2019 Rustler

Printable View

• 06-14-2019
    RudAwkning
    9 Attachment(s)
    2019 Rustler
    Built this up last week.

Had a 2016 Pony Rustler and loved it, but the BB sat too low with 27.5x2.8s.
    Converted it to a 29er (essentially making it a Horsethief) but the rear tire would "toss my salad" when the dropper was down and the rear suspension compressed. Not a deal breaker but things got a bit sketchy with butt to tire clearance when I went to Moab and Fruita.

I've been riding a rigid SS with 27.5x2.6 tires and have really found that to be the sweet spot for me so when the new Rustler was announced to be designed around this tire size, I figured it would solve a lot of the issues I'd had with the previous incarnation.

I'm using a 29er 140 travel fork with a 51mm offset even though the bike is spec'd for a 27.5 150 travel 37mm offset. Axle to crown is about the same. Haven't decided whether to buy a whole new fork, or just replace the uppers. Or if it's necessary at all.

Still running a GXP crankset with a steel 24mm spindle. John at Enduro Bearings custom built me a BB with a native 24mm ID bearing on the driveside as I was blowing through SRAM BBs with every couple months on my singlespeed, and that seemed to solve the problem on that bike. Bearing has full-contact LLU seals and Black Oxide treatment. Bearings are also easily replaceable, so I don't have to buy a new cupset when they do wear out.

Also had to shim my Orange Lip Lock seat clamp as Salsa decided, for whatever reason, to make all of their new carbon full suspension bikes with the completely non-standard 35.4mm seat clamp diameter. But they only make their orange clamps in 35 or 36.4 (the latter which I already owned). A Sapporo beer can worked nicely

Bike nerdery aside, the bike rides awesome. Only 3 rides in (Joaquin Miller, Mount Tam and Annadel), but I think I've finally found my magic carpet ride!

Just reg'd for Rose To Toads and think I'll be bringing this bike with me. I did it last time on a BMC Fourstroke FS02 with Ardent 2.4s, a 60mm dropper (all that I can fit with the longish seattube) and 100mm of travel and felt a little underbiked.
  • 06-14-2019
    Good looking’ bike
  • 06-27-2019
    9GUY9
    I was starting to wonder if these were even available. This is the first report I've seen of anyone owning one. Nice looking bike, and thanks for the review.