (on my way to 220) and come from a road background. Despite the road background, I have little to no finesse on a mountain bike. I plow through mud puddles and try to use brute force to get over obstacles. I ride on the Olympic Peninsula with a ton of singletrack that varies from loamy to somewhat rocky. It is often muddy and always hilly. Fire roads are generally well maintained, but only used when absolutely necessary.
    Thanks.
    2011 Tarmac SL3
    2011 Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I suggest you go for the El Santo. It will give you a more subtle and plusher ride. The Epic is designed for race (that's why it has the bob-free platform) and will definitely give you all the benefits going uphill. But, considering the trails that you frequent, the El Santo is more suited.

mtbr member
    the epic is one of my fav bikes, and while 85% of the time id tell people to go with the epic, i think you'd be happier on the salsa.

Members who have read this thread: 0