2018 Salsa FS bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2018 Salsa FS bikes

mtbr member
    No Spearfish or Horsethief listed. Are they discontinued?
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No Spearfish or Horsethief listed. Are they discontinued?
    I asked Salsa a few months ago if they were going “modernize” the Spearfish. I was told: no, we’re getting rid of it.

I didn’t ask (and wasn’t told) about Horsethief....but Spearfish is no more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    It sucks that they don't do a higher end aluminum build on the Pony Rustler. The aluminum NX build is some dog-doo. Then the first carbon model is priced like it should have a pike on it.

Whats the word on the new revelation?

mtbr member
    I know one place that has a 22 aka XL spearfish in that baby blue color if anyone wants a brand new one

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It looks like the Deadwood has inched itself closer to the Spearfish - reducing tire size specifically, and I can only guess that the sales for the Spearfish weren't that high. Too bad, as I thought it was a beautiful XC bike, and it's specs were in the direction a lot of XC bikes are headed (a touch more relaxed). So I'm not entirely sure how they could have "modernized" it, to keep it going. Carbon wheels maybe? Boost? But would it really need Boost?

If you analyze it, you could put light wheels and 2.2" tubeless tires on a Deadwood, take off the dropper, add carbon bars, and a few other weight savers, and you'd essentially have a Spearfish.

My gut tells me the Horsethief will be eliminated as well, and customers will be nudged to the Redpoint (or Deadwood or Pony Rustler), depending on their style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider51 View Post
    It looks like the Deadwood has inched itself closer to the Spearfish - reducing tire size specifically, and I can only guess that the sales for the Spearfish weren't that high. Too bad, as I thought it was a beautiful XC bike, and it's specs were in the direction a lot of XC bikes are headed (a touch more relaxed). So I'm not entirely sure how they could have "modernized" it, to keep it going. Carbon wheels maybe? Boost? But would it really need Boost?

If you analyze it, you could put light wheels and 2.2" tubeless tires on a Deadwood, take off the dropper, add carbon bars, and a few other weight savers, and you'd essentially have a Spearfish.

My gut tells me the Horsethief will be eliminated as well, and customers will be nudged to the Redpoint (or Deadwood or Pony Rustler), depending on their style.
    You make a good point. I will say, I am looking forward to seeing God it in person and taking a test ride. It's not like they did anything ground breaking, the tire reduction did make me wonder, now I'm kind of at an interesting spot. Hardtail or full suspension, other than components that can always be upgraded, I feel kind of torn.

mtbr member

Spearfish was advertised as an all day endurance race bike, so make it 100/100 or 120/110 or similiar...slightly slacker (68 or 68.5) and longer reach. I'll never advocate for BOOST...but all bikes should head straight to 157.

To me, 85 is great for an XC race or X-Terra, but not enough for 100mile/endurance. Others disagree, but that's why they make different things.

At 30.5lbs, the Deadwood is too heavy (to me) for an XC bike, but it's too steep and not enough reach to match up with the Smugglers/Followings/Process111(RIP) of the world. I guess the theory is 95 w/ plus tires = 110, but I'll take the 110 if I can get it.

Also, it seems like $5000 for a carbon bike with GX is the new norm...but that seems pricey to me (not that anyone pays MSRP...just sayin) and I'm certainly not paying that kind of $$$$ to change 1/2 the parts on it to get a bike where I want it. I'd just buy a Smuggler (if I was looking for that) or a Top Fuel and not change anything.

It seems like a middle ground that doesn't make sense to me...but that's why they make different bikes. Deadwood might just be awesome...the yellow one sure is pretty.

R: Horsethief: I imagine it's gone as well...b/c isn't the Pony Rustler as Horsethief anyways? Sell it as a 27.5+/29er a'la: Switchblade, JET9. etc.

mtbr member
    The choices get dizzying after a while, with hair splitting differences between bikes. I find that the Deadwood is quite similar to the Ibis Ripley. It even looks similar. The one standout about the Deadwood (at least the XO1) is it can take 3” tires out of the box. Which makes one wonder why they went to 2.6” this year?

I’m also baffled why many Salsa bikes (Deadwood included) don’t just come tubeless. On a 29+ tire, those tubes are a lot of weight right off the bat. Why even bother with “tubeless ready”?

A question anyone shopping for the Deadwood may be, do you need 2.6-3.0” tires? Are you the person who may actually have two sets of tires, or wheels even? One lightweight for XC riding, and another burly set for the rough stuff? Then this bike may be for you.

I should note I have ridden the 2017 Deadwood and loved it. It rode like a comfortable XC bike, but it was heavy. It would definitely feel a bit twitchy to someone If they were used to something more relaxed with a lot of travel, and a bit sluggish that it was 30lbs.

But you start looking hard at the numbers and everything starts to blur. Yesterday’s endurance XC bike specs is almost today’s short travel bike. For example, if you are good with 2.35” tires and short travel, if you can find a Spearfish, it’s a really nice bike for the money. If you’re going to drop $5k, the 2018 Giant Anthem dropped their head angle way back to 68, and really refined their suspension. It also comes with Eagle XO1, and carbon wheels (and tubeless). You put bigger tires, riser bars and a dropper on it, Shazam, it’s a short travel trail bike.

There are so many similar bikes out there now in this vein. Santa Cruz Tallboy, YT Jeffsy, Niner RDO, Scott Spark, etc, etc. One person climbs aboard them and just has fun riding all day on any terrain, another person climbs aboard the same bike and enters an endurance XC race.
    Last edited by Rider51; 02-21-2018 at 06:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I was told the horsethief is no more. Which sort of makes sense because it and the Pony Rustler share the same frame. Which I was really hoping would get updated. I really wanted a PR/HT but until they update the frame and fix the cracking bottom bracket, I will stay away. Maybe they will offer a Pony Rustler 29 and a Pony Rustler 27.5+ in the future?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Wow, $5,000 for top of the line builds that are all GX and weight 30#. I'm not very impressed with the new offerings. The yellow Deadwood does look really nice though. I didn't look too hard, but I hope frame-sets are available so you can do a high end build if desired.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I wanted to be excited... I am not excited.

mtbr member
    I'm down with the NX build and slap some GX Eagle and let's go, anything else, I'm just wasting money

mtbr member
    I really want to like the Redpoint, but top of the line sporting Pike RC/Monarch RT for 5 grand? There are several other contenders that come in much lower priced with Fox and RS RT3s. Surely Salsa knows this! What exactly is their angle?? Hey, buy this overpriced thing because its a SALSA?!?!? The Diamondback Release 5c is looking better all the time.
    “NICE ASS!”

-Sheriff Buford T. Justice

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coot271 View Post
    I really want to like the Redpoint, but top of the line sporting Pike RC/Monarch RT for 5 grand? There are several other contenders that come in much lower priced with Fox and RS RT3s. Surely Salsa knows this! What exactly is their angle?? Hey, buy this overpriced thing because its a SALSA?!?!? The Diamondback Release 5c is looking better all the time.
    I would get the Release 5c in a heartbeat over the Redpoint. As I said earlier... I want to like Salsa's FS lineup, but there isn't really a reason to. Crap specs. Unaddressed frame issues (i.e. they break a lot). My dad is in a position where he can get screaming deal's on salsas, but he just can't find a reason to purchase any of their FS bikes. This is coming from two salsa fanboys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coot271 View Post
    What exactly is their angle?? Hey, buy this overpriced thing because its a SALSA?!?!?
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're saying!

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Apples to Oranges: comparing a dealer-sold bike to a direct-sold bike is tough.

That being said, I'm not finding a ton of value in the Salsa FS bike lineup.

Want a 29x2.6 bike? Ibis Ripley is a great option.

Want a Redpoint? Lots of competition.

Want a 27.5x2.8-3.0 bike (plus)? Lots of competition.

mtbr member
    IDK to me this thing is looking pretty sexy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    IDK to me this thing is looking pretty sexy...
    You said you wanted the NX, but that's the carbon SLX version. You probably know that though.

The more I think about this new line-up, I agree with others that the prices are just asking too much. They're a cool company, but...

Put another way, if you go back just one year, the Spearfish ran for $2,999 and $3,999 for a really neat XC Endurance bike. The only thing it didn't have was Boost. Granted, this made it a rather specific bike, but it could double as a short travel trail bike to the right rider, and was a really nice bike with a nice weight, at a good price point. For Salsa to say the Deadwood replaces it I think misses the mark. As I and others said, the Deadwood is nice, but now very close to the Ibis Ripley, Canyon Nerve, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Specialized Camber, and several other short travel trail bikes.

I recently found out that one LBS won't be carrying any Salsa FS bikes this year.

mtbr member
    You said you wanted the NX, but that's the carbon SLX version. You probably know that though.

The more I think about this new line-up, I agree with others that the prices are just asking too much. They're a cool company, but...

Put another way, if you go back just one year, the Spearfish ran for $2,999 and $3,999 for a really neat XC Endurance bike. The only thing it didn't have was Boost. Granted, this made it a rather specific bike, but it could double as a short travel trail bike to the right rider, and was a really nice bike with a nice weight, at a good price point. For Salsa to say the Deadwood replaces it I think misses the mark. As I and others said, the Deadwood is nice, but now very close to the Ibis Ripley, Canyon Nerve, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Specialized Camber, and several other short travel trail bikes.

I recently found out that one LBS won't be carrying any Salsa FS bikes this year.
    Oh dang, no Salsa this year, that's crazy. This one was not mine, just a customers bike that I wanted to snaps some pics of, I am holding out for a Cannondale Bad Habit Carbon 2, foubd some sweet deals on last year's model and never owned a Cannondale so thought of giving it a go. If it doesn't workout, I think the list you posted is also promising, just been looking for a new full suspension bike under $2500 and that's proven to be a task.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It seams as though Salsa is redefining them selv's to be a adventure bike brand. In doing so letting go of the average mountain biker they used to suit. All their social media is about various people doing super long races, and tours. Perhaps that niche market is easier for them to sell bikes in right now. I am a total Salsa fan boy, and have loved every Salsa I have owned. But I am getting less and less excited about the brand. I don't do stupid long rides. I ride my mountain bike for a couple hrs at a time, simply to have fun. I want a bike that suits that.

I absolutely love my Pony Rustler, but have already broken one frame, and question how long the replacement will last. Them not addressing the known weak bottom bracket area is a bit disheartening.

I have a 2015 Blackborrow and love it, its a fun fat bike that can clear the biggest rubber. I'm about ready to replace that bike, but they have turned the Blackborrow into some sort of weirdo fat/cargo bike.

Dropping the Horsthief, which was their "normal" trail bike with no replacement is a questionable decision.

Then there is the prices struggling to compete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9 View Post
    ...All their social media is about various people doing super long races, and tours...
    Which is odd since they dropped their XC Endurance bike, the Spearfish, and "replaced" it with the heavier and more burly Deadwood - which was a bike that already existed as a 29+ bike that could handle anything. Of course the Deadwood name ported from one bike to another the year before.

I still think the Deadwood is a pretty cool bike. I just think Salsa has now dropped two of the best bikes they ever made, certainly for the price, in the Spearfish, and El Mariachi.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    If they made the timberjack in steel so many people would be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My only bikes are a beargrease and a bucksaw. Just rolled 1000mi on the beargrease to include a couple of 50mi events. Im hooked on the enduramce events and have my first 12 ht this spring.

The plan was to replace the grease with a spearfish. Such a light and affordable bike... now im looking at the Kona Hei Hei. Sucks they are not offering it anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    IDK to me this thing is looking pretty sexy

I want to like that bike. I really do, but 31 lbs for a 100mm 29er with 29x2.6s for 4k seems almost insane. The previous spearfish x01 was 100 bucks cheaper and came with a better spec (x01, carbon bars) and weighed 24 lbs? Wtf salsa?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I want to like that bike. I really do, but 31 lbs for a 100mm 29er with 29x2.6s for 4k seems almost insane. The previous spearfish x01 was 100 bucks cheaper and came with a better spec (x01, carbon bars) and weighed 24 lbs? Wtf salsa?
    I hear you bro, good thing for me this is not my ride, I just take shots of Katherine people's toys lol.

mtbr member
    Agree that a steel Timberjack would replace the void the El Mariachi left behind.

Believe me pOrk, I hear you on the Spearfish. As much as anyone I was expecting a newer version to come out this year that upped just the few things the 2017 didn't get right. Namely Boost, maybe improving the tires, saddle, or options that include high/mid quality wheels.

You talk about price, the Carbon GX1 was $2,999. That's not cheap, but considering what you got a full carbon XC Endurance bike under 25lbs, it was a very good price. Now, gone, all gone. "Replaced" by the Deadwood, a cool bike, but not the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I hear you bro, good thing for me this is not my ride, I just take shots of Katherine people's toys lol.

Oh I know. Im hust venting. It is sexy fo sho. Maybe if the framesets go on sale next year, ill buy one and build it up as reasonably light as I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Oh I know. Im hust venting. It is sexy fo sho. Maybe if the framesets go on sale next year, ill buy one and build it up as reasonably light as I can.
    Well no FS for me, picked up a Karate Monkey for a steal and I really mean steal, plus where I live, we do not have enough terrain to justify a FS, at least from what I can tell, but ill put pics up as I see them come through the shop

mtbr member
    My Redpoint GX1 should be in by Thursday...I can't wait to get her slapped together
    "Wherever you go, there you are."

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Agree that a steel Timberjack would replace the void the El Mariachi left behind.

Believe me pOrk, I hear you on the Spearfish. As much as anyone I was expecting a newer version to come out this year that upped just the few things the 2017 didn't get right. Namely Boost, maybe improving the tires, saddle, or options that include high/mid quality wheels.

You talk about price, the Carbon GX1 was $2,999. That's not cheap, but considering what you got a full carbon XC Endurance bike under 25lbs, it was a very good price. Now, gone, all gone. "Replaced" by the Deadwood, a cool bike, but not the same.
    Anyone have any info on a new Spearfish model for 2019? I've heard rumors but not seen anything on MTBR. My hope is for 120 or 130 / 100, room for 2.5s and two water bottle mounts.
    Western Montana

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    Anyone have any info on a new Spearfish model for 2019? I've heard rumors but not seen anything on MTBR. My hope is for 120 or 130 / 100, room for 2.5s and two water bottle mounts.
    You might on the right track, I'll wait for more info before I start rumors, just going based on what I have heard, I think clearance might be 2.5/2.6 around there 🤫

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

rth009
    May 2010
    I saw something on them internets that there was an "embargo" on distributing any info on the new bikes imposed at the QBP dealer event. I also thought I saw something about a mid-September disclosure for new bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    I saw something on them internets that there was an "embargo" on distributing any info on the new bikes imposed at the QBP dealer event. I also thought I saw something about a mid-September disclosure for new bikes.
    Possibly, I don't work for Q and I didn't get to go to saddle drive, just a lot of rumors all with the same info, kinda start thinking, if different people have the same info, must be true

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I picked up a Bucksaw GX1 this year on close out 2650.00 and it's a hoot to ride the trails on. Kinda fun riding something different. I may get a deadwood on close out as well the 2017 GX1. @50 I like the bigger tire ride.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/archiv...eadwood_29_gx1
    Jim Roberts
    JBI Armory
    FFL 07 / SOT
    469-236-9507