2012 El Mariachi Frame Value- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

2012 El Mariachi Frame Value

I am looking to buy a 2012 Salsa El Mariachi frame but wanted to know what is a fair price compared to what he is asking. It is in like new condition. Any input would be great.

Thank you

Chad

Wanna ride bikes?
    like new, $350-400 ish?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    that is a beautiful bike! but a used frame...... $200 It kind of depends on what is included too!

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ i don't disagree, but seeing as they don't make them any more, and they're hard to come by, and still highly desirable, i've noticed prices (asking prices anyway) are pretty high for these kinds of frames.

I would adjust my range down to $300, but i don't think you could buy one that cheap.

guess we'll find out if OP shares the asking price and price paid...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's a 2012 XL. It comes with the frame and new cane creek headset for $395 plus shipping of $35. I can get it with the frame, headset, Thompson set post, and Whiskey 9 15mm carbon fork for $790 or all of the above plus new Deore brakes and slx rotors and a set of 29er wheels with hope pro 2 evo hubs, arch ex rims, and dt supercomp spokes set up tubeless with new nobby Nic tires for $1060. I chose not to get the bar, stem, and drive train since I already have those parts. I agree prices seem high. I have not yet negotiated. Just looking for advice.
    Last edited by CB2423; 11-08-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Wanna ride bikes?
    well, he's got nice components, but price seems a bit high. just depends on wether it's worth it to you? it would certainly be more if you bought those components new.

see if he's willing to negotiate price a bit, or make a package deal if you buy more than just the frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    FWIW I sold a 2012 size L frame with a cracked headtube/downtube weld for $215 on ebay last year. Had full disclosure and pics showing damage.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think if the owner is a very hard riding guy or a big person the frame alone may be worth a couple hundred bux. A petite owner, a housewife type or a very casual off road rider would put the value at twice that. Has this bike had the crap ridden out of it for 5 seasons, or has it hung in the garage rafters?

mtbr member
    $250 tops. Remember it doesn't include warranty. I mean, if the frame was $650 new, with a warranty, then remove the warranty and 4 years of use.

A lot of what you see on eBay is overpriced and therefore doesn't sell for weeks on end until either the seller wisens up or they sell it offline.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    this frame looks brand new. no scuffs or fchips or dings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Check It

Salsa El Mariachi Frame, Large | eBay

and thishttp://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Medium-salsa-el-mariachi-Steel-frame-/222294776702?hash=item33c1cd1b7e:gqsAAOSwA3dYESYJ

I hope these urls work

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bought it. 2012 frame, Whiskey 9 15mm fork, new Cane Creek 40 headset, Thompson 410 set back seat post, seat clamp, axles, 29er wheels with hope pro 2 evo hubs, arch ex rims, and dt supercomp spokes set up tubeless with new Nobby Nic tires , New Deore brakes with new SLX rotors. I have a Salsa Rustler 15mm bar, Ergon cork grips, WTB Pure V saddle, and a set of Sram cranks to go on it. All I will need is a BB and a stem and I should be ridding. I will post pics as soon as it arrives.

I am hoping this bike can pull a lot of different roles...29er SS, 27.5+ SS, and since I am 6'5" tall I am hoping I can a short stem, drop bars, and narrow 29er tires for my backpacking duties.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got the bike. The frame is basically perfect however it looks small for an XL. I have looked up the geo measurements but it's hard to get an accurate number with a tape. I cannot get the ETT to measure 25". It's close but more like 24.5. What is the proper way to measure seat post length? If I measure from the center hole of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube I get 19" which is what the chart says a XL has. If I measure the actual top tube from outside seat post weld to the outside head tube weld I get 23.25".

Any input on a solid way to check. Thanks.