Stumpjumper vs Instinct HELP!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Stumpjumper vs Instinct HELP!!!

I need to make a decision today or tomorrow. Need help. Feel free to be blunt!

Been riding stumpjumper over and over at the shop, it feels nice but already have the new altitude from rocky, love it.

I'm curious about your opinions and why. The geometry is a consideration, I'm affraid the instinct is too similar to the altitude for geometry, then what's the point? (challenge me on this if I'm being ridiculous)

Why am I considering another bike? For me, fat biking isn't fun (I'm in Canada). Plus the trails are groomed by many other fat bikers already so I'm considering a switch to the stumpy 6fattie (plus bike) for winter fun instead and 29er for exercise runs, typically an hour that can be anything from pavement to XCish stuff.

I'm not partial to either brand, I've had bikes from both and they've been just fine. The only portion that makes me slightly partial is, my son rides a rocky (he's 6) and me also riding a rocky makes biking more fun for him. But clearly not a necessity.

I'm really trying to convince myself the stump jumper is the option for me, but I'm drawn towards the new instinct from rocky naturally at this time, for no reason I can really give.

The Stumpjumper price wise, wins. Part spec, wins by a little bit as well.

Links for each bike bellow

Stump jumper
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/st...attie/p/118410

Rocky mountain altitude
    Altitude | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

Rocky mountain instinct
    Instinct | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
    2018 RM Altitude Carbon 90
    2017 All City Macho King
    2016 Salsa Marrakesh
    Yuba Mundo
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2012 Stumpjumper

ride
    As good as that Ohlins rear shock is purported to be, that'd be my number 1 reason to go with the Rocky. The other I would steer clear of is the Roval wheels. Low spoke count and straight pull spokes. We work on a LOT of mountain bikes in our shop and detest anything proprietary. Although the fork and wheels aren't altogether proprietary, you're going to have a harder time finding spokes and/or finding someone that'll rebuild that rear shock. On top of that, if you're doing real mountainbiking in tough terrain, a 24spoke front and 28spoke rear aren't going to cut it, especially if you're hard on wheels.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was under the impression the roval wheels are made for them by DT swiss.

Thanks for the input man, truly valued!

So the instinct would be your choice, despite the fact I have the altitude 18' already? My concern there is too much of the same in two expensive bikes. That's really all that's holding me back from doing the rocky.

My plans are not intense with plus wheels, winter riding. Summertime, i'd switch it to 29er for essentially xc. Altitude for the gnarr.

Trying to fill a hole in the quiver, prefer not to run the altitude all winter if I can help it as it'll be a lot of miles and wear and tear on a steed I want to perform at it's best when it counts.

I'm open to other suggestions. trying to incorporate the 27.5+/29er combo tho.
    2017 All City Macho King
    2016 Salsa Marrakesh
    Yuba Mundo
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2012 Stumpjumper

ride
    The hubs are DT Swiss but that's it (one of the best hubs out there too). For the record, though, I don't like straight pull and/or low spoke count wheels even by DT Look at the Pipeline as well. Ever so slightly different spec outside of the wheels (275+). Exact same frame as the Instinct.

You say "My concern there is too much of the same in two expensive bikes. That's really all that's holding me back from doing the rocky." The Specialized is right in there, as well. 135mm travel, same target audience as the Pipeline/Instinct. Sounds like you just want another bike - go with the one that makes you feel best
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How dare you call me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you my wife? no wait, you can't be, she wouldn't say go with a new bike.

I want the instinct. But March delivery is so far!!

One downfall of instinct vs stumpjumper is when it comes to 27.5+ instinct can only do 2.8 while stumpjump can do 3.25, a real advantage there for the winter conditions persistent here for half the year. Why can't I have it all?
    2017 All City Macho King
    2016 Salsa Marrakesh
    Yuba Mundo
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2012 Stumpjumper