29ers Forever

Rocky Mountain Solo (2018)

Rocky Mountain just released their newest offering in the gravel bike category, and I was wondering what you all thought of it. As soon as they teased at the bike's release I was very interested, but looking at the specs, it doesn't seem that good.
    So I will probably stick with my Trek Crossrip, although I want both of my bikes to be Rockys. (I have an upgraded 2016 Instinct 950 that I love).

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Rocky Mountain just released their newest offering in the gravel bike category, and I was wondering what you all thought of it. As soon as they teased at the bike's release I was very interested, but looking at the specs, it doesn't seem that good.
    So I will probably stick with my Trek Crossrip, although I want both of my bikes to be Rockys. (I have an upgraded 2016 Instinct 950 that I love).
    What part of the specs did not look good to you? For the money, I found the SOLO to be a great deal. Lots of tire clearance, good group, nice rear hub, I enjoy the wide bars with some flare, the geometry is nice with no toe overlap, can run 650B as well I think up to 2.1, can run a dropper post with internal routing, three water bottle mounts, triple cage mounts on either side of the carbon fork.... What's not to love?

Is it just the Aluminum frame thats throwing you off? I'll admit I used to not like AL frames much but lately they have come a long way. I moved from a Carbon CX bike to a Steel Gravel bike and now I am on an AL gravel bike. Kinda the opposite of popular but I do what I think is best for my riding and wallet.

The Solo has been fun so far with just a few mods I plan on doing to get it really dialed in. Would love to hear more about why you opted to not go toward the Solo.

Cheers.

Rocky Mountain Solo (2018)-rm1.jpg

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostmanifesto View Post
    What part of the specs did not look good to you? For the money, I found the SOLO to be a great deal. Lots of tire clearance, good group, nice rear hub, I enjoy the wide bars with some flare, the geometry is nice with no toe overlap, can run 650B as well I think up to 2.1, can run a dropper post with internal routing, three water bottle mounts, triple cage mounts on either side of the carbon fork.... What's not to love?

Is it just the Aluminum frame thats throwing you off? I'll admit I used to not like AL frames much but lately they have come a long way. I moved from a Carbon CX bike to a Steel Gravel bike and now I am on an AL gravel bike. Kinda the opposite of popular but I do what I think is best for my riding and wallet.

The Solo has been fun so far with just a few mods I plan on doing to get it really dialed in. Would love to hear more about why you opted to not go toward the Solo.

Cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rm1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	1193862
    The frame looks amazing, I love the colour and it is super capable. I am glad it is Alloy too, I wouldn't be able to afford carbon. I was just at my LBS today and they have a few laying around, it really is a great looking bike. The only thing that's making me not like it is the fact that it uses SRAM components. I don't like SRAM brakes, and I prefer Shimano drivetrains as well, so I don't really want to buy a bike and then immediately want to change everything on it.
    If it came with Shimano brakes and drivetrain I would buy one in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostmanifesto View Post

Cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rm1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	1193862
    Hi there, what's you long-term review on the Solo? It checks all the boxes for me. But as you mentioned I have tiny bit of concern about AL dropbar bike. In fact, riding partner of mine that (who only rides Ti and Carbon mind you) - suggested I buy a used carbon CX bike rather than a new AL gravel bike. Of course most CX bikes will only clear 35-38mm tires.

Have you done any extra long rides (4hr/50mile+) rides on it? Does the comfort hold up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey man I just replied to your PM but I will share some of my thoughts here too so the masses can have my thoughts as well. Now, I will preface this by saying I know a few people who love this bike. To me, even though I was pretty stoked to have it at first, it failed me on several occasions and I ended up getting rid of it.

Coming from a steel Kona Rove, this bike was much lighter but also much more rough in the dirt. The front fork bounced off of everything. I never felt in control of the bike when it got really rough. The brakes had constant problems so much so that my local bike shop had to grind down the frame to make the mounts level. The wheels came out of true several times within the short 3 months I had the bike. Maybe I just got a lemon but the bike sure wasn't for me. It spent more time in the shop than it did on the trails.

Since then I have built an Ibis Hakka MX and couldn't be happier. I will never purchase another aluminum drop bar bike. The carbon Hakka glides over terrain much like you would expect a carbon XC bike would. I would spend the $700 difference between the two bikes any day of the week. I know not everyone can afford that but that's my two cents.

If you plan on sticking with the SOLO, get the 50 so you are into it for less and spend whatever you can on a nice set of carbon wheels. I have the IBIS D30 700c wheels on my Hakka and they are great. I have over 500 dirt miles on the bike and they are still straight as an arrow.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Hi there, what's you long-term review on the Solo? It checks all the boxes for me. But as you mentioned I have tiny bit of concern about AL dropbar bike. In fact, riding partner of mine that (who only rides Ti and Carbon mind you) - suggested I buy a used carbon CX bike rather than a new AL gravel bike. Of course most CX bikes will only clear 35-38mm tires.

Have you done any extra long rides (4hr/50mile+) rides on it? Does the comfort hold up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Only one ride in and sheís my first gravel bike so take this with a grain of salt, but I had a blast on this bike. Immediately set it up with 650s and 2.2 ardent race front and ikon rear. Just a brief test ride around the lot between the two wheels showed a big difference in the character of the bike. Iím a mountain biker at heart so cross racing and speed will never be my thing with this bike. I bought it to ride dry trails in the winter and go on adventure-y rides in the summer. Iím really enjoying the change of riding style and the versatility so far. Canít wait to bolt some bags and racks to it for some bikepacking.