vertex rsl-xx- Mtbr.com

Thread: vertex rsl-xx

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

vertex rsl-xx

hi, I can use sram xx cranks 156 q factor in RM vertex rsl team 2010? i like this frame so much but i have to use a narrow q factor.

ups and downs
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...ifications.pdf

Using a pair of digital calipers I measure 122mm across the outside of the chainstays on my Vertex RSL at 175-190mm from the centre of the cranks. The minimum clearance shown is 131.4mm but that only leaves a little over 4mm of clearance per side. It would be very very tight.

I measure 81mm of width at the L2 distance of 60mm, and about 97mm width at L3 (87-90mm).

Maybe RMB-PM will chime in with some definitive info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vertex rsl-xx-xx-q-factor.gif  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm running an XO chainset on a GXP BB with no problems - if you can find some dimensions for that for comparitive purposes, that might help you.

I did look at the XX chainset but decided that an XO colour coordinated better with the bike! (and I wasn't sure if the XX chainset I saw on offer would fit!)

Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks a lot, the other size is 166, or I have to see other options in 162-163 like rotor or frm...

ups and downs
    I just remembered, the other thing you'll have to do is trim the guide key on the back of a 10 speed direct mount FD, the slot in the frame won't allow enough vertical travel to get down to the right height. The 9 speed triple crank versions all work fine, but the 10 speed derailleur sits quite a bit lower so the guide key is longer on the derailleur.

vertex rsl-xx-vertex-team-frame-09.jpg

vertex rsl-xx-2008_1004new0037.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 12-24-2010 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ok, thanks! dremel? haha

ups and downs
    Dremel or a hacksaw and file. You don't need to remove a lot so it's pretty easy. While you have the hacksaw out you can slice off the top pull cable stop too. On the XT direct mount FD that saved 5gms.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 12-25-2010 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    XO is 167 Q factor... Maybe Marmo can take a snapshot of crank clearance, and we can see if there is room to shave 5mm off to clear the 156 XX cranks...

Or you could just get the 166 XX cranks!
    Director of Product
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks a lot, xx 166, lighter than xo...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another question...now I'm riding scott scale, size m, 44 cm seat tube and 57,5cm effective top tube. I'm 174cm and 82 cm inside leg and use 74 cm from bb to top of saddle. The Vertex team rsl in size medium it's ok for me? 42,7 cm seat tube and 58,5 cm effective top tube, 31.3 cm (seatpost+saddle) out of frame its ok? the large size i think it's bigger for me but i have long legs...

ups and downs
    HTT is the guiding dimension, you can always play with seatpost length, but the HTT should fit. As long as there's 100mm of seatpost in the frame you're OK. If 575mm HTT is a good fit now then you should be able to make 585mm work with stem length and seatpost offset adjustment.

I ride a large Vertex RSL and my combined seatpost and saddle extension is 31.1cm and I have 133mm of Race Face Next seatpost left in the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vertex rsl-xx-2010_0306new0010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks a lot! I ride with a 100mm stem and 1 cm offset and I feel ok but i think with 58,5 cm i feel better...

With my actual saddle, specialized toupe (only 3,5 cm height) i have only 11,7 cm seatpost into the frame, with other saddle (fizik antares) maybe 12,2-12,5...

a lot of things to consider to change the frame, the rest it's easy:

Formula r1 brakes
    ztr alpine+sapim cx ray+hope pro II
    magura durin race
    xx cranks
    doric 3t ltd seatpost
    easton ec90
    thanks a lot!!!

ups and downs
    You'll likely need a new 30.9mm seatpost anyway, and the Race Face Next SL is 400mm long, and the ENVE Composites seatpost is 400mm and nice and light too.

Members who have read this thread: 0