mtbr member
    Dec 2009

What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?

I just picked up a NOS frame for a build. Anyone know what frame this is?

Thanks, drn92
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?-rm1.jpg  

What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?-rm2.jpg  

What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?-rm3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what wheel size is it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    26"

ups and downs
    That has to be going back some time, downtube cable routing and no disc tab and the seat stays meet the seat tube at the top tube junction, and a head tube gusset. The dropouts look odd for a Rocky too. It would have to be a pre-1999 frame but those are modern decals. Are the decals under clearcoat? Is the head tube faced and reamed? What's the serial number, and is it punched across the BB shell?

What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?-rm1.jpg

What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?-rm2.jpg

What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?-rm3.jpg

Here's a 1998 Blizzard, and this was a pretty common configuration of a Rocky steel frame from the era before disc tabs. The extension of the seat tube above the top tube is typically 3" and the clamp slot is always on the front side of the seat tube. Note the seat stays meet the seat tube above the top tube junction.

What Rocky Mountain Frame is This?-blizzard-1998.jpg

Did you buy this from someone reputable? There's always a chance it might be a counterfeit.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 05-31-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well ... He seemed reputable. The frame is in the shop, so I'll see if I can get the serial number. I know something was stamped on the bottoms bracket but I did not write it down.

Thanks for the into!

Drn92

ups and downs
    The RMB urban commuter bikes had downtube cable routing, but most of those were 700C wheels. The commuter bikes had similar rack mounts to those. But even those bikes had a forward facing seat post clamp slot and the seat stays meeting above the top tube.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I heard back from Rocky Mountain ... it is either a Hammer or a Vertex, but not made in Canada. A bit of a bummer but I think it will still be a great upgrade and I am looking forward to trying it out.

drn92

Members who have read this thread: 3