2011 Fargo, Front Fender Gap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2011 Fargo, Front Fender Gap

Built my wife up a new 2011 Fargo and mounted the PlanetBike's Cascade 29er fenders to it. But we've run into a bit of a problem -- there's a ridiculous amount of clearance between the tire and the crown of the fork, leaving the fender nearly three or four inches above the tire. It looks really weird, and reduces the effectiveness of the fender.

Any suggestions for lowering the fender? It's mounted through the holes in the fork.

My 2010 Fargo doesn't have this issue at all. Both bikes running the same 700x38 Schwalbes touring tires.

Thanks folks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Fargo, Front Fender Gap-215905_2028035741068_1249317341_32479353_2418980_n.jpg  

meh
    i have a similar issue, albeit not as bad...some may have to do with my larger tires (2.1 WTB Nano)
    but what i did was mounted the bracket to the rear of the fork crown, looks like you have it in the front...no idea if that helped the clearance thing, but it helped me with my strut adjustments
    was considering adding an extension bracket of sorts down the road possibly, but its working well enough as is, will try to remember to take a pic when i get home

mtbr member
    This is due to the extra length of the suspension corrected fork on the new models. You can add a small bracket to extend the length of the fender mount bracket (picture a rectangle about 1" x 0.5" with a hole in each end)
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Enthusiast
    What seat_boy says. You can buy small brackets at your hardware store. The one I used on a bike a few seasons ago was just a store-bought piece of flat metal about 1 1/2 inches long with a screw hole in either end. I wish I could remember the proper name for what I'm talking about, but they are common and easy to find at any hardware store.

meh
    thanks for the heads up on the bracket, thought it might be a slightly more DIY than that

mtbr member
    I made mine from some random piece of hardware. Even with my meager metal working skills, it was pretty easy.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You could easily modify a reflector mounting bracket to drop the fender down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Other than Planet Bike's Cascadia 29er, does any one else make a 29er fender?

Members who have read this thread: 0