2019 Warbirds- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2019 Warbirds

mtbr member

2019 Warbirds

2019 Warbirds-img_0149.jpg

Hey everyone... I got my 2019 Warbird 105 put together and I just wanted to show it off. Here's a teaser photo, and I've got a full writeup on the build in a blog post here:

New Gravel Bike Day: 2019 Salsa Warbird Carbon 105 700

Photo gallery here:

Salsa Warbird 105 (2019)

I've still got a little tweaking to do (brake bedding, fit, likely cutting the steerer) and weather is crap here in SE Michigan for gravel riding so it may not see use until the spring, but I'm REALLY happy with it so far.

mtbr member

Dude the thing Tha was killing it for me was the red, blue, purplish colors a d you just made it look awesome. I sig the build, the parts you got going, you get that snapped bolt taken care of, just a solid job, now I want one

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post

Dude the thing Tha was killing it for me was the red, blue, purplish colors a d you just made it look awesome. I sig the build, the parts you got going, you get that snapped bolt taken care of, just a solid job, now I want one
    Thank you. I was the same way... The gloss white isn't bad, and I really prefer it over matte because less dirt sticks to it. But those color splotches... Just weren't for me. This tape is 3" wide black reflective Scotchlite stuff. Really, really happy with how it came out.

Going to the Ultegra build would have been a really nice boost, getting me the wheels I wanted (stock), carbon bar/post, and a better look, but I really could justify the $1700 or so extra. I don't really need nor want Di2, so... this was the best approach for me.

I'm not sure what I'll do about the bolt on the fork. I don't see myself using that mount any time soon and it looks good for now, so I think I'll just call it a problem for later... if ever.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike. I'm really looking at this Warbird and a few other gravel bikes. I'm curious how this Warbird will handle steep climbs. Those seat and chain stays without any bracing look really flexy, nice for handling the bumps but I just wonder if it will feel to mushy on climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Sweet bike. I'm really looking at this Warbird and a few other gravel bikes. I'm curious how this Warbird will handle steep climbs. Those seat and chain stays without any bracing look really flexy, nice for handling the bumps but I just wonder if it will feel to mushy on climbs.
    Thank you. I highly doubt it's going to feel mushy. It takes a fair bit of force to flex the frame of a rigid bike. I'm sure it'll feel just fine.

mtbr member
    Couple my friends ordered the ultergra. Been fairly backordered now. Going to look like a grey zebra haha.

I dont mind the green 1x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    I was getting pretty excited about this bike, but all the Salsa dealers have frozen sales until further notice because the Waxwing fork on the Warbird was having some cracking issues. I called Salsa and they said they were close to figuring it out, but it looks like a recall might be issued on the forks only. They won't sell the frame without a fork, so everything is just frozen. Bummer. If anyone hears that sales have restarted and a solution has been reached, please post it here so I know.

mtbr member
    Any updates on the Warbird? Anyone know when it will be for sale again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Any updates on the Warbird? Anyone know when it will be for sale again?
    From what I've heard, Salsa either has started shipping new forks or will be shipping new forks this month for shops to start swapping them out. As of last Saturday that's all I know, but if I hear anything new, I'll update on here. I work part time at a shop that mainly sells salsa, if anyone else on here knows more, maybe they can give a better time frame than I can

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Fantastic bike man! Really love what Salsa is doing!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	1226946

Hey everyone... I got my 2019 Warbird 105 put together and I just wanted to show it off. Here's a teaser photo, and I've got a full writeup on the build in a blog post here:

New Gravel Bike Day: 2019 Salsa Warbird Carbon 105 700

Photo gallery here:

Salsa Warbird 105 (2019)

I've still got a little tweaking to do (brake bedding, fit, likely cutting the steerer) and weather is crap here in SE Michigan for gravel riding so it may not see use until the spring, but I'm REALLY happy with it so far.
    Hello cOnsumer,

i am looking at the Warbird in 56, too. May i ask you about your high and inseam? I am Stuck between 54,5 and 56 frame. I am 178cm and inseam of 81cm.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Normahl View Post
    Hello cOnsumer,

i am looking at the Warbird in 56, too. May i ask you about your high and inseam? I am Stuck between 54,5 and 56 frame. I am 178cm and inseam of 81cm.

Thanks
    Iím a little taller than you at 5í10Ē (180cm?) but have a similar inseam. I went with the 56 as I believe it has the extra water bottle mount in the frame.

I absolutely love my Warbird... HUGE upgrade over my converted 2011 Trek CX bike. I bought the ďredĒ Apex build sight unseen and was initially disappointed by the color as itís closer to pink than red. I bought a set of Velocity Blunt 650b wheels in purple off a buddy and it completely changed the look of the bike and now Iím in love. I regularly receive compliments on the bike and canít wait to see how it looks with the Industry Nine wheelset I ordered earlier this week for Land Run. Iíll try to post a picture when they come in.

I wasnít impacted by the fork recall as Iíve had it on my trainer most of the winter. From what I understand the issue was with impacts (wheelies, jumping curbs, etc) and I donít do much of that on the trainer unless Iíve had a few beers first! My new fork came in last week and I had it installed the next day... canít tell the difference. It sounds like there was an employee at the factory who was a little overzealous in sanding odd the excess carbon from the manufacturing process. Salsa did a nice job of identifying the problem and getting it fixed, although I think they ran into problems getting the fix approved with the government shutdown. They also provided me with a nice goodie bag (top tube bag, couple of side mount water bottle holders, bar tape, tool roll, hat, water bottle, etc).

In terms of performance I couldnít be happier. I was able to get 750 or so miles on the bike outside before the weather turned and was never without a smile on my face. I would have loved to purchase a higher end groupset, but it wasnít in the budget at the time. My plan was to get the Apex build so I would have a Warbird frame and then upgrade components as they wore out. With that said, the Apex stuff has been fantastic and the only drawback is probably a little weight. Performance is spot on. I need to dial in the fit a bit before I start hitting my really long rides this summer, but overall I couldnít be happier.

Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Normahl View Post
    Hello cOnsumer,

Thanks
    I'm about 177cm and wear pants with about a 76cm inseam. I ride size Medium El Mariachis and Mukluk, and a 54cm Vaya with a 110mm stem. I went with a 56cm frame with a 100mm stem.

mtbr member
    Tree Fort Bikes sorted out my fork as soon as it came in as well. I got a chance to toss both on a scale and found the replacement adds 25g. Nothing to worry about, but curious.

I had a problem with my original fork where the light mount bolt on the front of the crown was cross threaded or stuck or something. When I tried to turn it to remove it the head of the screw ripped off. While I could see the aggressive grind/file marks on the flared base of the steerer, they didn't look bad to me.

The additional mass combined with the screw hole working properly makes me wonder if something was awry with the construction of the crown.

Thankfully I have my Vaya still, so I was able to use that on the trainer (and for a handful of outside rides) during winter while the Warbird sat. Right after getting the fork swapped I took it for its first outdoor ride and so far it's great. Really, really happy with the ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    It's crazy to me that this Stop Sell warning went out to shops in November and here we are in April and they still haven't started shipping new Warbirds yet. That's half a year of sales they have miss out on including holiday and spring sales which move the most bikes (at least in North America). Gotta be devastating to their market. The Warbird is basically one of the original gravel race specific bike and right now they aren't even on the market to compete with the booming niche category that is gravel/gravel racing.

Been debating on a Warbird or a Trek Checkpoint for a while now, and though I'd probably rather go with the Salsa, I may just get the Checkpoint since I am tired of waiting on a frozen vendor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    It's crazy to me that this Stop Sell warning went out to shops in November and here we are in April and they still haven't started shipping new Warbirds yet. That's half a year of sales they have miss out on including holiday and spring sales which move the most bikes (at least in North America). Gotta be devastating to their market. The Warbird is basically one of the original gravel race specific bike and right now they aren't even on the market to compete with the booming niche category that is gravel/gravel racing.

Been debating on a Warbird or a Trek Checkpoint for a while now, and though I'd probably rather go with the Salsa, I may just get the Checkpoint since I am tired of waiting on a frozen vendor.
    Not sure which shop is close to you, but the shop near that sells Salsa has all of their warbird up to date with the new forks and out on the floor for sale.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    Not sure which shop is close to you, but the shop near that sells Salsa has all of their warbird up to date with the new forks and out on the floor for sale.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Ahh yes, I just called and it looks like some models and sizes (at least at our shop) are still very back-ordered but they are starting to trickle in.

Now I have to reconsider between a Checkpoint SL5 or save a little cashe and go with a Warbird Tiagra.

Was ready to let this inconvenience do the thinking / deciding for me!

mtbr member
    Tree Fort Bikes sorted out my fork as soon as it came in as well. I got a chance to toss both on a scale and found the replacement adds 25g. Nothing to worry about, but curious.

I had a problem with my original fork where the light mount bolt on the front of the crown was cross threaded or stuck or something. When I tried to turn it to remove it the head of the screw ripped off. While I could see the aggressive grind/file marks on the flared base of the steerer, they didn't look bad to me.

The additional mass combined with the screw hole working properly makes me wonder if something was awry with the construction of the crown.

Thankfully I have my Vaya still, so I was able to use that on the trainer (and for a handful of outside rides) during winter while the Warbird sat. Right after getting the fork swapped I took it for its first outdoor ride and so far it's great. Really, really happy with the ride.
    Hey consumer,

How do you like the warbird? How is it handling the Michigan groads?

Thanks

Terry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    How do you like the warbird? How is it handling the Michigan groads?
    I'm liking it a lot. Did me well at Barry-Roubaix, and it's been fun every time I've ridden it. Switched to an Ultegra RX rear derailleur, and hoping to get it out for a test ride with that soon. Maybe this weekend.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback! I test rode a warbird and cutthroat and decided I want the cutthroat. Should be a fun ride.

T

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Question for you Salsa guys, I'm a mountain biker at heart but I have been getting more into the gravel side of things lately since there are tons of gravel roads around me (more than there are singletrack trails honestly). I jumped the gun a little bit and bought a Journeyman 700 Apex1 a few months ago and it has been pretty good. My question though is would it make sense to throw any money at upgrading the Journeyman (mainly wheels at this point so I can run tubeless) or just to sell that and put some money towards a Warbird? I really am just a little worried about the Journeyman not having the trough axles and if its worth upgrading the wheels at this point or would it not even be worth it? I really see myself doing a lot of miles the rest of this year and possibly entering a few gravel races so I was thinking the Warbird might be a more worthy ride at this point but wanted to get the opinions of some owners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    My question though is would it make sense to throw any money at upgrading the Journeyman (mainly wheels at this point so I can run tubeless) or just to sell that and put some money towards a Warbird?
    The Journeyman is a great bike, and a new set of tubeless-ready wheels won't cost anything near what a new bike would.

If I were in your situation, I'd get a set of wheels and keep riding and enjoying it. I've got some DT Swiss 350 hubs and WTB KOM i23 rims on my Vaya and it's an excellent tubeless wheelset that cost maybe... $400 to build?

You could also look at something like this (https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...heelset-665676 -- DT Swiss C1800) which is the stock wheelset from the 105-level Warbird (and the same rims as the Ultegra level). It's a great wheelset, and your LBS (giving you a deal) or ordering from overseas can get them to you for cheap.

(I bought my CR 1600s from bike-discount.de; shipping takes about two weeks total, and being the full-retail set they come with end caps that'll do everything from QR to TA, so the wheelset would be ready to go on a future bike. They also come with strips/tape and valves. And are built very well.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The Journeyman is a great bike, and a new set of tubeless-ready wheels won't cost anything near what a new bike would.

If I were in your situation, I'd get a set of wheels and keep riding and enjoying it. I've got some DT Swiss 350 hubs and WTB KOM i23 rims on my Vaya and it's an excellent tubeless wheelset that cost maybe... $400 to build?

You could also look at something like this (https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...heelset-665676 -- DT Swiss C1800) which is the stock wheelset from the 105-level Warbird (and the same rims as the Ultegra level). It's a great wheelset, and your LBS (giving you a deal) or ordering from overseas can get them to you for cheap.

(I bought my CR 1600s from bike-discount.de; shipping takes about two weeks total, and being the full-retail set they come with end caps that'll do everything from QR to TA, so the wheelset would be ready to go on a future bike. They also come with strips/tape and valves. And are built very well.)
    I was looking at the Hunt 4 Season Disc wheelset. Any input or opinions on those?

mtbr member
    I was looking at the Hunt 4 Season Disc wheelset. Any input or opinions on those?
    Sorry, no real opinion. I've read good things about Hunt wheelsets, but they are otherwise unknown to me. I know and really like DT's quality so for the same price I'd go with the C 1800s.

DTs you can switch axle type with an endcap swap, those Hunts look like you have to swap the axle itself.

(One concern of mine would be long-term part availability. DT is very good about bearing and rebuild part availability and whatnot. Hunt is just an unknown to me; their hubs are probably rebrands of Formula or so.)

EDIT: Reading further, it looks like Hunt uses adapters as well, not new axles. But the wheels don't come with all the adapters. So... <shrug> Either way, I think new wheels is the better way to go than a new bike. The Journeyman is a good bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sorry, no real opinion. I've read good things about Hunt wheelsets, but they are otherwise unknown to me. I know and really like DT's quality so for the same price I'd go with the C 1800s.

DTs you can switch axle type with an endcap swap, those Hunts look like you have to swap the axle itself.

(One concern of mine would be long-term part availability. DT is very good about bearing and rebuild part availability and whatnot. Hunt is just an unknown to me; their hubs are probably rebrands of Formula or so.)

EDIT: Reading further, it looks like Hunt uses adapters as well, not new axles. But the wheels don't come with all the adapters. So... <shrug> Either way, I think new wheels is the better way to go than a new bike. The Journeyman is a good bike.
    I see the DT actually has a gravel specific lineup now, the G 1800 looks like a solid upgrade.

mtbr member
    I see the DT actually has a gravel specific lineup now, the G 1800 looks like a solid upgrade.
    Those sound good as well. I just like DT wheels.

For what it's worth, the rims on the C 1800 and CR 1600 appear identical spec-wise. And I've ridden my CR 1600s on places where gravel wheels normally shouldn't/wouldn't go (Benson Grade in Marquette, SE Michigan single track, weird-ass "gravel roads" in northern Ontario that were more like river beds). They've been good.