Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Rocky Mountain Slayer!

So,, this beast is pretty much a single crown DH bike?

Rocky Mountain's 2017 Slayer - First Ride - Pinkbike

https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-re...ayer-2017.html

Awesomeness....

mtbr member
    May 2015

mtbr member
    Dang, that is stupid slack and long. Curious to see how it pedals, because on paper, it definitely looks like a FR machine!

mtbr member
    Frame weight anyone?

Live Free & Ride
    Wow, how the Slayer has evolved from 15 years ago! Just by looking at the $3200 all carbon frame, my guess is a sub 6.5 lb frame....which is just crazy considering that it IS a mini DH bike! Stunning bike all around!

The Rocky Mountain Slayer Returns | Singletracks Mountain Bike News
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm glad to see the slayer back! I loved my first gen slayer and the 2012 gen (3rd? I think). Went to a Kona and love it, but this puts RM back on my radar for my next bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    When's the Slayer coming to LBS?
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds like November up in Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thank goodness.
    I'm riding a 2013 Slayer now, and love it... was wondering what I would do in a few years with no Slayers being born.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Still riding my 2008 slayer sxc70 ! The head angle is too steep and the bike is too short for my taste. The position and the rear suspension are not ideal for climbing. But it's still a great bike.

This new one could make me upgrade my bike to full carbon

mtbr member
    Got my frame on order for arrival sometime in Nov.
    Gonna start with a 180mm fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    Got my frame on order for arrival sometime in Nov.
    Gonna start with a 180mm fork
    what color did you go with

mtbr member
    Both are nice, I went with blue

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i'd love to hear some reviews on this thing when they start popping up

mtbr member
    Although i pulled the trigger on a Sb6, i'll be demo'ing the Slayer this Sunday and will do a ride report.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Just got back from outter bike . The slayer is the winner . But shhh don't tell nobody

mtbr member
    Having ridden the Maiden, the crossover is obvious--this is a DH bike masked as something you can pedal. Make no mistake, you definitely know your pedaling uphill on this machine, but the moment you point it back down, that's quickly forgotten. It's straight up a monster on the downs. Aside from the plow factor, still retained a good playfulness when things got tight and I managed to clear all the switchbacks without much effort.

If you're looking for a sledgehammer, yeah, this is the ticket.

Oh at 6', the large was perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Having ridden the Maiden, the crossover is obvious--this is a DH bike masked as something you can pedal. Make no mistake, you definitely know your pedaling uphill on this machine, but the moment you point it back down, that's quickly forgotten. It's straight up a monster on the downs. Aside from the plow factor, still retained a good playfulness when things got tight and I managed to clear all the switchbacks without much effort.

If you're looking for a sledgehammer, yeah, this is the ticket.

Oh at 6', the large was perfect.
    it pedals up hill slow because of it's angles or the suspension is really open?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I thought it climbed technical terrain amazingly . So much traction . Just keep spinning . It seemed to climb technical terrain better than the sb6

Cactus Cuddler
    I got a chance to ride on a Slayer this last saturday.

My description of the bike is that it is so good, you'll get yourself into trouble by arriving into turns and chunky sections faster than you considered possible, and suspension that is so well sorted you can push really hard before running out of talent. Definitely a bike that lets you ride at a really high level, and usable as sledgehammer. I didn't get to ride it on a trail wholly deserving of that capability, but it was extremely happy with my 235lb of stupid stringing together the worst possible line choice over everywhere I took it.

It happened to be the full bling Fox36/FloatX2/SixC demo unit, and considering how long the demo bikes have been in the wild the dings in the finish everywhere can only be explained by journalists and consumer demo riders finding themselves pushing their own limits and discovering where those are. I certainly did, and collected some cacti impacts as a result.
    As it turns out, 800mm bars and impressive cornering grip is a combination for collecting cactus spines from the inside of turns, and carrying ludicrous speed and laying down two-wheel drifts in loose sections means collecting cactus contact from the outside of turns.

Climbing capability is quite good - not sure how much of that is the high end build across the board (got to be a bit), but I know that I'd take the climbing behavior of the Slayer with 2.5 DHF Minions over a carbon Pipeline on 2.8 Rekons, and the Pipeline wasn't a slouch. The size Large didn't really fit me, the 35mm stem didn't help a ton. Still an absolute blast, and if I spent much time at the bike park or running rough enduro stages where I could send it, then I'd get one.
    Really makes me curious what Rocky could do if they made a Slayer-type 29er, because that would be my jam.

TL;DR: Try one if you can.
    I thought it was amazing, even though I didn't have the right trail or really a use for that bike, it was awesome to see what it can do. I was finding doubles on stuff I wasn't aware was possible to link up, and turning what would be rolled step-downs into boosted drops to flat.

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulone View Post
    It seemed to climb technical terrain better than the sb6
    I think that actually says a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I think that actually says a lot.
    Which is interesting because I actually was able to ride the same trail the same day on the SB6 and on the Slayer. SB6 I was 2 gears harder going up the climbs since it pedals that much more efficient, yet the Slayer didn't feel 'slow' per se.

The Slayer, to me, pedals pretty darn good considering it's intentions, but the super slack HTA and stack height was a bit hard on the super steep and loose climbs. Traction was there, but if I stood up, wallowed deep into the travel and would pedal strike. I don't get that on the SB6.

Otherwise, very comparable with an edge to the Yeti on the up, edge to the Slayer on the down and you can't go wrong either way. What a day and age we live in at the moment!

EDIT: one way to think about it is the Slayer does great as a sit and grind while the SB6 allows me to be more active.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Which is interesting because I actually was able to ride the same trail the same day on the SB6 and on the Slayer. SB6 I was 2 gears harder going up the climbs since it pedals that much more efficient, yet the Slayer didn't feel 'slow' per se.

The Slayer, to me, pedals pretty darn good considering it's intentions, but the super slack HTA and stack height was a bit hard on the super steep and loose climbs. Traction was there, but if I stood up, wallowed deep into the travel and would pedal strike. I don't get that on the SB6.

Otherwise, very comparable with an edge to the Yeti on the up, edge to the Slayer on the down and you can't go wrong either way. What a day and age we live in at the moment!

EDIT: one way to think about it is the Slayer does great as a sit and grind while the SB6 allows me to be more active.
    you need to try the new firebird

mtbr member
    Yeah, just haven't been a big fan of Pivot over the years (reach was always short, cable routing was awful), but the new stuff looks interesting. Oh well, already committed to the SB6 after trying the lot, would've considered the Slayer, but alas, it is what it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, just haven't been a big fan of Pivot over the years (reach was always short, cable routing was awful), but the new stuff looks interesting. Oh well, already committed to the SB6 after trying the lot, would've considered the Slayer, but alas, it is what it is.
    the reach on the bird is massive. just wait until you get to route the dropper cable on the sb6 haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Did you guys have a chance to weigh the slayer?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your comparo is great, the slayer and sb6 are also at the top of my list to change my 2007 Nomad. Do you remember if the slayer was in the slackest position when you tried it? Were you able to climb a bit of steep stuff and if so how is weel flop compared to the sb6? Many thanks

mtbr member
    I rode the Slayer in the neutral position and had the rear shock set to about 30% sag and the front around 20%.

I had two steep climbs that involve tight turns, some baby head style rocks, and a few ledges. Cleared it all just like I would on the SB6. The Slayer is no slouch, no doubt about it. Instead of standing to punch up one of the tighter turns with a rock that requires some finesse, I ended up just putting it into spin gear, stayed seated, and just powered through fine. Like I was saying, gearing ended up being lower than the Sb6, but i didn't feel 'slower' if that makes sense. Wheel flop felt the same as any other 65* bike with a 40mm stem

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    From all the reviews about the new Slayer one conclusion stood up for me from bikeradar.com (testing the 950 version) :
    "The Slayer sits at interesting crossroads of enduro crushing and do-it-all capability. While it's super impressive in its ability to annihilate nasty runs, which is perfect for its enduro race billing, I was left wondering if it was too much, possibly losing a bit of the pop and playfulness that makes mid-travel bikes so fun."

it also relates to a bike like the new Firebird and some other bikes available today - are these bikes too much "race" oriented ? too much travel,too long,too slack,heavy without a super high end build...
    it kinda seems that bikes like the sb6c,patrol,process 153,rfx,insurgent... can rip on the descends in a similar way but with a bit less travel and more "fun" geo.

are the new "super enduro" bikes just too much for most riders that consider them ?

Cactus Cuddler
    km - totally concur on it being a more seated pedaling bike. Horst-type bikes are almost always this way for me, but it climbed neatly and once it got bumpy uphill, just keeping the pedals in motion dragged my tubby and exhausted self up [was also stupidly chasing a much fitter rider on an Element]. I've never minded that, and particularly for a bike that is biased towards shredded the dog poop out of the way down, I'd be totally happy with that tradeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by gbcoke View Post
    are the new "super enduro" bikes just too much for most riders that consider them ?
    Considering how invested the entire mountain bike journalism camp is invested in being able to differentiate between a 'gravity race' bike and an 'all-day trail bike', and that the most valuable skillset required for writing in such publications is to a) write well, b) not injure yourself, I think there is a fair bit of much ado about nothing. Even the most race-overkill Enduro bike right now still climbs more efficiently than most trail bikes from 4 years ago, and plenty of riders will happily make that compromise to have more fun coming back down.

A really capable 6" travel bike that is setup for maximum traction on rough descents will make flow trails and flat sections a snooze. Still possible to play with the suspension and get a fair bit of that poppy feeling back. Longer bikes require more effort to chuck around, but it's still absolutely possible to do so, I'm constantly having to remind myself that my bike in its current configuration would be lambasted in a bike test for being too slack and uninspiring on easy terrain (which it is), but it's exactly what I need to keep myself rubber down after getting overzealous on rougher descents.

If anything, I'd re-encapsulate what they're getting at from the perspective of what bike is the best for most people to buy. A LOT of mountain bike buyers will go and buy too much bike, and consider it as an aspirational thing that the bike can have way more extra capability, whether or not they use it. Fast forward a while, and they've discovered that the longer travel bike makes the less interesting trails that they spend most of their time on not as enjoyable as something with less travel.
    What they're trying to do, which is awesome, is steer buyers towards getting a bike which is just barely capable of what they're trying to do with it, because that'll be the most riotously fun bike possible, but still have just enough to handle the toughest thing possible. Since riders aren't always honest with themselves about it (guilty as charged here), instead the phrasing is more along the lines of 'too much of a race bike' being what they feel will steer people away from bikes that are so planted and stable that many riders will write them off as less exciting bikes.

In the full-bling build, that bike is plenty playful. Admittedly, I took the time to dink with the LSC/HSC settings on the X2 to make it a touch more lively at the demo, but the Slayer is plenty playful if you're willing to treat it like the type of bike that designers have installed a hockey mask decal on. Takes larger inputs, but once I came to terms with how much body english and hip giration was asked for, that thing was just dangerously awesome.

If your concern is that it is too much bike, then get an Altitude, put an X2/Fox36 on it, and then rock on. Guys like Jesse Melamed and Florian Nicolai have already shown how insanely good that configuration is.

ups and downs
    The Slayer seems to be heavily targeted at the Enduro race market as it has quickly become their factory Enduro Team bike after the EWS race in Whistler. That also makes it well suited to bike parks (as opposed to true WC DH races that the Maiden is built for), so it is likely a big market segment to target, but also likely not a direct replacement for the Altitude which has been very popular in the AM market.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    When I rode the Altitude I thought to myself "climbs excellent, pops off of the smallest of obstacles, and surgical on descents". It was hugely playful and more than enough for 98% of the local trails. The Slayer...well, it wants to go downhill badly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So you guys are saying, one can justify to have an altitude (not the Rally) AND a Slayer and each bike has its specific 'field of application'?

mtbr member
    Not really, but there's enough of a difference that's notable. If you have steep, crazy descents with drops and jumps, Slayer all the way, if it's more traditional singletrack, I'd personally want the playfulness of the alititude.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    What is wrong with me?! I just want to read Rocky Mountain Slayer reviews!!!!

Somebody talk to me!! anyone else got a demo ride in???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What is wrong with me?! I just want to read Rocky Mountain Slayer reviews!!!!

Somebody talk to me!! anyone else got a demo ride in???
    Haha, same here. My local store is supposed to receive one early November but will not let customers try it so I'll only be able to sit on it and look at it! snif snif He tried to get me a demo from Rocky but couldn't! snif snif

So all we can do for now is wait for nice riders here to give us some info and eventually may be some real reviews (not the typical first ride marketing BS) will come out in magazines...

The wait is painful! ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I actually road one at outterbike right after two days of riding all the yeti's.... the Slayer ( and the Thunderbolt BC) out shined all the yetis for me... ( I did enjoy the yetis and was about to buy an sb6 after demoing them all)...

then I visited rocky mountain booth. I think a lot of it had to do with suspension set up. But they both ( slayer and Thunder BC) just felt like the perfect balance of pedaling, climbing, very stable with perfect geometry, while remaining very nimble and playful. All this combined with having a very refined and dialed feel. Similar to what I feel on high end specialized bikes, or high end skis. They felt perfect.

I am about to pre order a slayer... but alas its been a month since demo and now i'm having,.... "Are you sure thats the right bike" thoughts... when I all ready know it is. As soon as I get the bike those thoughts will disappear. ( hopefully lol)

I all ready have a carbon epic for full on xc duties... I live near moab, in the high rockies... so I want to go full bang for the big bike slayer to have Captain Ahab/ Enchilada stuff fully covered...

but now im starting to have thoughts of.... that thunderbolt BC sure would be amazing for a TON of the riding I do....

First world problems...

I was hoping to keep my quiver to:
    XC Race - Epic
    All Mountain - Slayer

But who knows by next summer I may have to get the middle of the road bike too just to leave no unanswered questions. ( Thunderbolt BC)

I really do believe once my quiver is complete... I can just be happy with the 2-3 bikes for the next 5+ years. Wishful thinking I know. I really don't want to be the guy that is always obsessing over the next new thing. More so I'm a guy who always wants the best tool for the job, as I know how much MORE FUN it is to be on the perfect bike for the right trail ...

First world problems..

I wish I had more time on the slayer. Specifically more variety of climbing. The sb6 absolutely railed up fire road type climbs... i was passing people left and right on xc bikes - climbing up the portal road out of the mag 7 shuttle.

the slayer felt awesome climbing technical chunk... but i only took 1 ride on it... so more variety would be helpful to understand its climbing prowess... the limited tech climbing i did felt impeccable.

Someone talk dirty to me about slayers....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wish I had more time on the slayer. Specifically more variety of climbing. The sb6 absolutely railed up fire road type climbs... i was passing people left and right on xc bikes - climbing up the portal road out of the mag 7 shuttle.

the slayer felt awesome climbing technical chunk... but i only took 1 ride on it... so more variety would be helpful to understand its climbing prowess... the limited tech climbing i did felt impeccable.
    This is music to my ears because I couldn't care less about fireroad climbs, flip of a switch on the shock and that is taken car of.

However, my concern is technical climbs, suspension impact on traction for steep technical stuff, deep suspension squatting when it's steep, front wheel flop on steep sections...

I've used a VPP suspension for almost 10 years now so I have quite a bit of apprehension going back to horst link since it was quite a positive revelation when I switched from horst to VPP! ;-)

I guess time will tell because other then the horst link concern, to me this Slayer has it all, geometry is perfect, parts spec vs price is perfect, and looks is great...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    whats your current bike Banzai?? or quiver

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    whats your current bike Banzai?? or quiver
    I've got a 2007 Nomad, geometry is more like today's trail bikes and it was an Enduro back then!

mtbr member
    May 2016

New Media Reviews!!!

Outerbike Test Sessions: Rocky Mountain Slayer - Mtbr.com

Hoooray for new media reviews!!!!!! Very high scores!!!

For the record, looks like the road the top of the line 790 with the fox suspension and had a nosiy bike...

at the same test I was on the 770 with the rock shox bike, and had a dead silent bike. with heavenly suppleness akin to a magic carpet ride...

the rockshox stuff all felt way more supple off the top then the fox stuff...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Outerbike Test Sessions: Rocky Mountain Slayer - Mtbr.com

Hoooray for new media reviews!!!!!! Very high scores!!!
    For the record, looks like the road the top of the line 790 with the fox suspension and had a nosiy bike...

at the same test I was on the 770 with the rock shox bike, and had a dead silent bike. with heavenly suppleness akin to a magic carpet ride...

the rockshox stuff all felt way more supple off the top then the fox stuff...
    sounds like it was the derailer anyway no big deal

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Im Just going to leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfvDG3B79s

WARNING: this might be the single greatest video of all time , if the evaluation criteria is based on how stoked it gets you to ride the new SLLLLLLAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAGGGGGERRRHHHERRRR!!!!! !

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm hearing no slayers until next year

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I was told November for some models of slayer , march for others ....

ups and downs
    Of course next year is only 60 days away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Of course next year is only 60 days away.
    ya i'm told none of them will be available now until january. especially frame only

ups and downs
    Usually the early production goes to the southern hemisphere markets first since it is prime bike buying season in Australia and South Africa now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm hearing end of November now at our local shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Delay possibly due to the X2 recall?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    has anyone seen the red in person?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hey,

Hoping someone can help me with some advice.

I am looking at ordering a Slayer but dont know what to do about the rest of the bikes.

Just sold a Banshee Rune so I'm left with a Maiden and a slack hardtail.

Should I sell the DH bike as well and replace the Rune and Maiden with a Slayer and a short travel trail bike. Or just stick with a Slayer and a hardtail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    slayer and short travel trail bike

Cactus Cuddler
    To be completely honest, a Slayer and a Thunderbolt, or a Slayer and a slack AM hardtail will handle nearly everything one could want out of a pair of off-road bicycles. Neither is an XC-race bike or a pure DH bike, but for everything in between, that style of two-bike quiver works in my mind. Bonus points - can share wheels, and the hardtail is an ideal wintertime bike.

I think the Slayer would be up to the task as a park/FR bike if you have the suspension well sorted, but that really depends how much time you're spending on the Maiden, and if you'd still want a pure DH double-crown bike in addition to an all-mountain through park bike.

mtbr member
    For 2017 it looks like my quiver is going to be a new Slayer and a dirt jump hardtail, I'll be putting the Slayer through dh racing and a week in whistler so I'll get to see how it holds up to that abuse. I'd also really like to try having a three bike quiver someday, would be a dirt jump hard tail, a maiden, and and instinct or altitude, but I feel like with that combo I wouldn't ride the maiden enough as I'd like, only would get on it at races or park days, so I feel like having a Slayer and being really familiar with it could be just as fast as a maiden, plus the slayer looks like a super fun bike, and should fit me a lot better at 6'2" and still growing (I've ridden some large maidens and they felt so tiny, and the XL isn't a whole lot bigger)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just got the official word from my local bike shop. New slayers not arriving until January. Super bummed. Sounds like the delay is on Rocky's manufacturing end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Just got the official word from my local bike shop. New slayers not arriving until January. Super bummed. Sounds like the delay is on Rocky's manufacturing end.
    told ya guys

ups and downs
    I see that the new Elements and Element BC edition are arriving at the LBS here in Vancouver, so they likely had the first slot in frame production over the Slayer frames, I would bet that the big mountain freeride market has a northern hemisphere riding season bias and the XC bike market has a spring time priority for the southern hemisphere. That is the downside of carbon frames, the maximum rate of production will be determined by the number of moulds you have and the backup through the layup and oven part of the production line, so they have to pick a production sequence.

Usually the brand new XC bikes aren't available in Canada until April unless there is some spill over from the production for the southern hemisphere, and then once in a while they are available just about now..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Pulled the trigger and ordered a 770 in red. Let the wait begin.
    March can't come soon enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cortolillo87 View Post
    Pulled the trigger and ordered a 770 in red. Let the wait begin.
    March can't come soon enough.
    March? That kinda sucks that they are that delayed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    March? Damn.. They've been telling us in aus to expect them early Jan

ups and downs
    March to April is usually when the new bikes arrive in North America, Australia and South Africa usually get earlier production runs as the riding season is still happening while the snows melt here

mtbr member
    I work at a shop that deals Rocky and I've been trying to get ahold of our Rocky dealer for a week or so now to ask him about when they are coming in (and about ordering one myself). Hopefully I can talk with him soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Are we there yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cortolillo87 View Post
    Should I sell the DH bike as well and replace the Rune and Maiden with a Slayer and a short travel trail bike. Or just stick with a Slayer and a hardtail?
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    To be completely honest, a Slayer and a Thunderbolt, or a Slayer and a slack AM hardtail will handle nearly everything one could want out of a pair of off-road bicycles. Neither is an XC-race bike or a pure DH bike, but for everything in between, that style of two-bike quiver works in my mind. Bonus points - can share wheels, and the hardtail is an ideal wintertime bike.

I think the Slayer would be up to the task as a park/FR bike if you have the suspension well sorted, but that really depends how much time you're spending on the Maiden, and if you'd still want a pure DH double-crown bike in addition to an all-mountain through park bike.
    Agree completely with Tehllama. Final decision seems to be based on where and what you like to ride the most, and the ride experience you want. It's always a trade off and different folks prioritize different aspects.

- I have a hardtail that hangs in the garage without wheels. I rode it a ton last year but won't use it much in the future - still it's nice to have on hand and the wheels of other bikes fit so it only takes 5 minutes to get it running.

- I use a SC Hightower for most stuff I need/want to pedal to. Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of folks tend to over bike thinking that they have room to grow into the capabilities of the machine. I tried that with a Nomad; turns out I didn't like riding it anywhere I really needed to do a lot of pedaling. This travel category is way more capable and fun (for me) than an XC type rig, but still pedals far better than a 150+ bike. Even in Moab I enjoyed the Hightower better than the Nomad. I did the 5-day CB Ultra Enduro on a 140/150 Norco Sight. Now if I was aiming for a podium I would have wanted more bike but I'm a 40yo hack, not a pro.

- I'm looking at the Slayer to fill my Park riding needs. I'm not racing DH so a dedicated dual crown just seems a bit limited. Also when I've tried it, I found I preferred something like the Nomad/Slayer to the actual DH bike on most of the lift areas I've ridden. These bikes give you damn close to a true DH bike's capability but open up much more terrain since they pedal pretty well. There are pedal trails I ride where I wouldn't mind more travel - specifically one that has about a dozen drops. You can roll them all, or you can huck them. A gentle huck is mellow, an aggressive huck is 5' to flat. Slayer would own this.

...also I used to love the band in the early '90s so there's that

$0.02 YMMV
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Slayer In the house!

Our lbs received their first Slayer today and it happened to be the one we pre-ordered last fall. Great looking bike. Can't wait for the Snow to melt. Hope the rest of the bikes will show up soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Anyone plan to build this up with a 180mm fork? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    170 Lyric seems like the right amount of travel, but haven't spent much time on it yet. No plans to change out the fork.

mtbr member
    Rocky Mountain Slayer!-slayer.jpg

Bike is amazing, and it looks way better in person.
    Obviously it "Slayz" the descents but I will also have no issues climbing over 1000m on a ride as its very efficient for a big travel bike. Well done Rocky!!!

mtbr member
    Bike is amazing, and it looks way better in person.
    Obviously it "Slayz" the descents but I will also have no issues climbing over 1000m on a ride as its very efficient for a big travel bike. Well done Rocky!!!
    Nice! If you don't mind a couple questions:
    - How does this compare to the Hightower I think you have? i.e. I'm assuming it feels much bigger/more capable on the DH
    - Any thoughts on this vs a Dual crown such as the Maiden? (I've got a Hightower now, and I'm moving near a lift area again so looking for something like this or a full DH to ride park)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Nice! If you don't mind a couple questions:
    - How does this compare to the Hightower I think you have? i.e. I'm assuming it feels much bigger/more capable on the DH
    - Any thoughts on this vs a Dual crown such as the Maiden? (I've got a Hightower now, and I'm moving near a lift area again so looking for something like this or a full DH to ride park)
    We have a Maiden and a new Slayer in the fleet. Both are amazing bikes. The Maiden is so plush on the DH trails and the Slayer kills it both up and down. If you are primarily riding lift-assist or shuttle trails then the Maiden would be a good choice. If you are looking for a bike that can pedal up a hill then the Slayer is the only choice IMHO.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ that about sums it up and regarding a Hightower/ Slayer comparison you really cant compare the 2, totally different travel between the 2...although I will say that the Slayer climbs pretty much just as well as the HighT on the N Shore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ^^^^ that about sums it up and regarding a Hightower/ Slayer comparison you really cant compare the 2, totally different travel between the 2...although I will say that the Slayer climbs pretty much just as well as the HighT on the N Shore.
    If the Slayer climbs so well do you think you'll keep only the Slayer or is the HT still relevant for some of your needs? Do you use your HT as a 27.5+ or 29?

I was thinking about changing my old Nomad (2007) for a Slayer but the geometry of my Nomad is much closer to what the HighT offers. On the other hand, the Slayer is much closer to my Nomad in terms of travel. I haven't tried any of those newer long low slack bikes yet.

mtbr member
    I always have 2 bikes, My Hightower is for sale on Pink Bike (if anyone is interested) , my other bike is now a Yeti SB6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider View Post
    If the Slayer climbs so well do you think you'll keep only the Slayer or is the HT still relevant for some of your needs? Do you use your HT as a 27.5+ or 29?

I was thinking about changing my old Nomad (2007) for a Slayer but the geometry of my Nomad is much closer to what the HighT offers. On the other hand, the Slayer is much closer to my Nomad in terms of travel. I haven't tried any of those newer long low slack bikes yet.
    HT is 27+ with Minions. I love it on the trails and I'm keeping it, but for bigger bike park jumps I'd rather "normal" tires and more travel. I think the HT is relevant to 95% of everything I'd pedal to. It's limit seems to be very large jumps and drops. After all it does only have 135mm rear with a monarch shock.

I can't speak to the old Nomad, but I did have a v3 for a while. It felt like a light mini-DH bike to me: great at the parks and on steeps but too much on anything that required much pedaling. (YMMV some folks were fine riding the Nomad all day on long rides.) Though the Nomad was so much lighter and so capable I tended to prefer it over the actual DH bike at bike parks in CO. I've yet to ride the Slayer but I expect it to feel similar to the Nomad. Since I can have two rides, its a question of HT and Slayer or HT and a dual crown DH bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I always have 2 bikes, My Hightower is for sale on Pink Bike (if anyone is interested) , my other bike is now a Yeti SB6
    is the sb6 your cross country bike haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    well gents frame arriving this week. building er up with eagle, 36, carbon wheels, mt7s, etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    well gents frame arriving this week. building er up with eagle, 36, carbon wheels, mt7s, etc
    Very nice, I just dumped my XT 11-46 drive train for Eagle as well and finally got y Carbon Nobl's converted to boost. Some nice improvements that should also shed about a pound. I figure I will weigh in around 29 lbs. I'll confirm weight later. The weight only matters to me as I'm going to swap the Monarch with a Push ElevenSix once there ready (I just need to convert mine) and that will add a pound of weight.
    However , to be on a slayer with a coil and weigh in @ 30lbs is gonna be unreal!!!!

mtbr member
    Very nice, I just dumped my XT 11-46 drive train for Eagle as well and finally got y Carbon Nobl's converted to boost. Some nice improvements that should also shed about a pound. I figure I will weigh in around 29 lbs. I'll confirm weight later. The weight only matters to me as I'm going to swap the Monarch with a Push ElevenSix once there ready (I just need to convert mine) and that will add a pound of weight.
    However , to be on a slayer with a coil and weigh in @ 30lbs is gonna be unreal!!!!
    Is Push doing metric sizing now? If so a Slayer with an ElevenSix sounds so sick!

mtbr member
    Yes they are doing Metric and I'm told by Rocky that they are working on an 11/6 tune right now for the Slayer. I'll report back with an @ ETA once I know more.

My changes (see above posts) did lower my overall weight to 29.1 lbs so I will be at 30.1 lbs with the 11/6. However I maybe able to get to 29.75 lb as I have a lighter WTB rocket (Ti) seat and Podium pedals on order which will lean me up a little more.

No biggie though 30-30.5 lbs is A-ok with me if your running a coil out back.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Slayer vs sb6?!?!?! For Moab , trail riding, and occassionaly bike park... i have a carbon xc bike in my quiver

any advice? WHos ridden both?

mtbr member
    Im hoping that Fox will come out with metric DHX2's soon, I would really like to run a coil on the Slayer but an ElevenSix is just way too expensive for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why not a Cane Creek DBcoil IL instead of the Elevensix, you would save some weight without compromising performance that much I assume.

mtbr member
    Slayer vs sb6?!?!?! For Moab , trail riding, and occassionaly bike park... i have a carbon xc bike in my quiver

any advice? WHos ridden both?
    See page 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Should of just bought a frame only haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider View Post
    Why not a Cane Creek DBcoil IL instead of the Elevensix, you would save some weight without compromising performance that much I assume.
    Because I already own an 11/6

mtbr member
    PB just posted another review today. Looks to be a long term one compared to the other posted earlier in this thread.
    Rocky Mountain Slayer 790 MSL - Review - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gvus2001 View Post
    I work at a shop that deals Rocky and I've been trying to get ahold of our Rocky dealer for a week or so now to ask him about when they are coming in (and about ordering one myself). Hopefully I can talk with him soon.
    Which shop do you work at?

chips & bier
    Any word (from RMB) on stock? I read somewhere that if I didn't already order one by now I'm sorta SOL.

Had planned on building a new bike in the second half of the season, maybe on time for the Enduro2 in Davos, as I'm still a bit indecisive on build. 790 and swap out minimal parts, or save the cash with a 770 and spend the difference on a DHX2 and Fast CO3 kit......?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Contact your local RMB Dealer. They will have the correct intel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    PB just posted another review today. Looks to be a long term one compared to the other posted earlier in this thread.
    Rocky Mountain Slayer 790 MSL - Review - Pinkbike
    Yes great review. Finally a reviewer who took the time to test out the "steep" geometry and report correctly on it's climbing ability in this steepest position. Based on his comments the Slayer looks to be a killer of versatility, as an all mountain bike you run it most of the time in the steep position and change the setting to slack only for lift assist days...

chips & bier
    Done

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok - Pivot Firebrid, Slayer and new Tracer - who has ridden all 3? How do they stack?

mtbr member
    Rocky Mountain Slayer!-slayer.jpgSome changes, my Tr33 Nobl rims (27mm ID) converted to boost and Sram XO Eagle.
    29.1 lbs. I think I need to ditch the chain stay protection and just add some fuzzy Velcro for sound dampening, the protector isn't doing it for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    Ok - Pivot Firebrid, Slayer and new Tracer - who has ridden all 3? How do they stack?
    Well, PB already has a review of the new tracer: 2017 Intense Tracer - Review - Pinkbike

While they don't do a direct comparison a close read should tell you a few things:
    The Tracer doesn't climb all that well - "What the Tracer doesn't do all that well is climb. Its rear suspension never settles into a spot where pedaling feels efficient without switching the Fox X2 damper into climb mode, and even then, it is not all that inspiring."

The tracer has a heavy DH bias, it favors the DH plow rider rather than the poppy playful precise rider - "...the latest Tracer would be at home in any bike park, and by the same token, it isn't much of a trail bike. Descending trails that don't trace the fall line, however technical, can be a little boring."

The Slayer seems to be rather different (primarily due to the ride-4 settings) - "What I expected was a capable but routine enduro race bike with more brawn than brains; what I got was a bike that's not just capable but also exceedingly versatile. Yes, there's a lot of suspension and geometry on tap, enough for any racer's needs, but the Slayer's effective geo adjustment and remarkably good pedaling manners make it far more than just another enduro bike."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slayer.jpg 
Views:	3494 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	1120149Some changes, my Tr33 Nobl rims (27mm ID) converted to boost and Sram XO Eagle.
    29.1 lbs. I think I need to ditch the chain stay protection and just add some fuzzy Velcro for sound dampening, the protector isn't doing it for me.
    yeah that protector looks a little out of place haha

chips & bier
    Nice build!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I took the Slayer for a proper ride recently between snow storms. I have to say I am very impressed. I had it in slack mode the whole ride and it definitely did not climb as easily as my Warden. It wasn't terrible but it took noticeably more effort to get up the hill. I expect it would climb much better in steep mode but haven't tried that yet. The bike was very confidence-inspiring on the downhills. So much fun charging steep lines and being in total control. What I was not expecting was how poppy and fun this bike is. It felt quite playful on the way down, even in slack mode . I think this could easily be a one-bike quiver.

mtbr member
    I took the Slayer for a proper ride recently between snow storms. I have to say I am very impressed. I had it in slack mode the whole ride and it definitely did not climb as easily as my Warden. It wasn't terrible but it took noticeably more effort to get up the hill. I expect it would climb much better in steep mode but haven't tried that yet. The bike was very confidence-inspiring on the downhills. So much fun charging steep lines and being in total control. What I was not expecting was how poppy and fun this bike is. It felt quite playful on the way down, even in slack mode . I think this could easily be a one-bike quiver.
    May I ask you to write few words comparison to Warden.
    2017 Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    2017 Santa Cruz Nomad 4
    2016 Santa Cruz V10

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Will be very interesting to read you on the steep mode, also your comparison to the Warden that shares a very similar geometry with the Slayer. Why did you change you Warden for the Slayer. Thanks.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast