aluminum spearfish parts availability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

aluminum spearfish parts availability

I built up an aluminum Spearfish a year ago with a Marzocchi LR320 fork. I have concerns for next race season. I broke the lockout lever of the fork in a crash and was able to source the very last one in existence from Fox. So I have serious doubts about the fork long term. Now I see Salsa is not making the Spearfish in aluminum any more. Does anyone have insider info about what they would do about replacement parts especially rear swingarm parts?

I can't afford a new bike. Most of the parts hung on this frameset are fairly new and somewhat high end, but I won't get much for the bike as a complete on the used market.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Try calling salsa. or else think about just upgrading the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've been looking at my options for a new frame/fork. Looks like many companies have jumped on the 148 Boost bandwagon rather quickly or only offer 1x setups or don't sell aluminum frames only. I'm too fat and crash too often for carbon.

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the pivot kits? They're the same carbon or aluminum.

Split Pivot Service Kit | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles

Which also makes me think you could use the same rear swing arm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I will check with the LBS where I got the frameset again. They are a high volume Salsa dealer and have a very good relationship with them. I wasn't really worried about this until my friend how is sponsored by Trek broke his Top Fuel almost missed a race while waiting for a new upper swingarm/seatstay. At that same race I broke my fork. Earlier this year I broke my crankset on a Thursday night group ride and ended up spending more than I wanted to make sure I was ready for that weekend.

I could ride my fatbike or All-Mountain hardtail if the Spearfish was out of commission, but want to do what I can to mitigate any possible issues. The fork is definitely a liability, the aluminum frame replacement parts are probably not as likely to break.

I was considering swapping all my good parts to a newer frame, but it's not looking good considering my budget and new standards.