2013 El Mariachi Seatpost Options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2013 El Mariachi Seatpost Options

I have a 2013 El Mariachi Ti and need to go from the stock Salsa carbon seatpost to something longer. The stock post is 350mm and I need a 400mm. I am looking for any experience anyone has had with seatposts in the 2013/2014 Ti El Mariachi frames relative to which one will have a nice tight fit without creaking. I do use the carbon past when I insert my post. It always seems that some posts fit better than others in certain frames.

mtbr member
    My 2014 El Mariachi Ti came with a Thomson Elite and I had no issues with it creaking. I have now swapped it out with a Thomson dropper without creaking. I'm not sure if you were wanting to stay carbon or not but that's my experience with my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got a 2013 El Mariachi (steel, black and green), XL. Came with a basic Salsa post. I eventually swapped to my 410mm Thomson that I've had for a decade or so. No noise, no fuss.

mtbr member
    Give some thought to a dropper, they are awesome! I have a Kent Eriksen ti post on my El Mar steel, it feels great and is silent. I highly recommend one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Give some thought to a dropper, they are awesome! I have a Kent Eriksen ti post on my El Mar steel, it feels great and is silent. I highly recommend one.
    I have thought several times about picking up an Eriksen ti post. I hear nothing but great things about them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    the salsa Ti post is pretty nice unit as well......i have one that has spent time in my Vaya and in a Pugsley.......nice on both bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I appreciate all of the feedback given on this. I think I am actually going to try the Thomson post. I like how tough they seem to be and from what I have read they do have a little bit of give engineered into them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't know about any give... If anything, I'd think they're a little stiffer than a standard aluminum post. Most posts are a simple tube, with a constant wall thickness. Thomson posts are actually thicker tubing on the front and back of the post (internally of course). Regardless, if you want a seatpost that will last forever, can't go wrong. They're kind of the Chris King of seatposts. Nothing flashy, but practically guaranteed to last as long as your bike, maybe more.

rth009
    May 2010
    I too agree there is no "give" in a Thomson. If you want give, stick with carbon. I use the Race Face Next carbon seatposts on mt El Mar and Muk. The adjustment is way superior to a thomson, they come in 400 mm length, and they are comfortable. If it gets to creaking, I pull it out, clean it off and re-apply carbon grease and its quiet until it needs to be cleaned in a month or 2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use a Niner RDO 450mm post on my El Mariachi. That one is designed to have a little give and it's nice and comfy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I ended up ordering a Truvativ Noir T30 based on the recommendation of a good friend who has several on his bikes. Looking forward to seeing how the fit is in this frame. Love the bike so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Too late for you now Ranger, but I ride my El-Mar ti with a Thomson 410mm Setback and Bel Air ti railed saddle. My buddy told me the thought the bent version would have a little more give than the in-line. I've no idea whether his theory is true but I like the ride.