2014 spearfish 2/horsethief 2 sizing for 5'8" rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

2014 spearfish 2/horsethief 2 sizing for 5'8" rider

just looking for feedback from folks more knowledgeable than I:

So, i'm bikeless after mine got stolen this past weekend, looking to replace it ( hardtail by another manufacturer, but no current stock available, even if I move up to their Full Sus. model )

Looks like great prices on 2014 Salsa SF 2 & HT 2 near me, but the Salsa size guide puts me in a small, of course only Medium available.
    they are currently in the $1800 - $2000 range, which is at the VERY TOP of my budget.

So, would I really be pushing it with a medium? would shortening up the stem make it acceptable?

The closest dealer is a 3 hour drive ( 1-way), if the medium is absolutely NOT a good idea, i'd pass it up.
    but, if there is a reasonable chance that with a little modification the medium might work, this would be an awesome upgrade from my ex-bike, and the drive might be worthwhile.

Maybe if I talk them into swapping out the 29s for 27.5s the med might be the ticket? or am I smoking something there?

I have found a 2015 SF 2 in my size, but its $200 over my budget and further away, but perhaps the extra $ is worth it? ( newer & my size! )

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

mtbr member
    As a reference point, I'm 5'11" and on a large Horsethief. They recommend a med at my height. I'm happy with the fit, but I like my bikes big. Also, the Horsethief geometry lends itself well to short stems...running a 60mm on mine.

MFG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 5'9" and ride a medium 2014 El Mariachi and a medium 2015 Horsethief.

In my experience, the Salsa sizing guide (a useful baseline reference) tends if anything toward undersizing the bike to the rider, i.e. a rider at the too tall/too short end of the sizing limit for two given frame sizes (175cm in the case of both the S/M Spearfish and S/M Horsethief) will probably find him/herself more comfortable on the larger frame. I loved the fit of my medium El Mariachi and worried that I might find the medium Horsethief too large, but that has not turned out to be the case at all. I was sure that I would at least shorten the stem (stock is 70mm), and while I still might do this, I have not found it immediately necessary. I have ridden a small Spearfish, and found it uncomfortably tight, with the seat jacked way above the handlebars. It was not a fit deficiency that could have been corrected with a stem swap or more spacers- the frame was simply too small. I have also put myself aboard both a large Horsethief and a large Spearfish, and was surprised that, while neither was perfect, each offered a more workable fit than the small-sized option.

Shorter answer: I won't guarantee that the bike will be a good fit, but I do think that it will be worth the drive to find out, especially if you can get a good deal. Just try to have an open mind while you ride the bike. Don't try to talk yourself into or out of the bike because of a general guideline on a webpage (as I almost did!). Best of luck. Either will be a great bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the input you guys...
    Looks like i'm heading out there to test ride that Medium spear or thief after all!

MFG: Thanks for spending the time to put a full thought process down along with your personal experiences.

I usually try to let the bike talk to me about fit & feel, and listen to how the bike folks see the fit from outside the bike... sometimes they will see something that I don't feel because i'm excited about an awesome new bike!

I also need to think about what to get my 12 y/o son - he's riding a cheapo, but still loves to go riding. I'm almost afraid he'll be dragging me out way too often if I get him a real bike!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good luck, though I think the medium will be great for you. I'm 5'8.5" and ride a medium 2014 Spearfish and it fits great. You can always run a shorter stem. I run an 85mm. Let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 5' 9" and ride a medium Spearfish.

Check with your local LBS, as the 2015 Spearfish 3s are marked down to $1699. Last my LBS guy told me, there were still lots left in stock. To that end, the 2015 El Mar 2 is also available at that same price point.

Quote Originally Posted by cbiddick View Post
    Thanks for the input you guys...
    Looks like i'm heading out there to test ride that Medium spear or thief after all!

MFG: Thanks for spending the time to put a full thought process down along with your personal experiences.

I usually try to let the bike talk to me about fit & feel, and listen to how the bike folks see the fit from outside the bike... sometimes they will see something that I don't feel because i'm excited about an awesome new bike!

I also need to think about what to get my 12 y/o son - he's riding a cheapo, but still loves to go riding. I'm almost afraid he'll be dragging me out way too often if I get him a real bike!

Thanks again!

MFG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes! Let us know how it goes for you!

mtbr member
    I'm 174cm and ride medium 2015 Salsa Spearfish Carbon. I'm currently using a 70mm stem and 730mm handlebars
    Have even used it with a 60mm and 80mm stem and all felt fine but I normally prefer a shorter stem.
    Sizing feels fine with a zero set back seat post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks everyone - Made the drive, rode the Medium, they put on a shorter stem for me and that sealed the deal. Felt much better.
    then had to decide between the 2 or the 3 build. in the end, I walked out with the Orange Spearfish 2, talked them into setting it up tubeless for me, because I have goatheads galore in my area. The tubeless ready of the 2 build got me.

In truth the stand-over is just a hair tighter than I like, but i'd say that its right around 3/4 inch, maybe an inch on the outside ( as long as my nards aren't hanging low that day, lol ).
    I'm pretty pumped, i like the orange, though it is not as bright as it appears in photos.

Thanks for talking me into making the drive, I know I will love this bike for a looong time!

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by cbiddick; 04-19-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added standover note

MFG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Congratulations!

The Bible of Bike Tests guys did a video review of that bike last year, and they were quite keen on it. I would have considered one myself had it been available.

Yes, more standover is never a bad thing, but I've never found a bike with a tight fit to have been as problematic as I had expected.

Great call on going for the 2, which comes stock with tubeless-ready rims. It sounds like you would have been making the swap anyway.

You've got yourself a great bike. Enjoy!