23 pound Salsa Caballero - dual discs.....- Mtbr.com
    Mileage Junkie
    May 2004

23 pound Salsa Caballero - dual discs.....

Finally got her done. I'm going to commit to FS this time, my trusty Kona Kula Primo was sold to keep from tempting me to keep riding the hardtail.

23 pounds (a hair over actually), dual discs, 1498 gram wheels thanks to Mike Garcia, foamie grips which rule, Minute 2 which is ever so smooth, way better than the Marzocchi I was running before (controlled vs. sloppy travel), Marta SL's, pimpin ride. Have to dial it in, but wanted to show the pics. I love that carbon SLR too, it's been on like 3 different builds. I consider it birth control.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    That's a very nice bike... How much travel front and rear? What flavor of Continentals are you running? I

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004

Thanks...

Front has 100mm, rear has 100mm, so it should balance out nicely.

Tires are Conti Super Sonics. They were carry overs from another build, been good though.

See pic for logo.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004
    Explorer for sure, they were like 440 grams according to my sheet. the others were WAY too light for me. The knobs look exactly like my old explorer pro dual-compounds, the ones with the orange stripe up the middle.

I love Pisgah
    One can tell by the blue banner they are SSs. But..theres the ExploreR SS(440gms), and then theres the TwisteR SS(370gms). Which are they? Note I cap'd the "R" because you can see the last letter before the SS logo. Could be either tho....Can't see the center knobs enough to tell.

mtbr member
    You will love that bike more every time your ride it!!! I have a Caballero too, mine is just a bit over 23 pounds too... awesome ride and different to everything else out there! Only had mine about 6 months.

Way to go brother!

Is my rear tire flat?

Nice Salsa!

Is that a seat on those rails? Really nice build. Mine came in at 27.5 with bar ends. You know, even at that weight it climbs so well. I launched off of 1.5-2.0 drops last night and it handled it very well. I would like to swap out the RS Duke for something more beefy and stiffer.... but for now it works. Enjoy, for now I will swap back and forth between the cabby and the Ti hardtail.
    Dennis
    Liberty Lake Wa.

Reviewer/Tester
    Yes, nice.. [ lose the blue tie-lock.]

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    One can tell by the blue banner they are SSs. But..theres the ExploreR SS(440gms), and then theres the TwisteR SS(370gms). Which are they? Note I cap'd the "R" because you can see the last letter before the SS logo. Could be either tho....Can't see the center knobs enough to tell.
    I was wondering as well but the 2.1 gave it away...

really nice bike and the door in the background is quite beautiful as well!

I love Pisgah
    Duh! Your absolutely right(on the 2.1 vs 1.9).

Damn, I must be slipping.

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004

Don't like the blue zip tie??

I had neon pink, yellow, and blue, figured blue would be the LEAST ugly. haha......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    Finally got her done. I'm going to commit to FS this time, my trusty Kona Kula Primo was sold to keep from tempting me to keep riding the hardtail.

23 pounds (a hair over actually), dual discs, 1498 gram wheels thanks to Mike Garcia, foamie grips which rule, Minute 2 which is ever so smooth, way better than the Marzocchi I was running before (controlled vs. sloppy travel), Marta SL's, pimpin ride. Have to dial it in, but wanted to show the pics. I love that carbon SLR too, it's been on like 3 different builds. I consider it birth control.......
    Some have put the IRD seat collar in place of the Salsa flip lock to save some more weight. I am going to do that.

Also you may want to put some protective tape around the top tube by the seat tube where the three cable housings run down, because under suspension travel the housings move alot and will scrape the paint off in one ride. I KNOW from experience.
    Super nice build. How much do you weigh, and what settings do you have for :
    tire pressure
    + air in the rear shock
    - air in the rear shock.

I am trying to dial in my caballero and am having a hard time finding the right settings.

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004

Have no fear......

Have no fear, I put protective Campy tape all over the bike to hopefully ward off the dreaded cable rub. It won't help for the long haul though, haha, but it's worth a shot.

I weigh 145, 150 loaded with water and such, I used 150 +/- in the shock, and it sags about 1/2" on the shock shaft. Seems okay, a little stiff over the little stuff, but it's good overall. I did 150 and THEN took the pump off, so I may have lost a little bit, but it works well for me like that.

Trail rider and racer
    Nice build and even better overall weight. I am curious about your saddle position, but whatever works for you is good. Speaking of saddles that older SLR model is my favorite.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

what size frame, how tall are you?

I am looking to do a similar build. I am 6ft 1in and think I need a 20inch. probably I'll go with the RS Reba shock.

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004
    Trevor -

The saddle feels decent where it is right now. I like to be over the BB as much as possible, and for some reason, that SLR I like pointed down. My others are pretty much flat, but same BB position area.

It's an 18" frame too, I'm 5' 11", but have a 34.25" inseam (to -dude-).