2012 El Mariachi Ti Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2012 El Mariachi Ti Build

Finally completed... Only waiting on the correct rotors (Ashima's). Sorry for bad pics, too dark outside by the time I picked it up and got home. Special thanks to Braden and crew at Carytown Bicycle Company for working with me and putting it all together.

2012 Salsa El Mariachi Ti (Medium)
    Fox 32 Float 29 100mm Tapered w/ Kashima
    Stan's ZTR Arch w/ Maxxis Ignitors (Tubeless)
    Full 2012 XT Components
    Fizik Tundra 2 Saddle
    Thompson Elite Seatpost & X4 Stem
    Niner Carbon Flat Top Bars
    Oury Lock On Grips
    Cane Creek Series 40 Headset

mtbr member
    One decent shot outside at the shop...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    that is one sweet ass build my brother, very very nice. Also curious what she might weigh?

mtbr member
    Thanks! Sorry I was so excited when I picked it up I didn't think about it. I don't have any scales but will get it weighed next time I'm out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Schweet!

mtbr member
    That thing looks freakin sweet, great job on the build

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We still need the weight!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Beautiful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    We still need the weight!
    I know... Still waiting on a scale to arrive...

mtbr member
    Installed some new white hoops, Arch EX's w/ Racing Ralph's & Rocket Ron's. Waiting on a Ti seat post, bars, and stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What Ti bar are you going for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    What Ti bar are you going for?
    Moots post, stem, and bar.

Not really that big!
    Feb 2004
    WOW! That is one hot looking bike. You're going to love the Moots post. Congrats.
    Just Ridin' Along

Bicycle Addict
    Bike envy. A rep to you sir!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Thanks all! Current weight is at 24lbs. 12oz. with the Ti seat post and rest as pictured above in latest pic. Still awaiting Ti stem and bars.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Weight

That is a respectable weight. Nice build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronism View Post
    Thanksall! Current weight is at 24lbs. 12oz. with the Ti seat post and rest as pictured above in latest pic. Still awaiting Ti stem and bars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Beautiful!! Did you switch the tires out? The latter picture shows Schwalbe tires instead of the Maxxis tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90supercal View Post
    Beautiful!! Did you switch the tires out? The latter picture shows Schwalbe tires instead of the Maxxis tires.
    Thanks! I actually swapped out the regular black Arch wheels for white Arch EX's (w/ Ice Tech rotors) and the Schwalbe tires. I have since added a Moots Ti seat post. The Moots Ti stem should be here any day now and the bars sometime this month...

Latest pic: (Yes I have ridden it just been compelled to clean it after each ride. )

mtbr member
    that bike doesn't suck
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    that;s a nice weight, how many grams are you looking to shed when the rest of the Moots parts come in, Im sitting on 26lbs on my small frame steelie, but will be dropping another 355 grams when my new Ritchey seatpost and seat come in, my current stock Specialized post and Lookin Gel seat weigh 750 grams alone.
    Thats a great build bro, that Moots stuff is sweet too.

mtbr member
    Thanks A.C. I'll be honest, not really a weight weenie, but dropping a few pounds is always good. I have just been bitten by the Ti bug and wanted to get the Ti cockpit to match. I shouldn't shave too many more ounces off of where I am at now, but the Ti stem & bar should get me just below 24lbs and into the 23lbs.xx territory.

Fast bike-slow rider
    Sweet bike. How does the ti seat post compare to the Thomson you had? I have a Thomson on my ti El Mar and am contemplating a ti seat post as well. Some people have said that if it is not a lay back post that you don't really get the dampening effects and may as well keep the aluminum post. I use a straight post so I won't be going to a lay back.
    Jesse
    Ritchey P650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hope to join the proud El Mar Ti-owners club very soon!
    Ordered my frame early november, but living in the Netherlands (far from the source) I was told the frame would be delivered sometime February.
    I love both the Chronism and the FotoJesse build and personally would add a little color like Jesse did.

I'd also like to know if you experience a noticeable improvement in comfort going from the Thomson to the Moots post. Esthetically I think it's an improvement anyway.
    I have a silver Thomson seatpost and X4 stem waiting for my new build and I wonder if a Ti seatpost upgrade is worth the money comfortwise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have replaced the Thomson seatpost I had on my 2010 El Mar Ti with a straight Eriksen Ti sweetpost and noticed that it was increasing the comfort on bumpy rides. The Thomson seatpost gave this little harshness on bumps that is gone now....

Fast bike-slow rider
    thanks for the info. I am in the middle of endurance race season here in Fl so being comfortable for 6-12hrs on the bike is important. I have been debating the merits of switching to a ti post but al of the people that I know that ride them all ride a set back and that is not an apples to apples comparison regardless of the material it is made from. Just a quick question about your Eriksen Sweetpost- do you have problems with the seat clamp bolt loosening?
    Jesse
    Ritchey P650b

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have ridden with the sweetpost on for a whole year now and have not had a problem with loose bolt.

Fast bike-slow rider
    ok. one of the mechanics at my lbs has one and has had issues. He got a replacement clamp assembly form Eriksen and is still having issues. One of the other guys on my team had one and never had an issue with the clamp.
    Jesse
    Ritchey P650b

mtbr member
    I'll be honest, I haven't had too many rides on either the Thomson post on this bike or the Ti, since I swapped it out so soon and only have had a couple rides on the Ti post. All I would really have to compare to would be a carbon post on my squish bike, and we know that's no comparison.

I have thought about adding some red bits here and there as future upgrades, but for now I am happy with the subdued look of it. I'll be picking up my Ti stem this evening and slapping that on.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've got a year on my Vaytanium's Eriksen sweet post, and it is one of my favorite bits on that bike. No problems at all--never any issues of any kind.

Vaytanium Pics Here...

mtbr member
    A pic as she stands now with the Ti stem installed. Need to cut down the steerer tube and lower the stem a bit. That and gets some new Moots decals to flip on the stem... or just plain remove them. Will try to get some more "natural" background pics tomorrow when it gets back out on the trails...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That is a sweet ride. Awesome. I'm jealous!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    A pic as she stands now with the Ti stem installed. Need to cut down the steerer tube and lower the stem a bit. That and gets some new Moots decals to flip on the stem... or just plain remove them. Will try to get some more "natural" background pics tomorrow when it gets back out on the trails...]
    if you decide to remove the decals, heat them a bit, and as you're removing them spray windex or a soapy water solution on them,....once removed spray the stem, and reapply the decal, from the center of the decal using your finger, sweep the water out from behind it...this trick works on most decals, but can be tricky, heat is your friend for removing it.
    Lookig good, I should grab that Thomson stem n post

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I vote for 'just remove' the decals, FWIW. Cleaner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think we all agree on the great looks, but...how do those El Mar Ti's ride?
    How about ascending, descending, cornering, accelerating and the 'wow-factor'?

Fast bike-slow rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainturion View Post
    I think we all agree on the great looks, but...how do those El Mar Ti's ride?
    How about ascending, descending, cornering, accelerating and the 'wow-factor'?
    Well comparing my ti El Mar to the bikes I owned previously- a Specialized Rockhopper 29er, then a scandium Niner Air9- the El Mar steers faster than the Rockhopper and as quickly as the Niner but offers more stability. It is also a lot stiffer at the bottom bracket than the Niner was- this is where my Niner cracked.

Prior to picking up the ti El Mar I rode several carbon and steel bikes- Orbea Alma, S-Works Stumpy, Niner Air9 Carbon, Niner S.I.R9 and steel El Mar. There is a noticeable ride quality difference comparing the ti El Mar to all of these and I have to say that I am very glad that I did not buy any of the other bikes. There is no way I could go back to a hard tail bike that is not ti anymore.

The ti El Mar climbs as well as any of the other bikes I have ridden, feels better descending than the Niners and corners like it is on rails. As far as accelerating the carbon bikes have an advantage there but only just. The ti El Mar has a little more of a springy feel as opposed to the carbon rigidity when accelerating. I have no regrets going with the ti El Mar over the carbon bikes and this is the bike I ride for endurance and sprint XC racing.
    Jesse
    Ritchey P650b

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not that the Ti frame is in my budget range, but can you say a few words about the ride difference between the steel and Ti versions of the El Mar?

Fast bike-slow rider
    I had a chance to ride the 2011 steel El Mar back to back with my 2010 ti El Mar. The mechanic at my LBS has the steel version and we swapped on bikes on a familiar trail. The ti bike is just much more compliant over rough terrain. Both are stiff and the handling is comparable but the ti is just such a smoother ride. It is an immediately noticeable difference. Both I and my mechanic could tell the difference immediately. I will say this as a caveat- I weigh 190lbs geared up. If you are lighter you may not notice the difference between the steel and ti as much. Originally I had ordered the steel El Mar after my Niner cracked but luckily for me Salsa had a mix up on my order and did not ship the steel bike to my lbs and I was able to work out a deal on the ti frame that they had in store.
    Jesse
    Ritchey P650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You really did your homework, great report on your testing and conclusions!

About the seatpost: if carbon is also 'allowed' as a material for your new comfortable,yet light, seatpost I'd advice you to take a serious look at the Syntace P6 carbon HiFlex seatpost. This is one is really well made (German quality), light AND comfortable!

Fast bike-slow rider
    Well I knew that eventually that I would be replacing the Niner and I began test riding all the bikes I could. Even rode quite a few of the full suspension bikes and decided to stick with a hard tail for now. In my bike demoing I also rode the Fishers by Trek, I didn't mention them though because the geometry doesn't suit my riding style. I have also looked into a carbon post and honestly that may be the route I go just because I know that a good one will also help dampen the chatter from the trail- had one on my Niner for a while. I am contemplating a 3T Doric Team- would go well with my 3T Arx Team stem- post or a ti Lynskey post. Just trying to decide.... too many nice bits to choose from makes it hard.

If you like riding a hard tail I would recommend buying a ti frame... they are worth the $$$$.
    Jesse
    Ritchey P650b

mtbr member
    A little update...

Upgraded the my wheels even further. Picked up a set of Industry 9's laced to Arch EX's. What a difference these wheels have made in the riding experience. The stiffness, yet smooth ride quality along with the super quick engagement. Overall, I have been very happy with my El Mar Ti. It puts the biggest grin on my face whenever I ride.

get down!
    Looking good!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow! Amazing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thats one hellava bike for the bike path

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi, I just joined the family!
    Heres' a picture:

mtbr member
    Very nice Mainturion, thanks for posting the pic. I've been wondering what those red bits would look like just like your setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The forum has been great for minimizing mistakes. I am also building a Ti El Mar. I ordered a Eriksen Sweetpost and Thomson Stem. Doing an XTR drivetrain with hope M4 brakes. The Easton Haven wheels look amazing w the White Bros Loop Fork. I am about a week away from getting this thing rolling. I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatterisbetter View Post
    The forum has been great for minimizing mistakes. I am also building a Ti El Mar. I ordered a Eriksen Sweetpost and Thomson Stem. Doing an XTR drivetrain with hope M4 brakes. The Easton Haven wheels look amazing w the White Bros Loop Fork. I am about a week away from getting this thing rolling. I can't wait.
    You got good taste
    I really like the Kent Eriksen seatpost for the looks and the comfort

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Manturion......It looks like you crossed your derailleur cable under the downtube. How is that working for you? I thought of doing the same to avoid cable rub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Manturion......It looks like you crossed your derailleur cable under the downtube. How is that working for you? I thought of doing the same to avoid cable rub.
    Good observation!
    So far it works well, even in the wet and mud. Of course, the real test will come under freezing conditions, by the end of the year. If it would cause a problem I will switch to Gore Ride-On cables.

The cable-routing is the only thing (and I really mean the only thing) I dislike about my new ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Some better pictures:

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the pics. Which CC headset is that? I'm leaning towards blue bits and am interested in that headset, just in blue. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks again for the pics. Which CC headset is that? I'm leaning towards blue bits and am interested in that headset, just in blue. Thanks
    Mine is the Cane Creek 110 series. If you run a tapered fork, the partnumbers shoud be:
    BAA0151B (for the ZeroStack upper part) and the BAA0160B (for the External Cup lower part). The last B in both codes refers to the color Blue.

If you prefer ChrisKing in blue your choice would be the Inset i7 FN0058 (in combination with a tapered fork).

mtbr member
    After spending a couple months gathering all the parts, I finally finished my build

2012 Large Salsa El Mariachi Ti
    Chris King Inset 7 headset
    Carver Carbon tapered fork
    Ti Seatpost, Stem, Handlebar (Ebay - Tiawanese made)
    IRD Sqr Taper BB
    Sugino XD600 cranks (46-36-26)
    Shimano Sora Ft derailleur
    Shimano XT cassette (12-32)
    SRAM X7 8sp gripshift
    SRAM X9 Rr Deraillleur
    SRAM BB7 discs/FR5 levers
    ESI Chunky grips
    Serfas bar ends
    Flite saddle
    Wheels: Sun CR-18 rims/Shimano XT hubs (training set, looking to upgrade next season)

More pics:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10823...24937495746849
    Last edited by 家ndyA; 06-03-2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: more info
    Randy

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 家ndyA View Post
    After spending a couple months gathering all the parts, I finally finished my build
    Nice bike! Interesting mix of components

How do you like the Serfas bar ends so far (comfort/weight/durability)? I read different opinions about these.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    First I want to apologize for the photos taken w my phone but I wanted to share my ride. The Ti frame is the perfect balance in terms of ride quality and handling. Riding over terrain I have been on before, I am expecting the bike to chatter but never does. Smooth as silk, more responsive than my 26" yet rolls over anything with the Loop fork. The Hope (Spec Ed.) M4 brakes are amazing and look fantastic with the braided cables. XTR is XTR...flawless shifting. The wide Syntace bars inspire confidence, are light strong and the perfect (12 deg) pull back.

This bike made me a better rider...much better!

Bottom line....FUN.

Salsa El Mar Ti - XL
    White Brothers Loop Fork
    Easton Haven Wheels
    Shimano XTR Race cranks, front and rear der, shifters and cassette
    Hope Ind Evo Ltd Ed M4 Brakes, Rotors and Braided cables
    Eriksen "sweetpost"
    Chris King Headset, Bottom bracket
    Syntace Vector 31.8 12 deg Carbon Bars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 El Mariachi Ti Build-img_0503.jpg  

2012 El Mariachi Ti Build-img_0504.jpg  

2012 El Mariachi Ti Build-img_0505.jpg  

2012 El Mariachi Ti Build-img_0506.jpg  

2012 El Mariachi Ti Build-img_0507.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Weight?
    25.5 XL w pedals and cage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainturion View Post
    Nice bike! Interesting mix of components

How do you like the Serfas bar ends so far (comfort/weight/durability)? I read different opinions about these.
    Thanks. Yeah, I went with 8sp because I still had a 8sp XT cassette that was still in great shape and the 8sp Gripshift was easy on the budget and still pretty light. I still like using a sqr taper BB, and had the IRD still available in my parts bin.

I was running an older RaceFace crank with 46/34/24 on my old Niner, and the Sugino was a natural selection for an upgrade on the El Mar for me - plus it was all silver so it matched pretty nicely with my color scheme. I was running a SRAM x-gen FD on my old Niner, but that - and a majority of mtb FD's - top out at 44t big ring limit. In my experience shifting was spotty - go figure. In talking with a mechanic buddy for the LBS I ride for, we talked about using a road FD. So with the 46t big ring on the Sugino, I decided to go with a road triple FD, hence the Sora FD.

The Serfas bar ends do the job. I use them to get that extra hand position for the long pave miles I ride to the local trails. I had a set of Cane Creek bar ends on my Niner, but they felt a tad bit weighty, and these Serfas ones are pretty light. They were on my ex-wife's bike, but we replaced them with a carbon set I had won as a 'door prize' at a race a few years ago because she liked the carbon ones better (I didn't care for them). So far so good as far as durability.
    Last edited by 家ndyA; 06-04-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typos
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatterisbetter View Post
    First I want to apologize for the photos taken w my phone but I wanted to share my ride. The Ti frame is the perfect balance in terms of ride quality and handling. Riding over terrain I have been on before, I am expecting the bike to chatter but never does. Smooth as silk, more responsive than my 26" yet rolls over anything with the Loop fork. The Hope (Spec Ed.) M4 brakes are amazing and look fantastic with the braided cables. XTR is XTR...flawless shifting. The wide Syntace bars inspire confidence, are light strong and the perfect (12 deg) pull back.

This bike made me a better rider...much better!

Bottom line....FUN.

Salsa El Mar Ti - XL
    White Brothers Loop Fork
    Easton Haven Wheels
    Shimano XTR Race cranks, front and rear der, shifters and cassette
    Hope Ind Evo Ltd Ed M4 Brakes, Rotors and Braided cables
    Eriksen "sweetpost"
    Chris King Headset, Bottom bracket
    Syntace Vector 31.8 12 deg Carbon Bars
    Nice! I like the green accents. I had considered the same accent color, but decided to go low profile silver/ti grey.
    Randy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    nice build

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Although I ride a single speed Salsa Selma Ti, I thought I'd weigh in on the seatpost situation here..
    I went to Eriksen set back post from Thomson and noticed a huge improvement. Honestly it has been up there as one of my favorite upgrades. Although I'm standing about 70% of the time (lots of climbing in Western Mass), sitting on Ti for that 30% is so valuable for recovering for the next push.

The compliance from the Eriksen is very noticeable - highly recommended.