Rocky Mountain warranty and carbon frame reliability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Rocky Mountain warranty and carbon frame reliability

Hello. I am interested in Instinct BC edition frame. Since I have not had any Rocky Mountain bike before, I am wondering how they are with customer support and their carbon frame reliability. I have not seen any frame issue on web search. So I assume they are well built.
    I appreciate any inputs and information.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've had 5 Rocky's over the last 8 years or so. I did have one frame fail in that time. It was a frame with a known bad batch of chain stays. They promptly replaced the failed part. After that was fixed, I have rode the hell out of all of them and still have 3 with no issues what so ever. So I guess I would say, you are not likely to have any issues and if you do, they will take care of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bcyr View Post
    I've had 5 Rocky's over the last 8 years or so. I did have one frame fail in that time. It was a frame with a known bad batch of chain stays. They promptly replaced the failed part. After that was fixed, I have rode the hell out of all of them and still have 3 with no issues what so ever. So I guess I would say, you are not likely to have any issues and if you do, they will take care of it.
    Thank you for your information.

ups and downs
    I've had a few RMB carbon bikes since 2011 and only had one issue with a frame that had the seat tube over-reamed and it was replaced right away. At least half of your warranty experience will be the dealer as all the warranty paperwork happens through the dealer.

The warranty is only valid for the original owner, so be aware of that if considering a used frame.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

rjl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a 2018 Instinct C70 in size XL that I have turned into a BC edition by putting the Ride 9 chip into the slackest position and installing a longer coil shock (DHX2) in the rear. Up front, I've got a 160mm Lyrik.

Bought it 3 years ago this October. It was one of the first that my local shop sold of the new design. Almost all the parts have been replaced in that time. New wheels and hubs, new brakes, new drivetrain, new cranks, new pedals, etc.

I am a heavy rider, at around 6'5" and 270 lb... and that's down about 40 pounds from when I bought this bike. The only frame issue I've had is the rearmost bearing in the chainstay started getting loose (I believe it was on the right side, near the derailleur). Replaced under warranty no problem. My LBS guys are phenomenal, and love their relationship with Rocky.

If it can hold up to my weight (I don't ride easy), it's a testament to the quality of the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rjl View Post
    I have a 2018 Instinct C70 in size XL that I have turned into a BC edition by putting the Ride 9 chip into the slackest position and installing a longer coil shock (DHX2) in the rear. Up front, I've got a 160mm Lyrik.

Bought it 3 years ago this October. It was one of the first that my local shop sold of the new design. Almost all the parts have been replaced in that time. New wheels and hubs, new brakes, new drivetrain, new cranks, new pedals, etc.

I am a heavy rider, at around 6'5" and 270 lb... and that's down about 40 pounds from when I bought this bike. The only frame issue I've had is the rearmost bearing in the chainstay started getting loose (I believe it was on the right side, near the derailleur). Replaced under warranty no problem. My LBS guys are phenomenal, and love their relationship with Rocky.

If it can hold up to my weight (I don't ride easy), it's a testament to the quality of the frame.
    That is good to know. I actually just purchased BC edition frame. It will be my first 29er. So it will be interesting to see how I feel. One main reason I went with Instinct is the geo which is not super long. For 29er, it is not that much different from my 275. Based on reviews and comments I have reading, it is very nimble and poppy. These attributes are exactly what I am after. Also Rocky Mountain carbon frames look very beautiful. Colors are awesome too! I can't wait to ride it.

rjl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You'll love it.

I should also add that in the summer I ride 4 or 5 days a week--maybe more, depending on whether my trails are open (closed when muddy)--for 1.5 to 2 hours per ride. My trails are lots of rocks and roots and dirt. In the winter, trail status won't let me ride as much and daylight won't let me ride as long.

The frame has been great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They just agreed to replace my 2 year old thunderbolt frame that cracked at the headtube