Rocky Mountain Slayer! - Page 8- Mtbr.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    That is correct. They replaced it with the new one that is two pieces.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    But the derrailleur is in a completely different location!..

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ahh didn't notice that. I'll have s look at mine when I get home this week. I've been carrying the new spare in my bike bag with the larger Allen key as well. I'll check if mine is "different".

mtbr member
    Greetings from Australia. I just finished building a 2019 70 model.

I swapped out the wheels for a set of DT EX511 I built onto Hope Pro4 hubs, the Hope E4 brakes I had on my old bike, and my preferred bars/stem/saddle. Some Invisiframe, and Slik Graphics decals on forks and shock rounded it off.

Really happy with how it rides so far, and looking forward to sharing tuning and setup info.

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181006_164508%7E3.jpg

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181006_164756%7E2.jpg

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181006_164543%7E2.jpg

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181006_164838%7E2.jpg

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181006_165006%7E2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sexual! i want a carbon black frame!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Looks sensational tek!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    Greetings from Australia. I just finished building a 2019 70 model.

I swapped out the wheels for a set of DT EX511 I built onto Hope Pro4 hubs, the Hope E4 brakes I had on my old bike, and my preferred bars/stem/saddle. Some Invisiframe, and Slik Graphics decals on forks and shock rounded it off.

Really happy with how it rides so far, and looking forward to sharing tuning and setup info.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181006_164508~3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	1219709

Name:	IMG_20181006_164756~2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	1219710

Name:	IMG_20181006_164543~2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	1219711

Name:	IMG_20181006_164838~2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	1219712

Name:	IMG_20181006_165006~2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	1219713
    Very nice....

I'm Melbourne based and haven't seen another Slayer out there yet...

I'm stock standard though on a 2017 750 MSL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northvanguy View Post
    Very nice....

I'm Melbourne based and haven't seen another Slayer out there yet...

I'm stock standard though on a 2017 750 MSL
    Thanks, I'm from Melbourne too and have only seen maybe 2 Slayers out in the wild! Altitudes seem to be much more common. I wonder if people worry about the Slayer being unsuitable for all-round use?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have sram with original one piece hanger. The new two piece that i have as a spare looks identical to the one piece minus the obvious nut change. Not sure why you're is different. Sram vs shimano shouldn't man's a difference either. Not sure what one they gave you.

chips & bier
    Working on the build slowly at the moment.... The next question pops up. I removed the shock to replace it with a DHX2 and discovered the Ride 4 chips are a less tight fit than those on my T-bolt and previous altitude. Is this okay? I seem to recall an earlier post where somebody actually has a problem with them....

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Mine are less tight than they were on my 16 altitude. I clean them occasionally and put some grease on the faces. Have yet to have a problem

chips & bier
    Cheers, thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm not the one who posted that, but mine is showing the same. A somewhat concerning amount of play. Regularly greased and torqued to spec.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwill View Post
    I'm not the one who posted that, but mine is showing the same. A somewhat concerning amount of play. Regularly greased and torqued to spec.
    What exactly are you greasing? The 4 facing sides against the frame or just the axle?

I've only ever adjusted mine once to set it at ride 1... I wonder if never touching it is better than servicing it.

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I figured it out. I had to take the little dogbone thing off the derailer . Now its is sweet.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    What exactly are you greasing? The 4 facing sides against the frame or just the axle?

I've only ever adjusted mine once to set it at ride 1... I wonder if never touching it is better than servicing it.

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk
    The pivot. Not sure why the inserts would need greasing? I take most of the pivots apart to clean them after riding mud or before a race (4 times this season). I've done this for years. Other than its maiden voyage, I've ridden it in the slackest setting. I ride it a fair bit (2-4 times a week) and it has seen about 15 resort days. Im a lightweight, still haven't bottomed out the suspension....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwill View Post
    I ride it a fair bit (2-4 times a week) and it has seen about 15 resort days. Im a lightweight, still haven't bottomed out the suspension....
    If yourve done all that riding and havent bottomed the bike then you have the suspension set too firm. You should bottom on your hardest regular hit.

PS Fox x2 travel doesnt extend to all the shaft length. So if you are baseing your non bottoming on the oring no reaching the end of the shaft you may well be bottoming and not know it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

chips & bier
    I think what's happening is that too much play allows the chips to rotate, especially in positions 2, 3 and 4. If the chips rotate the shock forces aren't distributed nicely along the flat sides of the chip, but end up on the rounded corners. This causes point loading and the carbon eventually locally deforms. That allows yet more rotation, making things worse. A loose thru-bolt, probably wouldn't help either.

I'm going to try and shim the less tight of the two shims (driveside) and assume it will be fine. Another solution for already somewhat damaged frames would be a Ride1 chip where the bolt hole is right in the center of the chip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    If yourve done all that riding and havent bottomed the bike then you have the suspension set too firm. You should bottom on your hardest regular hit.

PS Fox x2 travel doesnt extend to all the shaft length. So if you are baseing your non bottoming on the oring no reaching the end of the shaft you may well be bottoming and not know it!
    I haven't bottomed mine out by letting all the air out, but it has 65mm of stanchion under the o ring when the bike is at rest. Seems to me the ring would be pushed all the way to the end if I bottomed out during a ride.

chips & bier
    ...it has 65mm of stanchion under the o ring when the bike is at rest.
    I think Plummet is right. As far as I know, all Fox air shocks have about 2 mm of shaft that's never used. If you're measuring 65 mm from seal to o-ring you're getting max. travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hey guys Iím in the market for a slayer but Iím unsure about sizing (my local RMB dealer doesnít have a slayer for me to test). Iím 5í10Ē and wear a 30 inseam pant. I currently ride a 2015 kona Process 153 and it has 435mm of reach for a size medium. I checked rockyís Geo chart and it seems like the medium slayer is up to 10mm shorter and the large is at minimum 10mm longer than my processís reach. Any advice for what size to get? I do prefer a more flickable bike, so Iím leaning towards a medium unless someone strongly objects. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I think Plummet is right. As far as I know, all Fox air shocks have about 2 mm of shaft that's never used. If you're measuring 65 mm from seal to o-ring you're getting max. travel.
    Yep. 65mm is approximately to where the Kashima writing is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NubTubLub64 View Post
    Hey guys Iím in the market for a slayer but Iím unsure about sizing (my local RMB dealer doesnít have a slayer for me to test). Iím 5í10Ē and wear a 30 inseam pant. I currently ride a 2015 kona Process 153 and it has 435mm of reach for a size medium. I checked rockyís Geo chart and it seems like the medium slayer is up to 10mm shorter and the large is at minimum 10mm longer than my processís reach. Any advice for what size to get? I do prefer a more flickable bike, so Iím leaning towards a medium unless someone strongly objects. Thanks
    How many spacers did you run under the stem on the Process?

The Slayer has quite a tall head tube which reduces the need to run spacers compared to bikes which have shorter head tubes. Less spacers means less reduction of reach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm the same height and I've ridden medium Kona's which feel good and large Rocky's which also feel good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks for the replies guys. I ran 2 spacers under the bars of my kona. I spoke to a guy at the shop I bought the bike from and he said heís got a coworker, exact same dimensions as me who preferred the medium slayer over the large, so thatís what I went with! Canít wait for it to get here!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lillegutt View Post
    I'm around 78kg and probably around 82-84kg with gear and experimented with a DHX2 for a bit more than a week, so fresh first impressions are (the Fox calculator recommended a 450lbs so as to reach around 30% SAG when input 63% rear wheel bias):
    - 450lbs 2.75" SLS: no harsh bottom out but using full travel when huck to flat / 50cm-to-1m drops; felt like going through travel a touch too easily, and getting a touch too harsh when adding more compression damping to save some millimeters of travel; as well some bobbing when pedaling even on "climb switch"
    - 475lbs 2.75" SLS: kind of the same as above but a touch less often using all of the travel, and a touch less harsh; a touch better pedaling
    I am left wanting to try a 500lbs or 525lbs and see how it feels.

Note that I am running a PUSH ACS3 in a Fox 36 up front (green spring) and while the regular air sprung Fox 36 2018 felt harsher than the shock, it is now kind of the opposite: the shock feels harsher than the fork.

*edit*
    Additional note: the DHX2 does feel better on small bumps than the DPX2. The rear wheels tracks better and sticks more to the ground in situations where the DPX2 would have lost contact.
    However, the DHX2 tried with the above clearly lacks bottom out resistance, and the climb switch is not nearly as effective as the one on the DPX2.
    It feels like the DHX2 would feel much better with a tinkered shim stack to match better the leverage ratio curve of the Slayer.
    I just got a DHX2 for my Slayer. I weigh 168lbs with gear (76kgs). I've tried a 350lb, 400lb and 450lb spring and all bottom out as you indicated. I bottomed out each spring on a 4 to 5 foot drop to almost flat (slight transition). Did you ever try a 475lb or 500lb spring? Just curious what your thoughts were....

Also what were your settings like on the 450lb spring? I found when I had HSC at 18 clicks (from fully closed / counter clockwise), I could feel a difference when doing the drop.. less harsh on the landing, but bottom out bumper still being pushed all the way to the bottom. I opted to leave it at this setting, since I was trying to find the least amount of HSC dampening without a harsh bottom out. My LSC was set at 13 clicks from fully closed. HSR 0 clicks from fully closed, so fully damped and LSR at 7 clicks from fully damped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by caldog View Post
    Did you ever try a 475lb or 500lb spring? Just curious what your thoughts were....
    I settled on using the 475lbs with 0 turns preload. It gets me to the SAG and feeling I want.

Also what were your settings like on the 450lb spring?
    I use a firmer setting than before so as to smooth the ride (sounds counter-intuitive but you want to avoid riding a pogo stick going fast and deep into the travel on each bump).
    This also gets rid of the "blowing through the travel" issue.
    So I ended up with (clicks from fully closed) HSC:11 LSC:11 HSR:8 LSR:10.
    Maybe closing more your HSC (threshold at which the HS circuit opens) while leaving your LSC (steepness of the dampening curve) at its current setting would leave more time to the LS circuit for damping the impacts while still being smooth. I would try something like HSC:11-10 LSC:13-14.

mtbr member
    I just got a DHX2 for my Slayer. I weigh 168lbs with gear (76kgs). I've tried a 350lb, 400lb and 450lb spring and all bottom out as you indicated. I bottomed out each spring on a 4 to 5 foot drop to almost flat (slight transition). Did you ever try a 475lb or 500lb spring? Just curious what your thoughts were....

Also what were your settings like on the 450lb spring? I found when I had HSC at 18 clicks (from fully closed / counter clockwise), I could feel a difference when doing the drop.. less harsh on the landing, but bottom out bumper still being pushed all the way to the bottom. I opted to leave it at this setting, since I was trying to find the least amount of HSC dampening without a harsh bottom out. My LSC was set at 13 clicks from fully closed. HSR 0 clicks from fully closed, so fully damped and LSR at 7 clicks from fully damped.
    What I came to realise when I had a coil shock on my old bike, is that just because the bumpstop is pushed to the bottom doesn't necessarily mean the suspension bottomed out. The bumpstop compresses once it makes contact with the shock.

This does make it hard to accurately gauge how much travel is actually being used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    because the bumpstop is pushed to the bottom doesn't necessarily mean the suspension bottomed out. The bumpstop compresses once it makes contact with the shock.
    +1
    The bottom out bumper is part of the travel. On the DHX2 it is about 1cm thick which means that, depending on the leverage ratio of the bike at end of travel (around 2.3-2.1 for the Slayer), the last 3 to 4cm of travel are used on the bumper.

This does make it hard to accurately gauge how much travel is actually being used.
    One can put a rubber band on the shaft (or use the bottom out bumper as you did) and ride a trail where no excessive usage of the shock stroke should happen, say a track you know usually uses at max 3/4 of the travel and check that the rubber band does not exceed those 3/4. Very approximative but easy to achieve.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and ride a medium. I like it! I've tried it with a 50mm stem and 33mm stem. 50mm stem gives more alround performance, 33mm stem is more dh orientated with lighter front end on the climbs but adding to the sweetness of the downs.

Note that i do prefer a short bike by todays standards. if you like chuckable throwable then i recon medium and play round with stem length to get that compromise between up and down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    5'11 you could easily ride a large too with a short stem. Playing with the ride 4 makes a big difference too. I'm over 6'1 and ride xl with a 32mm stem full stack and 790mm bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    5'11 you could easily ride a large too with a short stem. Playing with the ride 4 makes a big difference too. I'm over 6'1 and ride xl with a 32mm stem full stack and 790mm bars.

Is this directed at me?

If so, yeah, nah!

I dont want to go longer WB or TT length. Medium is good. I do a light of tight natural mountain trails and want more agility than stability.

PS i'm running 180mm up front, so slightly more slacked out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Is the 2018 slayer size small has no water cage mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Final-Limit View Post
    Is the 2018 slayer size small has no water cage mount?
    They all have bottle mounts. But in the small youll struggle to use it. In my medium I can only just fit a 500ml bottle with a side entry cage.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Hi guys,

I've known this thread for a long time, back then when i was "considering" a slayer as my new bike.
    Thanks everyone for the info you've shared in here, it helped me to make my decision and i do not regret it! I ride my slayer for a few months now. So far so good, but i do have a little issue with chain slap.

The picture shows that the "slapping area" is really extended (arrow to arrow). Is that normal ?
    Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181215_182652.jpg

Is my chain too long (see picture, where i'm on the biggest cog) ?
    Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181215_182752.jpg

Cheers !
    Thanks in advance,
    Damien

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

No music needed for a vid like this. The sounds of the bike and wheels made this video. Curious if the sounds were "real" of if they were added in post production? Either way, it is stellar.
    *2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom Build*
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    No music needed for a vid like this. The sounds of the bike and wheels made this video. Curious if the sounds were "real" of if they were added in post production? Either way, it is stellar.

I'm guessing they have an onboard mic which is external to th camera. Sometimes they fit it right near the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien_Fr View Post
    Hi guys,

I've known this thread for a long time, back then when i was "considering" a slayer as my new bike.
    Thanks everyone for the info you've shared in here, it helped me to make my decision and i do not regret it! I ride my slayer for a few months now. So far so good, but i do have a little issue with chain slap.

The picture shows that the "slapping area" is really extended (arrow to arrow). Is that normal ?

Name:	IMG_20181215_182652.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	1229152

Is my chain too long (see picture, where i'm on the biggest cog) ?

Name:	IMG_20181215_182752.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	1229153

Cheers !
    Thanks in advance,
    Damien
    Bit hard to tell but if you calculate the perfect theoretical chain length you can usually go up to 1 link shorter (two half links) , since you won't ever bottom out in 1st gear. I did this and was able to reduce my chain length by 1 link which helps reduce chain slap.

Also the factory chainstay guard is inadequate. I added a layer of mastic tape along the bottom edge and a couple of sections of v-belt along the top. Has helped a lot.

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20181027_161251.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    i see guys r running 180 forks on the slayer. anyone try the 37 mm offset?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thank you very much for answering me Tek, i'll try to shorten my chain then

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone got a rubber piece where their dropper housing enters the seat tube on their bike? I tried the spares RM sent me but none fit the hole right near the rear shock.

When I hose bike down etc clearly getting water and whatever else down there.

I've also gone a OneUp dropper so the housing moves around....

Just looking to see what others have and did the bike come with it?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Anyone got a rubber piece where their dropper housing enters the seat tube on their bike? I tried the spares RM sent me but none fit the hole right near the rear shock.

When I hose bike down etc clearly getting water and whatever else down there.

I've also gone a OneUp dropper so the housing moves around....

Just looking to see what others have and did the bike come with it?

Cheers
    Yeah mine had a rubber stopper to seal this area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah mine had a rubber stopper to seal this area.
    Hmm alright. Good to know.

I tried one of the large rubber bits that's intended for near the headtube and it wouldn't stay in place....

mtbr member
    Hmm alright. Good to know.

I tried one of the large rubber bits that's intended for near the headtube and it wouldn't stay in place....
    You could easily mould one using Sugru and Vaseline

mtbr member
    I got my Slayer up for sale if you guys know anyone
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2488715/

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    So I purchased a DHX2 with a coil from a bike shop in USA to send to a buddy that lives there but is going to bring it to me in NZ soon. There was no option to choose the Spring Sizes but I told him I wanted 475lbs. He sent a 3 inch stroke sls coil and I said, shouldnt it be a 2.75 spring? He said that one would fit fine and showed me a Fox chart that showed it fit. Can anyone see why this might be worse than a 2.75 or if it wouldnt fit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NzRadcore View Post
    So I purchased a DHX2 with a coil from a bike shop in USA to send to a buddy that lives there but is going to bring it to me in NZ soon. There was no option to choose the Spring Sizes but I told him I wanted 475lbs. He sent a 3 inch stroke sls coil and I said, shouldnt it be a 2.75 spring? He said that one would fit fine and showed me a Fox chart that showed it fit. Can anyone see why this might be worse than a 2.75 or if it wouldnt fit?
    Assuming the spring is not so long that it won't fit even when the preload collar is bottomed out... you might need to pre-compress the spring slightly to get the end plate clipped in.

The way I do it is either stand on the spring to compress it slightly then get a helper to strap down a few coils with thick zip ties. Or, if you have a big enough vice then do the same but only need one person.

That, and you are carrying extra weight from an unnecessarily long spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I run a 3 inch spring on mine. No problems at all. Obviously slightly heavier but otherwise good to go 👍

chips & bier
    Is there any consensus (yet) on spring rate for a Slayer + DHX2?

I'm currently running 425 lbs for 165 lbs body weight (without pack), giving 27% sag. It's fine with the local trails in swamp mode, but I'm wondering if I'm going to blow through the last 3rd of travel once things dry and the speeds pick up.

FWIW I spent a lot of time using calculators and searching the interwebs. All the calculators give me at least 25 lbs/in lower rates. The closest comparison I found in terms of rider size and trails ridden is Flo Nicolai. Granted I don't ride at his speed, but a similar rider weight-to-spring-rate-ratio would put me at 475 lbs/in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Does anyone had problems with Rocky Mountain wheel building ? It seems that my Slayer 90 2018 (Mk3, "WTB 1.8-1.6" spokes) has too short spokes so that the tension relies on the nipples' shoulders and they break.

While riding flat dust road near home just for training, i broke a spoke nipple yesterday. It broke just under the lip so on top of having to get the tire off and replace the sealant, and rim tape, i had to extract the nipple head that was stuck inside the rim.
    Well, guess what ? today i broke two more, same story, not even riding downhill or proper enduro.

Should i change all the nipples ?
    Did you experience that ?

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-sans-titre-3.jpg

Found this info on internet:
    Rocky Mountain Slayer!-nipple-thread.jpg

mtbr member
    Definitely too short by a couple of mm. Also the other issue is they use aluminium nipples.

At a minimum change to all brass nipples. Better yet rebuild with correct length spokes and brass nipples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Eric - How did shimming the Ride4 Chip work out? I am starting to notice a little play in mine as well and thought your shimming solution made a lot of sense before the frame gets destroyed.

Rocky Mountain Slayer! Forum - Hello all. I'm new to this forum and to the Slayer. Just picked mine up Fall 2018 after falling in love with it at the 2016 Outerbike Moab, UT. Because there aren't any dealers in CT, I got lucky and bought a very lightly used 2018 C50 (acid rain/raining blood) from a RM sponsored enduro racer in VT who got injured before he could even ride for them (feel bad for the kid and hope he gets back on the saddle soon!). Hope to learn a lot from you guys in your Slayer experiences and also contribute with anything that I learn along the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Slayer!-burning-christmas-calories.jpg  

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowmaniac View Post
    Eric - How did shimming the Ride4 Chip work out? I am starting to notice a little play in mine as well and thought your shimming solution made a lot of sense before the frame gets destroyed.
    I ended up putting a layer of Bison metal-epoxy on all four edges of the Ride4 chips, then sanding them down *really* carefully until they were a quite tight fit. I can hardly move them out by hand. This glue is very hard when it cures so I figured it would withstand any compressive forces sufficiently. So far it seems okay - I'm removing the shock soon for a coil swap and will post back if I discover anything odd.

This all said: next time around I would probably go for the epoxy solution again, but lay down a layer on one side at a time and then machine (rather than sand) the cured layer to size. Would save a lot of time ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Guys, does anyone know where to find a kind of "setup guide" for Slayer ? Like to what tire size the frame has clearance for, which SAG we should use ...

I know the "ship-4" guide is there : http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/f..._English_1.pdf)

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Looking for opinions. I'm from flatland country and have a Giant Trance 2 as my daily driver. I'm considering a 2nd rig for a 2 week holiday in BC where I will be doing a mixture of trail, shuttling, and bike parks (fernie and silverstar). (will be an annual trip and i can get to BC 1 or 2 other long weekends a year) Considering a rocky slayer demo unit (has 10-12 rides on it) for $2000 less than a 2019 unit and $1000 less than a never used holdover 2018. I think I can justify the cost for the amount of use IF I use it in a bike park the 2-4 days year (as opposed to renting a proper DH) and use it as a trail bike some of the days where a trail bike is maybe just as good. Is a Slayer going to be more than adequate in a bike park or should I just rent for park days and make do with a trail bike every other day. Please tell me to buy it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You will definitely have fun in the bike parks on the slayer. I have ridden one at Whistler and sliver star and had a blast. It's even more fun on the trails outside the park. I would definitely buy one if I were you. The demo unit sounds like a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I rode my slayer back to back with my DH bike at silver star for comparison. I actually much preferred my slayer. Lighter, pop pier and actually cleared the jump trails better. It was fine in the more rugged trails there too. Almost made me consider buying a second slayer and building it for dh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The slayer is a riot no doubt, but if weíre speaking in terms of practicality in your case, it will most likely be cheaper for you to just rent when youíre in BC. Not only will you have to buy the Slayer, youíll also need to buy a bike bag and then pay baggage fees to get the bike there. Now if you were to sell the Trance and get the Slayer as a 1 bike quiver that would make a lot more sense. It will probably be way more bike than you need in the flatlands even in the steepest setting, but when has excess ever been a problem? ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm driving with it, not flying. And I have a Trance 2 as a daily driver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    In that case if you have the means then go for it. Thereís nothing like riding your own bike at the park, and the slayer is more than capable. It was designed with the north shore in mind after all

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I ended up putting a layer of Bison metal-epoxy on all four edges of the Ride4 chips, then sanding them down *really* carefully until they were a quite tight fit. I can hardly move them out by hand. This glue is very hard when it cures so I figured it would withstand any compressive forces sufficiently. So far it seems okay - I'm removing the shock soon for a coil swap and will post back if I discover anything odd.

This all said: next time around I would probably go for the epoxy solution again, but lay down a layer on one side at a time and then machine (rather than sand) the cured layer to size. Would save a lot of time ;-)
    Thanks for the response. I actually ended up using the PPA plastic shim stock to get a nice tight fit (all I needed was 0.010"). I'll let you know how well that works over time. Look forward to learning about your experience after your coil conversion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Guys, does anyone know where to find a kind of "setup guide" for Slayer ? Like to what tire size the frame has clearance for, which SAG we should use ...

I know the "ship-4" guide is there : http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/f..._English_1.pdf)

Thanks !
    I simply followed shock setup guides since RM claims to have implemented "Size Specific Tuning", where they added tokens into the shocks and forks based on frame size and average rider weights in those sizes. Start there and then dial in.

As for tire size, anything bigger than 2.5, you might as well be rollin' a fattie

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks Chowmaniac, but you didn't get my point. It's about having it ALL listed in one sheet (this was not just about those two characteristics i listed as an example, but also spoke length, bottom bracket type, seat post diam. etc ... )

Anyway, i found what i needed and i'm sure some will enjoy to have
    - Slayer Exploded View.pdf
    - Slayer Tech Manual.pdf
    - 2018 Spoke Lenght.xlsx
    - 2018 Critical Dimensions.xlsx
    - 2017_Ride4_Slayer_Fr.pdf
    all available here : https://www.chrissports.ch/en-us/roc...tain_techinfos

In case the link becomes broken, i downloaded them all so just ask and i'll upload

Cheers !

mtbr member
    Yeah, loving my Slayer for dh, it's faster on my local dh trails than my rig in all but the stupidest gnarly sections.
    But I have just found it's limit. You may be able hit dh lines on the Slayer. But it's not as strong if you stuff it up. I've just cracked mine on the top tube by over clearing a jump and crashing hard.... Bummer.

That said I will get a replacement frame and keep riding. I'll just be aware that at the top end I should be on the rig rather than the light weight Slayer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, loving my Slayer for dh, it's faster on my local dh trails than my rig in all but the stupidest gnarly sections.
    But I have just found it's limit. You may be able hit dh lines on the Slayer. But it's not as strong if you stuff it up. I've just cracked mine on the top tube by over clearing a jump and crashing hard.... Bummer.

That said I will get a replacement frame and keep riding. I'll just be aware that at the top end I should be on the rig rather than the light weight Slayer.
    Pictures or it didn't happen! Haha!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Let's face it the Slayer is the best bike I have ever owned.
    I've pushed it too hard into hitting new big stuff first up without practicing it on the rig first to get the speed dailed.

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-0-02-07-250e8a30869f62247096c6bddfc17a7028a15ec6e24250a24d5682fb0fd1927c_39e7aecc.jpg

MarkyMark
    That's legit. Thanks for not saying "I was just riding along..." and blaming the frame.

Let's face it the Slayer is the best bike I have ever owned.
    I've pushed it too hard into hitting new big stuff first up without practicing it on the rig first to get the speed dailed.

Name:	0-02-07-250e8a30869f62247096c6bddfc17a7028a15ec6e24250a24d5682fb0fd1927c_39e7aecc.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	1244060

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks Chowmaniac, but you didn't get my point. It's about having it ALL listed in one sheet (this was not just about those two characteristics i listed as an example, but also spoke length, bottom bracket type, seat post diam. etc ... )

Anyway, i found what i needed and i'm sure some will enjoy to have
    - Slayer Exploded View.pdf
    - Slayer Tech Manual.pdf
    - 2018 Spoke Lenght.xlsx
    - 2018 Critical Dimensions.xlsx
    - 2017_Ride4_Slayer_Fr.pdf
    all available here : https://www.chrissports.ch/en-us/roc...tain_techinfos

In case the link becomes broken, i downloaded them all so just ask and i'll upload

Cheers !
    Thanks for forwarding this information! And sorry for misinterpreting your request.

mtbr member
    What we have to take away from this is that the slayer is light. Trail bike light. Its lighter than all of my buddies enduro/trail bikes. Its built for a fun time not a long time.
    Even though it can hit the big stuff just be wary that it might not handle those stuff ups and hard crashes that a rig would get away with.

I'll still be taking the next Slayer frame into the gnar. However i'll leave the drop out of the sky real hard landing stuff and be practicing the hell out of any new big lines and dialing them on my rig before i take the slayer to them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Any speculation about a Slayer update soon? It's been out 3 years now hasn't it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    What we have to take away from this is that the slayer is light. Trail bike light. Its lighter than all of my buddies enduro/trail bikes. Its built for a fun time not a long time.
    Even though it can hit the big stuff just be wary that it might not handle those stuff ups and hard crashes that a rig would get away with.

I'll still be taking the next Slayer frame into the gnar. However i'll leave the drop out of the sky real hard landing stuff and be practicing the hell out of any new big lines and dialing them on my rig before i take the slayer to them.
    Awh man, Sorry for you loss! Hopefully you didn't hurt yourself in the process. Happy to hear that you're staying true to the Slayer and getting another frame... but does this mean that RM will have to categorize the Slayer back to Enduro / All Mountain instead of Big Mountain?!?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Its built for a fun time not a long time.
    I disagree with this statement. I've had my slayer for 2.5 years now and have done so much dumb shit on it it's not funny! Shows signs of wear and tear but no cracks to be seen.

Yours was a direct hit to the top tube with something substantial yeah?

mtbr member
    No. The top tube didn't hit anything. I over cleared a big step up by a big margin and came in nose heavy and crashed over the bars. It's the hard nose landing that has caused and extension failure of the carbon top tube.

mtbr member
    May 2008

We need to separate marketing from reality. The slayer is really no different than other 160ish travel carbon frames in regards to durability. 6.5 to 7lbs carbon frames should have similar durability regardless of whether they are marketed as AM, Enduro, big mountain.... It's not like the slayer is reinforced in areas other carbon frames in the enduro/AM class aren't. In fact Rocky states that their pipelock design lets them cut weight in the front triangle which means more aggressive butting. It's likely the crack in the pictures is right where there's an aggressive tapper.

As motorheads say, there's no replacement for displacement. Just as we can't expect a sub 1000g tire to hold air like DH casings, we can't expect a sub 7lbs carbon frame to be as durable as a DH frame. That said many of us will find the slayer to be 100% bombproof, but to be real about things, the frame is no more duable than any given 160mm carbon frame regardless of whether it's marketed as AM, enduro, big mountain...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    We need to separate marketing from reality. The slayer is really no different than other 160ish travel carbon frames in regards to durability. 6.5 to 7lbs carbon frames should have similar durability regardless of whether they are marketed as AM, Enduro, big mountain.... It's not like the slayer is reinforced in areas other carbon frames in the enduro/AM class aren't. In fact Rocky states that their pipelock design lets them cut weight in the front triangle which means more aggressive butting. It's likely the crack in the pictures is right where there's an aggressive tapper.

As motorheads say, there's no replacement for displacement. Just as we can't expect a sub 1000g tire to hold air like DH casings, we can't expect a sub 7lbs carbon frame to be as durable as a DH frame. That said many of us will find the slayer to be 100% bombproof, but to be real about things, the frame is no more duable than any given 160mm carbon frame regardless of whether it's marketed as AM, enduro, big mountain...
    I agree, and i want that lightness. I want a light weight big hitter so I can do more gnar with it.
    However because the Slayer is So capable you are tempted and do ride it on DH features at DH speeds more so than what you would on your standard 140/160 am bike.

So you can apply more loading to the frame than usual am/enduro riding.

I have no doubt that the slayer can withstand hard out riding. I have ridden it HARD.

Its just that line that has big consiquences if you stuff up. Reconsider that line. If you have the skill to pull it off every time then go for it. If you are on the fence maybe hit up on a rig a few times first.

This is what i used to do before I got the Slayer. I would cut my teeth on the rig, get the line dialled then hit it on the am bike. That worked a treat for years. Then i started hitting new stuff first up on the Slayer because its so damn capable....

29ers Forever
    Is there any speculation of an alloy Slayer in the works?
    I think it would be a smart move for Rocky to take.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    New shock mounted. MRP Hazzard with progressive coil.

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img-1136.jpg

BTW - Has anyone removed the main pivot bearings? (the one right above the crank). I tried both with a bearing press and with blind bearing remover and had to give up because I was afraid of breaking the frame. I got one of the bearing to move maybe 1-2mm but could not get it further out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdunder View Post

Name:	IMG-1136.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	1246050

BTW - Has anyone removed the main pivot bearings? (the one right above the crank). I tried both with a bearing press and with blind bearing remover and had to give up because I was afraid of breaking the frame. I got one of the bearing to move maybe 1-2mm but could not get it further out.
    I had the same issue. I gave up because the bearings felt good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    And how does that hazard feel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Pull the trigger on a size medium instinct BC edition! Iím 5í8.5Ē tall. The size felt nice just sitting on the bike in the store. Hopefully itís not too cramped! I have short legs with a 30 inch inseam. Currently on a large Orbea Rallon And while it is an awesome bike itís just a little too big for me. The wheel base on that bike is 1217 MM and reach is I think 455 or so. The shorter wheelbase and reach will be OK with my size I think. Despite more of your travel in the same front travel as my current bike, I have heard the instinct BC is more on the trail side Of things versus Rallon. I also think that will be great to maybe have a little better climbing in the maneuverability in the corners.

Question I am going to use my fox 36 44 MM offset and I know the instinct comes with 51 MM offset. Do you think this will cause any issues? Iíve heard fork offset not really noticeable for most riders. Donít want to be bothered with buying a new fork and selling my old one unless itís noticeable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Mods please delete above post wrong thread I posted in instinct thread now thanks

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowmaniac View Post
    Thanks for the response. I actually ended up using the PPA plastic shim stock to get a nice tight fit (all I needed was 0.010"). I'll let you know how well that works over time. Look forward to learning about your experience after your coil conversion.
    I finally just swapped coils after quite some miles and a few pretty miserable landings and so far so good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Considering downsizing to a 28T Chainring and 11-40 Cassette for more ground clearance and still maintain stock ratios (32T & 11-46). Any comments regarding potential effects on anti-squat? I think it'll have little to no effect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I finally just swapped coils after quite some miles and a few pretty miserable landings and so far so good.
    Thanks for the follow up. I thought my PPA shim stock was working well, but I'm starting to develop a creak when I crank, though. I suspect its either the ride4 chip or the top shock pivot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Just confirmed the crank creek, it was the BB an not the PPA shim or top shock pivot. Plastic shims are holding up.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pathdunder View Post

Name:	IMG-1136.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	1246050

I just replaced all the pivot bearings on my slayer. The main pivot was fairly easy to remove for me, though I did have to tighten it quite a bit. (I used a press and extraction kit for the slayer from bearing pro tools)

Anyway, if you do get them out, there's a little pipe inside that presses against each bearing. Getting that lined up when pressing the new bearings in was a challenge for me. I ended up wrapping part of the threaded rod in tape so that it was tight on that pipe. This kept the pipe in place as I pressed the bearings in.

mtbr member
    Well I fixed my cracked frame and also bought a replacement Slayer on special.

So I have an interested opportunity to test Rockshox built Slayer and Fox built Slayer. Note The Lyric is set as 170mm the fox i have set as 180mm

Yesterday i rode them back to back with a buddy. I set them up with the same tyres, same pressure, same shock sag settings.

Old Slayer had a heavier wheel set, heavier handlebars, was running tubes, and had extra weight due to the repair. Old Slayer is 14.6kg. New Slayer light, wheels, bars and tubeless 13.4kg.

So given that there was a weight difference i didnt compare there climbing ability.

So, What i noticed setting up the rear debonair shock was that it didnt only had rebound and then 3 position climb switch. I dialled it as well as i could but wanted for more adjustment. The Lyric at rebound and compression dampening, but not high and low speed.
    My fox Slayer option has high and low speed adjustment on both ends,

On the trail hitting the first gnarly down, fox slayer felt more in control going fast other the roots. The mid range support felt better. RockShox Slayer felt a bit more fidgety. Leveling out on the flat going over small bumps the Lyric out performed the fox 36 for small bump compliance. However the X2 out performed the debonair for small bump performance.

Doing a drop to full bottom out both bikes felt similar.

Running down super steep both bikes went well, the extra 10mm of travel from the fox 36 slack the bike out a little more making it slightly easier on the super steep.

Climb assist functions on the Rockshox made longer climbs easier. But i remember why i dont use lock outs as i blew down the next flight of stairs in lock out mode..... Doh!

My conclusion is that Rockshox slayer is slightly better for pedalling and general riding with climb switches and fox slayer is slighty better for ultra gnar. Lyric and 36 were pretty damn close, Lyric better at small bump, fox better in the mid range. X2 wins the rear end battle as I can set it up exactly to my taste, Debonair i could not tune it too be supple enough offer the midrange support the x2 does.

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20190420_145855.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Slayer!-img_20190420_151909.jpg

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678