2011 Spearfish vs 2012 Spearfish 2- Mtbr.com
    Bicycle Addict

2011 Spearfish vs 2012 Spearfish 2

I'm needing some advice from the Salsa pros, hope y'all can help. I am going to buy a new bike here in the next few days but I'm torn between two very similar bikes. As the title says I'm looking at 2011 Spearfish Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Spearfish

and the 2012 Spearfish 2
    Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Spearfish 2

I've done my research and noticed that they are very, very similar. Except from the rear shock, color, and the big $600 price difference, what else is different from these two models. Is the $600 difference worth it for the 2012. I must say the orange is killer, but then again, so is the green. Thanks in advance for any help.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd go with the 11 (which I have). That $600 will buy you a lot of tuning from PUSH for the rear shock. Plus the green looks killer.

Bicycle Addict
    Does it need to be tuned a lot? And what is PUSH?
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I would also go with the 2011(which I also have). I wouldn't pay $600 more for a rear lockout and Maxle. I prefer the two tone look of the '11 over the "in your face orange" of the "12 as well. Good luck, great choice either way!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Does it need to be tuned a lot? And what is PUSH?
    I doubt that you'll need any tuning, but if you want to spend money upgrading suspension, PUSH Industries does good work. Just search for them on your search engine of choice.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    I would also go with the 2011(which I also have). I wouldn't pay $600 more for a rear lockout and Maxle. I prefer the two tone look of the '11 over the "in your face orange" of the "12 as well. Good luck, great choice either way!
    So those are the only differences then? Yeah, I don't know if that's worth it.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Troof. I forgot about the rear maxle. The op could always just pick up a 10mm thru axle rear wheel for the 11 and still be cheaper than the 12. Plus he'd have the better color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    Troof. I forgot about the rear maxle. The op could always just pick up a 10mm thru axle rear wheel for the 11 and still be cheaper than the 12. Plus he'd have the better color.
    The Spearfish 2 only has the front Maxle. You have to step up to the Spearfish 1 to get the 142x12 rear.

I consider my '11 Spearfish to be very stiff. I'm sure the 15mm Maxle would be nice but I've never had a problem with fork flex on my qr fork. The front end is very stiff and goes right where you point it. The rear lockout may be nice occasionally. I don't use fork lockouts often and have never had a FS bike with a rear lockout. So I don't know what I'm missing or it doesn't make enough difference to matter.

If you really can't decide, buy the one with the better paint job (whichever color is you're favorite).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Spearfish 2 only has the front Maxle. You have to step up to the Spearfish 1 to get the 142x12 rear.
    That's right. Good catch.

Plebe
    I'm also a 2011 SF owner and I too would go with the 2011 for all the reasons mentioned. Yes, you're essentually paying $600 more for the upgraded shock and maxle. Just not worth it to me. I am completely happy w/ the Monarch R.

Plus, the Aesthetics factor. I think the green and black on the 2011 looks MUCH better than the orange on the 2012.

Birthday Collector
    That $600 difference is at a "2011 clearance price" for any bikes left - the 2011 SF was very close in spec to the SF2, which is kind of the slightly upgraded replacement. I too, like the green of the 2011 and if I could have gotten another one for stock likely would have snagged it for myself... Damn. That said, the Orange does look really cool, IMO but not stealthy if you ride where you don't want to be seen... The SF1 is a lower-cost model on the same frame as the SF2, just in green (no black stays) and no front thru-axle - so if you can't find an '11 in your size, that is a way to keep the price down a bit with the improved rear shock of the '12.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Bicycle Addict
    If you really can't decide, buy the one with the better paint job (whichever color is you're favorite).[/QUOTE]

Haha! This is easier said than done. I like that the 2012 has matching hubs and fork, but with the extra $600 I can upgrade some stuff on the 2011, like the hubs. Any complaints about the Formula hubs so far?
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB
    Any complaints about the Formula hubs so far?
    I put them on another bike and use a dt240/flow wheelset on my Spearfish. They are a bit on the heavy side but otherwise are holding up well on my rigid SS. No issues with them so far (7 months).

Bicycle Addict
    Well fellas, I let my impatience get the best of me. I went to Colonel's in Fort Worth, TX and they had a 2011 Spearfish in a small They also had the Spearfish 2 in a large which I test rode and immediately fell in love with. The color is even more amazing in person, add the matching hubs and fork and it looks killer. Anyway, I didn't want to wait to order the 2011 online so I got the SS 2 for $2600 out the door. I'm very happy with my purchase. Too bad its dark now and I don't have lights.

Excuse the iPhone pics
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Way to go!.. Thats a good looking bike, and hay! you can always duck tape a flash light to the bars!!

Plebe
    Congrats! Actually, the Orange does look a lot better in your pic than the promo pic.

IMO, I would get the bars cut down. If your SF got the same bars mine did, those suckers are 710mm wide.

Any immediate change/upgrade ideas?

Bicycle Addict
    Yeah, the bars! I don't mind the width so much as I mind the sweep. Also, the Conti Race Kings it came with are not that great imo. Other than that I love the bike.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member

Handlebars

Yeah i noticed the sweep difference on my bars. i am using a 4 degree flat bar from Specialized on my other bikes and like it. will change later maybe.

NedwannaB

You know which one I have!

Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    That $600 difference is at a "2011 clearance price" for any bikes left - the 2011 SF was very close in spec to the SF2, which is kind of the slightly upgraded replacement. I too, like the green of the 2011 and if I could have gotten another one for stock likely would have snagged it for myself... Damn. That said, the Orange does look really cool, IMO but not stealthy if you ride where you don't want to be seen... The SF1 is a lower-cost model on the same frame as the SF2, just in green (no black stays) and no front thru-axle - so if you can't find an '11 in your size, that is a way to keep the price down a bit with the improved rear shock of the '12.
    And you know my predominent SS HT history. The problem that I'm pondering with now is keeping the SF. Unfortunately I just put a new set of Havens w/ tubelss 2.3's and 20mm lowers on my Kula. Very satisfied, thus my dilema.

So your thoughts? I here PUSH really likes what they can do with the RS Monarchs. Do you think it's worth a trip sending it in for tuning upgrade? I have come to notice more pedal strikes then I'm liking while riding my reg trail routes. And yes, I know these bikes have that neg rep with bb hieght. I'm running 170 cranks as it is. I'm sure if switched the wheels and lowers over on this bike it would do wonders! But to do that I think I'd have to get the suspension dialed in a ittle more.

So Dr?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    After reading lots of reviews/posts/comments, I pulled the trigger today a new 2011 Spearfish complete build from Universal Cycles. All things considered, it looks to me like a great build for the $1999 price.

They only had one 2011 XL left and they are getting mighty hard to find, so I ended up making the jump to FS before I had initially planned (Fall 2012). Oh well. I'm sure my backside will thank me and I'll avoid buying the Thudbuster I was considering for my Felt Nine HT.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
    After reading lots of reviews/posts/comments, I pulled the trigger today a new 2011 Spearfish complete build from Universal Cycles. All things considered, it looks to me like a great build for the $1999 price.

They only had one 2011 XL left and they are getting mighty hard to find, so I ended up making the jump to FS before I had initially planned (Fall 2012). Oh well. I'm sure my backside will thank me and I'll avoid buying the Thudbuster I was considering for my Felt Nine HT.
    Congrats dude! If I wasn't so impatient I would have got a 2011 myself. Have fun waiting and let us know how she builds up.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got back in from an afternoon of trail work. UPS says it will be here Thursday.

Since it comes with Stan's Arch rims and WTB Nanos, I'm now getting everything together to go tubeless with it.

Bicycle Addict
    Just got back in from an afternoon of trail work. UPS says it will be here Thursday.

Since it comes with Stan's Arch rims and WTB Nanos, I'm now getting everything together to go tubeless with it.
    I don't know how you do it... wait that long for a sweet bike. If it wasn't for the delivery time I would have bought the 2011 model.
    On a different note, I hope those Nanos are better than the Contis. I'm pretty sure they are an XC race tire because they're super light, but they just don't hook up in the corners.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    I don't know how you do it... wait that long for a sweet bike. If it wasn't for the delivery time I would have bought the 2011 model.
    I just ordered it last Thursday from Universal Cycles. I reckon a week isn't too bad of a wait.

mtbr member
    I just ordered it last Thursday from Universal Cycles. I reckon a week isn't too bad of a wait.
    I waited 7 months for mine! A week ain't bad!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I waited 7 months for mine! A week ain't bad!
    Was it worth the 7 months wait?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    After riding both back to back over 4 days, while the 2 is a great bike, I prefer the 1 and think the upgrade is worth it (in 2012 bikes).

mtbr member
    Was it worth the 7 months wait?
    I would say yes. I knew a rough delivery date when I placed the order. It wasn't a surprise that I had to wait so long. It's a really great bike, perhaps a little more bike than I need in a place like Iowa. I use it mostly for races and long rides and road trips. I have more fun and fewer aches and pains when I ride it. If it didn't climb so well I don't think I'd like it nearly as much. It really works for my by being a great all around bike. It doesn't excel at one thing(downhills) and suck at another (uphills). It has good balance and really just disappears under me. I forget about the bike and concentrate on having fun and flowing through the trail. And for me mountain biking is all about fun and flow. This bike brings me more of both.

mtbr member

2012 #1 vs. #2??/

Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    After riding both back to back over 4 days, while the 2 is a great bike, I prefer the 1 and think the upgrade is worth it (in 2012 bikes).
    Why is it worth it, based on the ride?