About to buy a salsa el mariachi SS... question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

About to buy a salsa el mariachi SS... question?

Firstly this is my first post after lots of reading. A BIG thank you to the folks of this forum who've taught me so much in so little time.

I've narrowed my choice down to Salsa Bikes. (though Surly bikes also intrigue me)

I currently don't own any bikes and am about to jump into a 2014 el mariachi Single Speed on clearance for about $1100.

Loved the bike overall, but I was left after the ride thinking "if only this had a few gears". After testing out another bike with gears I could really see the pluses of having gears considering where I'll be riding will have hills.

Sooo, my question is how much would it cost to put a rear gear set in. Thinking something along the lines of a 9, 10 or 11 speed SLX or XT. Bike shop tells me that the following will be needed to convert:
    -wheel
    -chain
    -obvious gears and associated hardware.
    -Alternator dropout for the gears
    and some other miscellaneous items that were needed.

I was quoted around $600-800 for the entire job which seemed a touch out there price wise. If that's the case I said I'd just plop down for the EM2 that I was also eyeing up even though it was a but out of my budget.

My budget was set at $1500, but I was a bit flexible if it's worth it to go a little higher.

Considering Salsa is currently running a sale of $250 off the price of a bike through the end of this month it makes the EM2 a bit easier to reach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Last edited by PwrUsr; 06-29-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: first post disappeared after editing thread title. And now it's back

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Last edited by PwrUsr; 06-29-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: first post disappeared after editing thread title. And now it's back

mtbr member
    If its the most recent version, it should have the alternator dropouts that pretty much let you do anything with it. I'd buy that SS bike, ride the hell out of it, and put gears on it later.

Have you looked at any of the EM3s? Or aren't they available any longer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One thing, the SS specific elmar's are missing the cable guides for derailleurs.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah I saw that and kinda figured as much. Zip ties should work well for that.

But I am really curious price wise how much the upgrade to a rear derailer would cost.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    There might be other costs like.
    Do the Alternator dropouts have the hanger for the rear mech? If not you need a different set.
    Is the rear hub SS specific? If so you need another hub/wheel to use a cassette.

I would say you could get an SLX/XT setup for around 200, maybe cheaper. That's without the crankset.

I would say if you already have a bike with gears, then go for it. Ride it SS for a couple of months, and I bet it'll stay a SS.

I ride an El Mar Ti with a 1x11 setup, and I have a SS.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post
    There might be other costs like.
    Do the Alternator dropouts have the hanger for the rear mech? If not you need a different set.
    Is the rear hub SS specific? If so you need another hub/wheel to use a cassette.

I would say you could get an SLX/XT setup for around 200, maybe cheaper. That's without the crankset.

I would say if you already have a bike with gears, then go for it. Ride it SS for a couple of months, and I bet it'll stay a SS.

I ride an El Mar Ti with a 1x11 setup, and I have a SS.
    No dropout hangers. Wheel is ss specific.
    So yes I'd need both.

I love Love LOVE the white frame color. But the color of the bike is no reason alone to buy it.

For a bit over $2k (thanks to the $250 off until the end of the month) I can get the EM2 which has pretty much everything I'd want. Just a bit over my budget.

That said, if it's going to cost much more than $1600 or so I'd rather just plop down a bit more for the em2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Isn't the El Mar SS equipped with a rigid fork? If you can't afford the EM2 how about the EM3?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Never mind folks... After a visit to the bike shop again tonight and a "let's be real" on where I'll be riding (paved or gravel trails) I made a way different choice...

Picked up last year's salsa warbird 3 that was on clearance for $1300.
    A surprising twist yes. But it really seemed to be the best bike for my riding habits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    good choice with the Warbird, a great bike for sure. i had spare parts around and have in the past hung a rear Der on my SS el mar. 1 x10 with a 42 tooth cog. if i could only have 1 bike in the stable. it would be an El Mar......although it would have a few wheelsets....

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by killarbb View Post
    good choice with the Warbird, a great bike for sure. i had spare parts around and have in the past hung a rear Der on my SS el mar. 1 x10 with a 42 tooth cog. if i could only have 1 bike in the stable. it would be an El Mar......although it would have a few wheelsets....
    Thanks!

It was a tough one since they still had the El Mar SS. That frame color w/racing stripes had me at first look.

But after taking the ss out back to back with the warbird I quickly realized how much better the warbird would be for gravel and fire roads that I'll be mostly riding on. Mainly having the gears to get up to speed without needing to peddle super fast.

Thing Maker
    Apr 2013
    Built the 2015 EM SS as a 1x10:

-142x12 Alternator dropout with Maxle
    -Hope Evo 2 Hub 142x12
    -Stans Arch EX Rim
    -Shimano XT Cassette 12x36
    -Shimano Zee FR der.
    -Shimano Zee Right shifter.
    -Wolf Tooth Narrow Wide 32 ring.

Slammed the dropouts in. Put on Maxxis Crossmark tubless front and rear.

Totally shreds. Want to see a picture?
    The Boombot REX, ultraportable speaker/speakerphone/siri assistant. With the ability to deny phone calls on the trail Huzzah!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKleroy View Post
    Built the 2015 EM SS as a 1x10:

-142x12 Alternator dropout with Maxle
    -Hope Evo 2 Hub 142x12
    -Stans Arch EX Rim
    -Shimano XT Cassette 12x36
    -Shimano Zee FR der.
    -Shimano Zee Right shifter.
    -Wolf Tooth Narrow Wide 32 ring.

Slammed the dropouts in. Put on Maxxis Crossmark tubless front and rear.

Totally shreds. Want to see a picture?
    Sure! Love to see it

But again I'm still happy with the Warbird.