2 New Rides! Asylum & a Dos Niner- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: getaspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12

    2 New Rides! Asylum & a Dos Niner

    Just built up my Asylum after riding my Dos for about a month. Going out for a ride tonite for my maiden voyage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,871
    Quote Originally Posted by getaspin
    Just built up my Asylum after riding my Dos for about a month. Going out for a ride tonite for my maiden voyage.
    Cool, I can't wait to read your comparo.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: getaspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12

    ... and if we just ... like buttah

    Oh man! What a bike!!! The Asylum rides like it has more travel in the rear. never felt like it bottomed out. It feels just like my kiddie wheeled Racer-X. Couch like rear suspension but quick handling woods bike, and accelerates. It weighs in at just a touch over 26lbs but so far on just one ride i'm totally happy with my decision to go with a Large versus a Medium.

    No comparison between the Dos and the Asylum except for the obvious things are the Dos is lighter and rides a little rougher than the Asylum. I like both bikes for what they are. Might have to turn the Dos into a SS or sell it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: getaspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12

    Idea! any ideas???

    I would like to get it down another pound or as close to 24lbs as possible.
    any suggestions? Is the Marta SL the lightest? worried about durability. my LBS wants me to get Hope Minis.

    wheels are Chris King/w Bonti Mustangs.

  5. #5
    featherweight clydesdale
    Reputation: Fattirewilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by getaspin
    I would like to get it down another pound or as close to 24lbs as possible.
    any suggestions? Is the Marta SL the lightest? worried about durability. my LBS wants me to get Hope Minis.

    wheels are Chris King/w Bonti Mustangs.
    Marta SL is lighter http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ype=discbrakes

    You can loose weight by trimming up your housing, and swapping to a lighter seat, foam grips, hollow pin chain, Gripshift, XO rear derail.(won't clank on Horst link), and Syntace stem.

    What tubes are you using?

  6. #6
    The Duuude, man...
    Reputation: ncj01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by getaspin
    Oh man! What a bike!!! The Asylum rides like it has more travel in the rear. never felt like it bottomed out. It feels just like my kiddie wheeled Racer-X. Couch like rear suspension but quick handling woods bike, and accelerates. It weighs in at just a touch over 26lbs but so far on just one ride i'm totally happy with my decision to go with a Large versus a Medium.

    No comparison between the Dos and the Asylum except for the obvious things are the Dos is lighter and rides a little rougher than the Asylum. I like both bikes for what they are. Might have to turn the Dos into a SS or sell it.
    How tall are you? Inseam?

    I ask becuase I'm trying to figure out if I can fit on a Large.

    re: brakes: Hopes are bad to the bone, for certain.
    FS: Everything

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: getaspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12

    Good job! Sizing

    Ncj,

    yeah, i saw your other post about sizing. i went to the speedgoat site and before i bought the asylum they made me fill out the sizing info (btw, i must have just snuck under the radar on the price ($1500). I'm only 5'10" w/ 30" pants inseam. i set my seat height at 74.5mm or ~ 29.75inches. the thing fits me like a glove, like on my old Racer X.

    the thing about the top tube is that w/ a 100mm fork and big wheels it shortens the TT length. in 26" bikes i like to have a 23" TT, but with the 24"TT on this frame it's drops it right in, i may go to a 0 offset seatpost. i don't know how tall you are but it's true they do need to have a size in between the L and XL. for the price of AL you may as well call Titus and get a full custom Ti frame and put Exogrid in it too.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: getaspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12

    Good job! lightweight parts

    I"m currently running SRAM 9.0 SL shifters and rear deraillure. is the XO r. der. lighter? can't be by much.

    i have a feeling the disc brakes is where i'll find the most weight savings.

    i'm using 29er tubes. are 26" tubes THAT much lighter, i'm worried i'll flat more easily.

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Angry Candian with a mullet.....
    By TheSherpa in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM
  2. blast from the past, cut/paste from archived MTB DOC posts
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.