Suzi Q for the summer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Suzi Q for the summer

Has anyone put summer weight tyres on their Suzi Q? what did you choose?

i can't find much available. i'm considering some Maxxis Chronicles in 27.5 x 3.0 but i'm thinking they might be too narrow for the 65mm rims - anyone tried them?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyape View Post
    Has anyone put summer weight tyres on their Suzi Q? what did you choose?

i can't find much available. i'm considering some Maxxis Chronicles in 27.5 x 3.0 but i'm thinking they might be too narrow for the 65mm rims - anyone tried them?

thanks
    I did maxxis minions in a 29x3.0 width. I did get a second set of wheels for the bike though and the 29 setup is awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Suzi with Maxxis Chronicles in 27.5 x 3.0 can be seen here:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2291540/

The profile of the tire will get altered on the stock rims, that's for sure. It might increase the rolling resistance or have other negative impacts, cause rim hits, etc. I myself am not ruling out this option though. Maybe someday. 29+ would be better, but the aluminum version is not compatible with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adub1978 View Post
    I did maxxis minions in a 29x3.0 width. I did get a second set of wheels for the bike though and the 29 setup is awesome.
    This works? 29x3??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nimm_zwei View Post
    Suzi with Maxxis Chronicles in 27.5 x 3.0 can be seen here:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2291540/

The profile of the tire will get altered on the stock rims, that's for sure. It might increase the rolling resistance or have other negative impacts, cause rim hits, etc. I myself am not ruling out this option though. Maybe someday. 29+ would be better, but the aluminum version is not compatible with that.
    Cant see it being much different than the hodag on a 80mm.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whezy View Post
    This works? 29x3??

Yes, it certainly does. Running DHF 3.0 on a 29X45mm rim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by survivalofthefattest View Post
    Yes, it certainly does. Running DHF 3.0 on a 29X45mm rim
    Great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Iím fairly sure it's only the carbon frame that can accept 29+.

I love my Suzi Q year round, but found I liked it even better with some extra cush in the front so added a Mastodon STD Pro. I was told not to get the EXT because it would make contact with the frame. Unfortunately, it seems the STD will not accommodate 29+, so I won't get a chance to try it unless I go back to the carbon fork. One more thing to think about if you think a suspension fork might be in your future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I wonder whether aluminum Suzi frame would take up 29x2.6" tire in the back. Could be just fine in combination with full on 3.00" in the front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I was wondering if anyone explored putting their Suzi-Q into summer mode, beyond what is posted in this dated thread?

I have a 2017 A50 and I've been scheming on how to make it sort of a gravel type summer ride - maxing out the chainring & possibly a narrow 29er wheelset?

I did an unscientific measurement of the 3.8 Minion FBF on the stock 65mm rim, vs a 2.4 on a 35mm 29er rim and eyeballed the 29er at about 0.5" shorter than the 27.5fat

I realize Rocky state the carbon frame will accommodate 29+ while the alloy will not. I'm curious if there are any real world examples of 29+ in the alloy frame. Or if anyone has built up a set of normal width 29er wheels for a Suzi-Q? I would suspect this might lower the BB more than would be desirable.

I'd rather have another wheelset kicking around than another bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have the 2017 Suzi -50 as well and I'll have my summer 29" wheelset ready in 1-2 weeks.

I think if you look at the 27.5fat clearance and then put the wheel side by side with any 29er wheelset, you will get the idea of what will fit the frame. I suspect that the aluminum frame will safely take up max. 29x2.4" rear tire, maybe 2.6". 29+ in the front is what counts for me. I'll post photos when it's done.

Some illustrative pics from the webs are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suzi Q for the summer-908.jpg  

Suzi Q for the summer-909.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I'd be very interested in hearing the details on your 29er wheelset and any other changes to the bike for the [fatbike] offseason. Same for photos and thoughts on how it rides after you've got the wheels on.

I'd expect a bigger chainring would be necessary with a more spritely wheelset. I have a 26t oval with the XT 11-46 cassette and the Sunringle 65/Minion 3.8 spin out a touch under 30km/h.

The blue A30 build in the pictures you posted looks interesting, where did you come across that one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I will post fotos of the setup soon. The blue -30 build is a random google search. It gives you some idea regarding clearance. It looks like a "classic" 29er wheel with 2.20" or 2.35" tire in the back. I guess 2.4" will fit just fine as well, with enough mud clearance. I will be testing 2.6" as well. In the front you have no limitations (barring suspension fork), so 29+ is no problem.

I will definitely keep the stock 28t chainring for the summer as I don't need to be any more faster than normal on pavement etc.
    Last edited by nimm_zwei; 04-22-2020 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just got a used Suzi Q frame, but I don't have 27.5 Fat wheels, so summer mode is all I've got for now. 29+ with 100mm Bluto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suzi Q for the summer-img-7309.jpg