2016 Vaya Ti XO or 2016 Warbird Carbon Rival 22?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

2016 Vaya Ti XO or 2016 Warbird Carbon Rival 22?

Need help from all you Salsa fans. I have never owned a road or cyclocross bike. I currently own a Ventana El Padrino HT 29er, Ibis Ripley FS 29er and a Specialized Fat Boy fatbike. So for singletrack riding I am pretty set. I live in Michigan and enjoy getting out on the singletracks a lot. However we have a really nice trail called the Clinton River trail which is a big mix of fire roads and pavement. I am not really interested in getting into road riding because of the safety factor. However I'd love to ride the Clinton river trail and ride on the roads at my cottage on Harsens Island where there isn't a ton of traffic. I am thinking the longest ride I'll take is say 30 miles. Maybe someday I'll take longer rides but don't have that kind of time with 3 kids. LOL Just wondering if the Ti Vaya or Carbon Warbird is the better choice.

Just as an FYI I have researched a lot of bikes online Spesh Crux, Spesh Diverge, Ibis Hakkalugi, Santa Cruz Stigmata, Turner Cylosys and a few others and the Salsa bikes seems to have everything I want. It is important to me to be able to have 38-41mm tire capabilities and a comfortable ride. Also my LBS that sells Salsa's is a great shop and I really like the owner. So let me know what you Salsa guys think.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Just remember that the primary function of cyclocross bikes is cyclocross racing. That doesn't mean they can't do other things but there are a ton of gravel bikes available these days with more appropriate geometry. Raleigh for example introduced a steel gravel bike 2 years ago, an alloy one last year and are coming out with a carbon one this year.

If you aren't racing you are probably better off with the Vaya or the Raleigh Tamland, Specialized Diverge, Jamis Renegade, GT Grade, Surley Straggler or the Trek 920. There are lots of options these days. Check them all out
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If I didn't have a Vaya, I would have a Kona rove or maybe a Lynskey Urbanskey. That being said a buddy has a Specialized AWOL that is pretty cool, too.

mtbr member
    Either of these will work for your immediate needs; however, the geometry and their intended purpose is a bit different. Here's how I see them:

Warbird - You won't ever want a rack. You appreciate the relatively more aggressive geometry (at least compared to the Vaya). Weight is more of a concern. You want something that feels a bit faster and a bit more like a road bike.
    Vaya - more on the adventure touring side but you'll never confuse it for a mtn bike. You might want a rack on there some day. You might aim for the B roads more often. You prefer the different, somewhat more relaxed, geometry. Longevity is more of a concern, or you just like the aesthetics/ride quality of Ti.

I have owned a Vaya and still own a custom Ti frame that's equivalent to the Warbird (before they came out with this). They ride and feel very different. If possible take a test spin on each.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately taking either for a demo is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Either of these will work for your immediate needs; however, the geometry and their intended purpose is a bit different. Here's how I see them:

Warbird - You won't ever want a rack. You appreciate the relatively more aggressive geometry (at least compared to the Vaya). Weight is more of a concern. You want something that feels a bit faster and a bit more like a road bike.
    Vaya - more on the adventure touring side but you'll never confuse it for a mtn bike. You might want a rack on there some day. You might aim for the B roads more often. You prefer the different, somewhat more relaxed, geometry. Longevity is more of a concern, or you just like the aesthetics/ride quality of Ti.

I have owned a Vaya and still own a custom Ti frame that's equivalent to the Warbird (before they came out with this). They ride and feel very different. If possible take a test spin on each.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Why can't you demo either bike? That would be a really hard decision to make without getting on either bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonsnack View Post
    Why can't you demo either bike? That would be a really hard decision to make without getting on either bike.
    you'll be hard pressed to find a dealer that stocks either one

The Vaya is a bit burlier. it's a few lbs heavier but it has fender and rack mounts ith a more relaxed geometry (i.e. it won't ride like a race bike at all, it has a more upright riding position). It also has room for bigger tires

the Warbird is more related to a racing bike than the Vaya. It'll ride a lot faster and feel a lot quicker and lighter, but lacks the utility of fenders and racks.

both bikes can easily fit 38-41c tires. The Warbird can't fit much larger than that, however.

if you want an "easier" ride wtih a more relaxed riding position and more utility, go for the Vaya.

If you want a quicker, "racier" ride with better potential to do road rides and both gravel and cyclocross races, then go for the Warbird
    just ride.