2019 Deadwood- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2019 Deadwood

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

2019 Deadwood

Thoughts on the 2019 Deadwood?

Haven't seen any reviews on the latest models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I’ve got the 17 or 18. Nice enough bike. Been wishing for more travel lately and worried that it may break!! Not sure what the differences are between them. No more plastic bikes for this guy. Good luck with your search.

e=mtb2

"Custom" Deadwoods

Mrs levity and I wanted to try out full-suspension 29+ bikes and decided buy Deadwood framesets and build them up on a trial basis using components from existing bikes. We found a small 2018 carbon frame (sand color) and a large 2019 carbon frame (lime color).

We knew we’d like more travel than the stock Deadwood (120/91mm), so we started with 140mm travel Fox forks. These slackened the fork angle to apx 67°, and increased the trail and raised the bottom bracket a bit. Good things in our view.

We tried the bikes with the OEM shock and didn’t like it - just couldn’t get it dialed for a nice ride. We had Manitou McLeod shocks that we really liked on our Stumpjumpers, so we swapped these into the Deadwoods and it made a huge difference. We used a spacer to reduce the McLeod’s 50mm stroke to 47mm; this is still 3mm more than OEM so it gives ~6-7mm more travel bringing the total closer to 100mm. To compensate for the longer shock eye-to-eye and keep the bottom bracket height from increasing too much we used 2mm offset shock bushings at both ends. The ride and handling was much better than the stock Monarch!

So far we’ve tested two wheelsets and a couple of different tire combinations. Mrs levity runs i45mm rims to plump out Bontrager 29x3 XR2 tires, while I use i30mm rims with 29x3 XR2s, or 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekons to make it feel a bit livelier. (I’ve also used an Innova Transformer 29x3 tire in front; it’s a bit heavier than the XR2 but provides more grip.) Bottom bracket height is ~342mm with the 3.0 tires and ~338 with 2.6.

Mrs levity’s bike came in at ~27.5 lb ready to ride, and mine at ~28.5 lb. Not bad.

We just returned from a trip to the Moab/Canyonlands/Needles area of Utah. The bikes were great fun! The modest rear travel, split pivot rear suspension, and McLeod shock made for efficient pedaling, and the big wheels and tires provided added cushion and grip and helped with roll-over on rocks and ledges as well as flotation in the sand we encountered. We’re petty happy with the bikes, and at this point I’m not sure what we’d change.

Big Mesa view, Navajo Rocks area -

2019 Deadwood-salsas-big-mesa-small.jpg

Intrepid Trail, Dead Horse Point State Park -

2019 Deadwood-salsa-intrepid-small.jpg

2019 Deadwood-salsa-intrepid-jill-small.jpg

Silver Stairs, Needles District -

2019 Deadwood-silver-stairs-small.jpg
    "Every tire size, casing, tread, and pressure is a compromise." mikesee