Rocky Mountain Slayer 2020- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Rocky Mountain Slayer 2020

Hi guys
    Do any of you have any experience with the new Slayer?
    It is a nice Bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Subscribed... Would love to hear some experiences and comparisons to other bikes people have ridden or owned relevant to this category of bike.

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    It supposed to pedal alot better than the numbers suggest. I saw one in a bike shop today... good looking bike.
    2020 Commencal Meta AM 29 Custom
    2019 Knolly Fugitive LT
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2020 Rocky Mountain Solo

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I don't think that is really fair. One bike fails, happens to be during a PB test, and the bike gets dragged through the coals. None of the PB folks can ride like the factory Rocky guys, and they ride this sh*t out of that bike.
    2020 Commencal Meta AM 29 Custom
    2019 Knolly Fugitive LT
    2016 Specialized Fuse
    2020 Rocky Mountain Solo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teethandnails View Post
    I don't think that is really fair. One bike fails, happens to be during a PB test, and the bike gets dragged through the coals. None of the PB folks can ride like the factory Rocky guys, and they ride this sh*t out of that bike.
    It's fair in the sense that Rocky provided a test bike to PB that failed under normal use with very low mileage. So that's really on Rocky. What was PB supposed to do pretend the frame didn't fail? Reading the review itself it seems pretty balanced all things considered.

I agree that it's unfortunate in the sense that Rocky makes tons of bikes and they aren't snapping like twigs all over the place. As a consumer I wouldn't avoid Rocky based on this one incident assuming it remains an isolated case. Rocky has the benefit of a long history of delivering excellent bikes. In the long run this will just be a speed bump for the company not anything major.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Bike Mag Slayer Review
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    They changed the tires to the control tires and left the axle lose. If they wanted to do an honest and fair review, they should have reviewed it with a new triangle or gotten a new bike, and then made aure the bike was actually put together correctly. The idea of pinkbike not assembling the bike correctly, hitting big jumps at a bike park that will torque the rear end and therefore snap it, and then refuse to test another bike over fear of breaking another one is kind of chicken sh*t. The 2 Mikes have alot of influence on mountain bike buyers, and by them condemning rocky like that, due to their own lack of QC, is total crap. They also do their viewers a diservice by refusing to review a bike that we wanted to see reviewed, and in my eyes that effects their credibility.

A friend of mine just bought a Slayer 50 Carbon and I plan on getting the alloy 50 pretty soon. Pinkbike doesn't rule the world, and I have more faith inVitalMTB and Bike Mag at this point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I wonder if you'll see some of the RM EWS team use a Slayer in 2020. I hope so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by teethandnails View Post
    They changed the tires to the control tires and left the axle lose. If they wanted to do an honest and fair review, they should have reviewed it with a new triangle or gotten a new bike, and then made aure the bike was actually put together correctly. The idea of pinkbike not assembling the bike correctly, hitting big jumps at a bike park that will torque the rear end and therefore snap it, and then refuse to test another bike over fear of breaking another one is kind of chicken sh*t. The 2 Mikes have alot of influence on mountain bike buyers, and by them condemning rocky like that, due to their own lack of QC, is total crap. They also do their viewers a diservice by refusing to review a bike that we wanted to see reviewed, and in my eyes that effects their credibility.

A friend of mine just bought a Slayer 50 Carbon and I plan on getting the alloy 50 pretty soon. Pinkbike doesn't rule the world, and I have more faith inVitalMTB and Bike Mag at this point.
    i'm kinda with you on this, and i do think it was probably a freak one off thing. i doubt it will impact Slayer sales much if at all given the other tests and who else rides these things to the max, like Vanderham and Storch, etc.

i say kinda because you may not be giving PB enough credit. they said they had pro mechanics do the changes and check the bikes over in detail, so i'm doubtful it was due to carelessness. but hey, i could be wrong.

i'm a bit surprised that RMB hasn't said a word yet, and maybe they won't. personally i think they should have some analysis and official statement just to show they care enough to have considered the failure worthy of their investigation and consideration.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i gotta say, this bike is also now on my radar. i thought it would be a typical monster park bike, but the Vital (my personal fav, and the reviewer J Harwood, i rank near the top of technical reviewers) review is incredible.

if a bike with this kind of DH chops can be set up to ride and climb like a trail bike (as with the Instinct BC), be fun, playful and comfortable in a variety of terrain, well shit, i'm on board. i know Wade will be coming around this spring with the fleet and i'll be insisting they bring the XL Slayer because it's on the top of the list right now. the steepest setting would almost make this bike a not unreasonable trail bike by the sounds of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    i'm a bit surprised that RMB hasn't said a word yet, and maybe they won't. personally i think they should have some analysis and official statement just to show they care enough to have considered the failure worthy of their investigation and consideration.
    It's hard to do a root cause analysis if your sample size is 1. Assuming there have been no other failures of this type they may not be able to say a whole lot beyond what has been said already.

They may also be thinking radio silence is better than anything they could say at this point given the only failure we've heard about is that one PB test bike. I wouldn't disagree.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    good points.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-rev...slayer-review/

a review from Dec 18 by Singletracks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    there must be very few of these in the wild yet. i called around and checked with the LBS (a significant Rocky dealer) and most shops don't have them yet, or have only just received them in the last couple weeks. to my surprise and excitement, both Dunbar and Corsa (Vangroovy and Squeamish) have them on the floor, and each have a size XL C70 built up. nothing on the Island. i'll be on the mainland in a couple weeks, i'll be sure to get the all important, all telling parking lot test and drop from curb demo in....

mtbr member
    I'm a slayer slut owning 2 x 2017 slayer which I love. The main problem with 2017-2019 Slayer is that they are too light. They are built for a good time not a long time.

That has advantages for me as I can have a light heavy hitting bike. But you can break them of you stuff up big features.

I broke nos 1 slayer on the top tube where the wall thickness was only around 1mm.

New Slayer has fixed that week point by changing the pivot location and adding a cross member.

However they have cheaped out and gone half carbon for new slayer. Wtf? Why, why use a weaker material for the parts that arm most likely to fail? I know why$$$$. Lers make it weaker/heavier and charge the same $$ but make more margin per bike.

New slayer is dead to me because it's now only half carbon.

Rant over.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I'm a slayer slut owning 2 x 2017 slayer which I love. The main problem with 2017-2019 Slayer is that they are too light. They are built for a good time not a long time.

That has advantages for me as I can have a light heavy hitting bike. But you can break them of you stuff up big features.

I broke nos 1 slayer on the top tube where the wall thickness was only around 1mm.

New Slayer has fixed that week point by changing the pivot location and adding a cross member.

However they have cheaped out and gone half carbon for new slayer. Wtf? Why, why use a weaker material for the parts that arm most likely to fail? I know why$$$$. Lers make it weaker/heavier and charge the same $$ but make more margin per bike.

New slayer is dead to me because it's now only half carbon.

Rant over.
    Sorry for geeking out and turning this into a tech forum, I too broke my 2018 slayer top tube and wanted to make some points.

Carbon does have a higher Ultimate Tensile Strength (UTS) that significantly greater than Aluminum. But aluminum is a lot more durable in the sense that it is able to absorb more energy while it deforms either elastically (flex) or even plastically (permanent dent or bend).

Carbon's strength is very dependant on the orientation and layering of the fibers. In working with former aerospace engineers, entire composite engineering dept are in these industries to study and design composite components. And most of the time, they tend apply carbon such that the fibers are in almost pure tensile loading (their strongest property). Any compression or shear and carbon is quite unpredictable.

In short, I feel there is no way that bike mfgs have the financial or technical resources to invest in carbon design, develop and ensure quality control at offshore suppliers. As for the loading your bike sees, it is definitely not pure tension when we land on rock gardens or short a gap.

I think these frames are breaking and all the warranties are driving mfg back towards offering aluminum... not just sales margins. But I do feel that these high prices are simply capitalism's fair market value... and right now, theres a lot of crazy people out there willing to pay more than $10k for a bike. Until that changes with a shift in the economy, prices are going to be steep.

Sorry for geeking out!
    Last edited by Chowmaniac; 01-17-2020 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Any rumors about a 2021 Altitude design update? Maybe more like 2017 Slayer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Why would you ask that in both slayer threads rather than an altitude thread?

Also, I know that dealers had to sign full on NDAs to see the new stuff. They're keeping that shit on lockdown so don't expect the rumor mill to be going any time soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey all,

Probably pulling the trigger on a 2020 Slayer soon. A few questions....

Any idea why the Carbon 50 comes in a hair lighter than the Carbon 70? SLX on the 50 should be heavier than the XT build, so I can't figure it out...

Also, being that the bike is only 1/2 carbon, and $1000 difference from the alloy, wondering if just going Alloy makes sense. i've owned heavy bikes before so I know what to expect, anyone riding the 2020 Alloy? what do you think?

I'm usually hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowmaniac View Post
    Sorry for geeking out and turning this into a tech forum, I too broke my 2018 slayer top tube and wanted to make some points.

Carbon does have a higher Ultimate Tensile Strength (UTS) that significantly greater than Aluminum. But aluminum is a lot more durable in the sense that it is able to absorb more energy...
    I know I'm a little late to the game on this thread, but thanks for the thoughtful response on this. I thought it was fascinating.

I'm usually hungry.
    Hey everyone, I have a '20 Slayer on order, and it should be here at the end of next week. I went with a C70 29er in XL. I have been riding a 2018 Altitude for the last couple of years, so I'm excited to add an even bigger and brawnier Rocky to the mix. I will update this thread with feedback and answer any questions once I have a couple of rides in.
    About me- 6'2" and 185lbs geared up. I live in NorCal and ride everything from Santa Cruz loam to Northstar gnar. I do weekly rides in Pacifica, which has a real good mix of trails.
    And yes, I'll be double checking that rear axle!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kman View Post
    Hey everyone, I have a '20 Slayer on order, and it should be here at the end of next week. I went with a C70 29er in XL. I have been riding a 2018 Altitude for the last couple of years, so I'm excited to add an even bigger and brawnier Rocky to the mix. I will update this thread with feedback and answer any questions once I have a couple of rides in.
    About me- 6'2" and 185lbs geared up. I live in NorCal and ride everything from Santa Cruz loam to Northstar gnar. I do weekly rides in Pacifica, which has a real good mix of trails.
    And yes, I'll be double checking that rear axle!
    ha, you and me both bud. my c70 should arrive on tuesday and the shop better drop everything and get it ready to go, cause i'm bursting at the seams. 6 5, 215 size xl of course. i have a custom wheelset carried forward from outgoing bike, same with handlebar and stem. shop will swap in the 210 dropper and a 30t chainring as it comes stock with a 32. i've gone a bit crazy in prep for this rig, so i also have a Sprindex in 500-550 awaiting instal, a favourite saddle and the 2021 Lyrik air spring upgrade waiting in the wings.

this will be far and away the highest end bike i've ever purchased and it's a bit intimidating. this will be a 'no excuse' bike, there's no trail that anyone (looking in the mirror here) can ride and feel underbiked. if the reviews are to be believed (and i haven't demo'd this thing) it is a great all rounder, good climber, with high speed descending capacity that few bikes have and incredible rear suspension.

i'll post photos and give honest impressions (pros and cons) when i've got a few rides under the belt.

and that rear axle..... realistically, i think PB had a complete fluke. it can happen. it is in the back of my mind though. who knows, maybe i'll get an aftermarket axle. but i have had emails with Jesse Melamed and spoke with Wade Simmons (he's our local rep) and honestly guys, you have to see who rides these bikes and how they ride them. seriously. Wade, Jesse, Remi, Thomas. we're talking about masters of the bike universe here. think about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    new bike day! bike came in probably yesterday but they just said 'be at the shop at 3 today' (they only allow people in the shop by appt right now). they have a couple of alloy Slayers, this is their first carbon in the shop. it's pretty cool, but what new bike isn't?

it's been great weather, until today. natch. rained all day, pouring and cold when i picked up the bike, dang. no question there will be some adjusting as it is a bigger bike with an increase in wheelbase of about 30mms from my outgoing Meta TR.
    build with pedals came in at 34.2 . SG casing MM out back and 2.6 MM in front with Rimpact inserts.

maiden ride was just a shakedown, just trying to get a sense of the bike. timing and body english will feel a bit diff and take time to sort out but it feels pretty comfortable straight away. slippery muddy trails and flat pedals were not helping my adjustment. it's going to be fun getting used to this bike and coming up to speed. i've got the new debonair air spring (top cap and foot nut) waiting in the wings for the first fork service. filthy muddy in 1 quick ride. ah well....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Slayer 2020-img_20200429_181250770.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Slayer 2020-img_20200429_181307685.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Slayer 2020-img_20200429_181410581_hdr.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Slayer 2020-img_20200429_181316534.jpg  

I'm usually hungry.
    Congrats man! Looks amazing! I was told mine arrived yesterday, but it turns out it didn't. Hopefully it will come today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    installed the 2021 airspring upgrade (seal head and foot nut) today. fork feels noticeably different just bouncing around on the road. defo sits higher. will see how it feels on the trail. feeling much more comfortable after a few rides. fork set up, bars and controls dialed in and adjustments to the shock and Sprindex spring rate mid trail, which is just so cool.

xt 12 speed is fooking brilliant and i've got a lower climbing granny than prior bike. the shifting is incredible. overall the cockpit and STA, combined with gearing make this bike a shockingly good climber. firm switch on the roads, then open for trails, the traction and even comfort is awesome. first bike i've had with the reduced offset and it's so steady and easy to handle up tech climbs.

it will take some time to fully adapt and master the bike from a timing and body english perspective. it's definitely a bigger bike in all aspects from my Meta TR (which was a fantastic bike BTW). it's essentially a big scary enduro bike (or whatever you wanna call it) with a trail bike in its back pocket.

it's very early days but i have no doubt, this is the bike was looking for, it's manageable but aspirational. a comfortable super bike that's got your back. **** the pandemic, this is going to be a killer summer on the bike.

I'm usually hungry.
    Okay folks, I went on a couple of rides over the weekend, and I thought I would share an early assessment of the 2020 Slayer C70 29er. Iím 6í2Ē and long limbed, so Iím riding an XL. First off, you should know that the type of riding I enjoy and participate in the most is similar to what you would find in enduro stages. My rides typically start with longer climbs on fire-roads or single-track (800í-2000í), and then there is typically a descent that is furious and on the edge. I will also hit the bike parks a half dozen times a year. For now, I am riding the out-of-box components with just a couple of exceptions. I swapped in some 800mm OneUp carbon bars, and my favorite ODI TL lock-on grips. This helped me avoid cutting the 820mm(!) RaceFace Altas bars that came on the bike. Plus I really like the feel of the OneUp Carbons. I also swapped in some 203mm Ice-tech rotors that I happen to already have. I admit that this was a decision based purely in aesthetic. They pimp. I do have an airshaft upgrade kit that I will be installing this week on the Lyric, but that is just to help keep the air chambers equalized and allow the fork to ride a little higher in its travel. I currently have the Ride4 set to 3 which puts the HTA at 64.5 degrees. My XL Slayer is weighing in at almost exactly 34lbs.
    I would guess that if you are reading this, you already know all the stats on this bike. You likely know that this is a big bike that is attempting to bridge the gap between enduro and DH. And you probably know that Pinkbike broke their Slayerís frame on their very first lap at Whistler Bikepark. Yup, I still bought one. Vanderham, Simmons, Melamed, and Gauvin are regularly pounding on the Slayer at ridiculous speeds. Carson Storch even slapped on a DH fork and hit his Rampage lines. I think I will be okay.
    Climbing:
    My first ride started out with about 400í of single-track climbing. The pedal up was drama free, as I had no trouble with the switchbacks, or punchy little technical sections. Despite a 64.5-degree HTA, the steering is pretty stable at low speeds, and due to the relatively steep seat tube, itís easy to put down power and punch over logs and rock ledges. I tried the shock in both positions but have decided that I could just leave it open on all but the smoothest fire roads. When compared to my trail bike (í18 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70), the Slayer does take a little more effort on long steep sections, but my Altitude is just under 30lbs Ė a lightweight. Overall, I am impressed with how the Slayer climbs. I was able to clear a tough steep ledgy section that I have never been able to do before, so we are off to a good start. While the climbing is not as efficient as my Altitude, it is easier to keep the front end down on the really steep stuff. In my mind, climbing between these two bikes is a wash. The Altitude is more efficient, but the Slayer has better forward geometry, making it less wheelie-happy. Stay tuned for what I have to say about the descentsÖnot so much of a wash there. Anyway, if you are looking for a long travel 29er that is an amazing climber, you are looking for an eBike. 
    Descending:
    I donít think this will surprise anybody, but this bike is fast and likes it rowdy. On my very first descent I became just a little frustrated with the three-man train I was in. It just seemed like the guys were moving halfheartedly and not carrying the speed they usually would. I later found out that this was not the case at all. We were flying! I am sure I would of PRíd if it wasnít for someone else breaking a derailleur hanger near the bottom necessitating a stop. I think part of the reason it didnít feel fast is that I usually hit this trail on my Altitude, which is 160mm/150mm 27.5, and now with the 170mm/170mm 29er Slayer, the rough stuff isnít so rough. Because of its seemingly bottomless travel, the Slayer has very little time for finicky line choice. Whatís that? A rock garden ahead? Just draw a straight line between anything thatís shorter than the BB height and smash it. The Slayer has this way of making you feel invincible in the same way a DH bike does. We ripped over this rock garden at close to 30 mph, and it was like the Slayer was rolling its eyes and daring me to go faster, whereas on the Altitude it was more of an eventÖand more pucker-factor. Also, the bike is quiet! Cable-rattle and chain-slap are muted and went unnoticed. I was able to hear the subtle sounds of the tires doing their thing. Pretty cool! Fast forward to the next descent. This one, a bit more flowy and tight. The Slayer is most certainly too much bike for this mellower terrain, right? Wrong. It was a blast! This descent has some small drops- less than a couple feet, a ton of smaller gaps and transfers, some rock rolls, and a couple of small rock wall-rides. The Slayer was every bit as lively as my Altitude in this environment. What once was a beast of speed is now a playful puppy. I weigh in at around 185lbs all geared up, so I fall squarely between a 450lb coil and a 500lb coil. I am currently on the 500 with the minimum preload, but I will try out a 450 after a few more rides. I have a feeling the 500 will be my jam. With the 500, I am at about 25% sag and I have very little low speed compression dialed up. This setup may not be as plush on the small bumps as some would want or expect with a coil, but jumping is hilarious at times, as the bike just feels alive. I hit a couple of jumps that are getting close to DJ style lips, and the Slayer remained stable and predictable. I was immediately comfortable jumping on it.
    What else can I say about this build? After several years riding and being very satisfied with SRAM X01, I never thought to check out the newer Shimano lineup. Now, I might have to convert my Altitude to Shimano. Both the Shimano XT drivetrain and brakes are sublime. Most notable, the shifting. Itís amazing. Itís fast and precise. And letís go ahead and shift at the last minute under heavy load. It makes no difference. Also, dumping gears as you go over a crest is twice as fast with the double-click action. Shimano is the shizzit! The Slayer also comes with a OneUp 180mm dropper, which I may swap out for a 210mm, as I have the room for it. I have been using a OneUp dropper for about a year and a half, and Iíve been pretty happy with it. Iíve been running OneUp Aluminum flats for pedals lately, but I regularly switch over to my XTR trail SPDs. I have been trying to decide whether I like clipless or flats for almost 3 years now, so I will just keep switching back and forth until I can decide.  The WTB/Slayer saddle is like sitting on a couch, compared to the lightweight SDG Ti saddle I have on my other bike. I think Iíll leave that for now.
    One nit-picky thing I would add is that the lower (rear) shock mount has press-fit bearing cups that donít allow for easy access to the coil. I could be wrong about this, but from what I can see, the coil cannot be removed unless you use a blind bearing puller to remove the sealed cartridges and cups, as they wonít slip through the inner diameter of the spring. This will not matter for most people, but Iím a tinkerer. I may like one spring for the bike parks, and the other for a plusher ride elsewhere. It would be nice to be able to switch them out easily. Also, the RaceFace AR 30 wheelset is just meh, okay. I do like the offset rear, as it makes sense that this will increase rigidity and strength. Weíll see how they hold up. I might upgrade after a season of riding. Hmmm, what else? I love that the bike ships with Maxxis DDs, but I would prefer to run a DHR or Dissector in the rear instead of the Aggressor. Yes, the Aggressor rolls a little better than the DHR, but from my experience, the braking performance is is better on the DHR. I ride a lot of steep stuff, so this stands out to me. I still need to play around with pressures, so I may go lower and throw in CushCore as an alternative to the Huck Norris Iíve been running out back.
    The bottom line for the Slayer? Do you pedal up, but prioritize descending? Do you regularly run out of travel on your endure sled? Do you want to smash the parks, but donít want a full DH rig? I found your bike.
    Well, I guess thatís about it for now. Sorry I wrote a novel. I guess I just like bikes, eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Slayer 2020-meandmyslayer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    quite the write up! we're still experiencing cold and wet conditions, very slippery roots and rock. our riding is mid speed with lots of slow speed jank, off camber roots and rocks with some sections of groomed fast trails.

did a 4 hour grinder today with some of the roughest slickest descents and this bike is unreal. the coil shock and stability of the bike eggs you on to push it. it's amazingly fun and the handling is fantastic.

for those thinking of 2 springs, i'm tellin ya, get a Sprindex. the ability to adjust spring rate on the fly is a game changer.

put the new RS air spring seal head and foot nut as well and the fork definitely rides higher in a good way.

the bike is incredible. the stability is just right. when it gets truly rowdy the bike has got your back, it manhandles the trail and you manhandle the bike. half the ride today was slow, technical janky climbing through hard natural trails with low traction and it's an amazing trail bike. yes, it is.

i hadn't even demo'd this bike, what a crazy gamble. best educated guess i've ever made, this bike is outstanding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    each ride the bike the bike gets better. i've discovered the secret to a number of difficult technical climbs in my area. this bike. with a MM SG out back, just put down the power and no matter how chundery and shitty the trail, this bike will tractor up it. i've never ran a coil before and it's incredible.

tempted by some of the rowdiest trails in our network, that the trail authority would really like us to avoid at present. normally i'm left beat up at the end of these, exhilarated but worked over. not on this bike. this is the Slayer's happy place. and i still haven't moved it from neutral.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any of you play around with the Ride 4 settings yet? the bike comes in neutral and i've had about 5 rides there. i tried 1 ride in setting 2 (second slackest), and 1 in the steepest. didn't love setting 2. was riding with a very fast young friend and it felt marginally different and not quite as easy climbing. felt very very low. i've liked the steepest setting and will ride it some more like this, but for our harder steeper trails, i think i'll be back to neutral before i go slacker again. i love that there is an option to tweak. i know a guy with a 2018 Slayer and he's never ever switched the positions! seems odd to me.

I'm usually hungry.
    My initial few rides were in 3, but I have switched to 2. This will sound a little cliche, but I really feel like I'm a little more down in the bike rather than on top of it when in 2. I feel like it really makes a difference on steeper and/or higher speed trails. The beautiful thing about the ride4 and ride9 is that you can set it to suit your own riding style, and it can be switched up in just a few minutes. If I were to use the Slayer as more of a trail bike rather than a freeride/park bike, I would be keeping it in 3 or trying 4. I also have an Altitude with ride9, and I have put that back to 5 (neutral) since I will be using that bike for tighter trails with more climbing. I love the options!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Any feedback on spring rate you guys are running?
    I'm around 205-210 lbs geared and I tried a 500# spring. It puts me at a 32% sag and it felt WAY too soft. Ordering a 550#. Hopefully, I will have it this weekend. I still think they should offer a Fox X2 option for this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    After the past few years on a Canfield Riot, I'm stoked to be getting an XL Slayer A50. Made my deposit on Sunday and should be in the shop in the next week or so. It's definitely going to be a different feeling bike, with more travel, more reach, a slacker HT and a much longer CS than the Riot. My dirt jumper might have a longer CS than my Riot. Ha ha.

Initially I was going to go with an A30, but there were just too many upgrades in the A50 spec to overlook.

I'm going to be running a 650# spring, but might need to move to an air shock at some point, depending on whether I can continue dropping weight or not.

Regardless, I absolutely can't wait and am less mad about our late spring, and the delays in parks and trails opening up than I was a month ago. Ha ha.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi quas,

Do you think its possible that we got a Powerplay ?

Many of pics are available, but nothing official...

Did somebody knows??

mtbr member
    May 2020
    HI BIKeR-M

You re right nothing official,
    but there's another Thread where some guys think about it, or should I write dream?

But with the new BC Edition and of course the new Growler it may become true.

There's the Link to an older thread about it.
    https://www.emtbforums.com/community...-rumours.8152/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anyone tempted to put a Zeb or 38 at 180 on this bike? it won't happen for me anytime soon, but i'll be riding this bike for a while and i'll consider it in the future. i can see this as a logical thing for some riders on this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    anyone tempted to put a Zeb or 38 at 180 on this bike? it won't happen for me anytime soon, but i'll be riding this bike for a while and i'll consider it in the future. i can see this as a logical thing for some riders on this bike.
    I'm thinking the next upgrade will be brakes, but then am tossing around the idea of either going with a Zeb or a Mezzer, possibly in a 180. It's a ways away though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    https://nsmb.com/articles/2020-rocky...in-slayer-c70/

but how does it climb Tim?

(BTW, this guy won the masters category DH at Mt Saint Anne last year. he's a beast)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the review guys! Hows this thing working out all summer for you? I am looking to unload my V10/Spesh Enduro and pick one of these up to make the most of both bikes. I really like that people tossed a dual crown on there too for big days.

Also, I am really stuck between a medium and large being 5ft 9" Anyone about the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dhjunkie View Post
    Thanks for all the review guys! Hows this thing working out all summer for you? I am looking to unload my V10/Spesh Enduro and pick one of these up to make the most of both bikes. I really like that people tossed a dual crown on there too for big days.

Also, I am really stuck between a medium and large being 5ft 9" Anyone about the same?
    Amazing here on my end. 2020 C50 with We Are One Convert/Union/I9Hydra wheels, Da Package Bar/stem, and now a ZEB.

The Zeb woke this thing up huge. Far more control and support charging into the gnar. Tons around here (Sun Peaks, BC) with the dual crown but I have no desire now that I have tried the ZEB Kool-aid.

Pretty much position 2 at the Bike Park, 4 for mellow trail riding.

I'm 6'0 and on a Large, sorry I can't me more help with sizing... If you like your bike BIG maaaaybe LG, but I would put you squarely in Medium category. For me it feels like I am squarely in the middle of the Large size, it is perfect.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by survivalofthefattest View Post
    Amazing here on my end. 2020 C50 with We Are One Convert/Union/I9Hydra wheels, Da Package Bar/stem, and now a ZEB.

The Zeb woke this thing up huge. Far more control and support charging into the gnar. Tons around here (Sun Peaks, BC) with the dual crown but I have no desire now that I have tried the ZEB Kool-aid.

Pretty much position 2 at the Bike Park, 4 for mellow trail riding.

I'm 6'0 and on a Large, sorry I can't me more help with sizing... If you like your bike BIG maaaaybe LG, but I would put you squarely in Medium category. For me it feels like I am squarely in the middle of the Large size, it is perfect.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!
    Great to know. I was reading through the user manual and I am really nervous about the press fit BB... have you honestly had any creaking etc?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How does it feel to ride Sun Peaks on the slayer knowing that whoever looks at you riding it thinks you have the wal-mart grade shitty rental bike instead of the magnificent baller bike that you actually have?

hahahaha