Rocky Mountain Slayer! - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    So any news on the 29er Slayer update? I heard there was a sneaky photo getting about?
    Its going to be polarizing... Its nothing like the current Slayer other than the name... Horizontal Shock for one. 180mm travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I've used the IL on a number of bikes and like it quite a bit. I prefer coils on all my bikes that's why the "need". Do you have another coil shock that you'd recommend?
    All I mean is that I'd consider the regular db coil Cs over the inline if it will 100% fit... Don't think you'd have an issue as these guys fit the fox X2 easy which afaik is the thiccest shock on the market

As for the 2020 slayer.... the 29er version will probably not be 180mm unlike what the previous poster has said. Otherwise I wouldn't say it's polarizing, more like the logical progression from the current one. Visually different maybe, but the two/suspension will make sense!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    As for the 2020 slayer.... the 29er version will probably not be 180mm unlike what the previous poster has said. Otherwise I wouldn't say it's polarizing, more like the logical progression from the current one. Visually different maybe, but the two/suspension will make sense!
    Polarizing amongst current slayer owners I would say. Its a new look. Im not a fan...
    180mm 27.5 and 170mm for the 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    All I mean is that I'd consider the regular db coil Cs over the inline if it will 100% fit... Don't think you'd have an issue as these guys fit the fox X2 easy which afaik is the thiccest shock on the market

That makes sense. I did call Cane Creek to inquire about the Inline, and they said the Inline does not come in the length needed for the Slayer, and that the DB Coil CS would be a better choice over the Inline. I know the Fox DHX2 is a popular coil for the Slayer as well. Just trying to cover all the bases before I pull the trigger on a coil shock.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXJIM View Post
    Polarizing amongst current slayer owners I would say. Its a new look. Im not a fan...
    Any pics or knowledge of a release date?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXJIM View Post
    You have our attention. Pics?

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty2019 View Post
    Any pics or knowledge of a release date?
    I'd guess late July into August we will learn more about it. That's when Rocky tends to release their brand new stuff. I don't want to make anyone break embargoes on it. I'm excited to see what it's like, but I'll be patient.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    We might see something sooner, I have heard nothing official but I think we might see something coinciding with bike parks opening... I can't imagine they'll launch their season without bikes as they got rid of all of their maidens last year AFAIK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Catalouge photo I saw looked like they have gone back to the reddish/grey colorway which was probably the least favourite of all the 17+ colors, horizontal mounted shock under the top tube and some weird looking brace behind the headtube that completley ruins the clean lines the current model is renowned for. Guess we'll see when its officially released.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Photo was posted here yesterday for an hour or 2 - looks just like an Enduro now. Meh....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Looks aside I'm not a fan of the current Slayer, yeah it looks great and is a good park bike but I feel like there's faster bikes. If they make it uglier but faster I'm keen, less antisquat too please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Looks aside I'm not a fan of the current Slayer, yeah it looks great and is a good park bike but I feel like there's faster bikes. If they make it uglier but faster I'm keen, less antisquat too please.
    Not the fastest. All party though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

29ers Forever
    Iím guessing it will be an evolution of the Pipedream concept...
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by thebradjohns View Post
    Catalouge photo I saw looked like they have gone back to the reddish/grey colorway which was probably the least favourite of all the 17+ colors, horizontal mounted shock under the top tube and some weird looking brace behind the headtube that completley ruins the clean lines the current model is renowned for. Guess we'll see when its officially released.
    There might be a reason why they're putting that "weird looking brace" behind the headtube. I've loved my slayer, and have only had it for 11 months. Took it to the bike park this past weekend and stuffed the front end in a g-out transition from a roller/drop and... well the pics speak louder than words. I've love this bike and it was definitely my one bike quiver from local techy XC to steep gnar at the the bike park.

Sadly, I literally booked a mid August Peru bike trip... Hopefully I can work something out with rocky on a replacement frame because this bike would make this trip unforgettable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Slayer!-crack-1.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-crack-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Ouch, sorry to see that man. You might be right on the reasoning behind the new design. Mine cracked at the exact same spot. No heavy crashes involved. Luckily RM/LBS warrantied it. Took about 5 weeks to get a new front triangle. Paint was weak on the new frame so I just ended up selling getting a new bike. Hopefully they come through for you though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey Everyone - So I am pretty confident I won't be getting a replacement slayer frame in time for my trip to Cusco, Peru. Have any of you rented bikes in Peru that can suggest a place? I really don't want to be stuck riding my 2015 Heckler or circa 2010 or older bikes that I found at rental places so far.

Thanks for your help!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Iím guessing it will be an evolution of the Pipedream concept...
    They could take my money if they released the Pipedream...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    They could take my money if they released the Pipedream...
    Whilst a Rocky Pipedream would be awesome (I'd grab one if they did, still have my 2004 Rocky Switch though ride an Instinct A50 these days), cant really see a modern carbon fibre slayer being ditched for a retro aluminum bike as would be a reasonably limited market. In saying that, hope there is an alloy version of whatever the new slayer is as well like they do with all the other models.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by charger32 View Post
    Whilst a Rocky Pipedream would be awesome (I'd grab one if they did, still have my 2004 Rocky Switch though ride an Instinct A50 these days), cant really see a modern carbon fibre slayer being ditched for a retro aluminum bike as would be a reasonably limited market. In saying that, hope there is an alloy version of whatever the new slayer is as well like they do with all the other models.
    Whatever it is, I hope it's released soon. I think it's gonna be a great bike.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone have any experience with the Alex Volar rims on the C30?

How does the Slayer compare to a Reign?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowmaniac View Post
    There might be a reason why they're putting that "weird looking brace" behind the headtube. I've loved my slayer, and have only had it for 11 months. Took it to the bike park this past weekend and stuffed the front end in a g-out transition from a roller/drop and... well the pics speak louder than words. I've love this bike and it was definitely my one bike quiver from local techy XC to steep gnar at the the bike park.

Sadly, I literally booked a mid August Peru bike trip... Hopefully I can work something out with rocky on a replacement frame because this bike would make this trip unforgettable.
    That can be repaired. Find carbon guru and he will be able to slap some more layers on. Search my threads for a write up on how I repaired mine.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charger32 View Post
    Yeah unfortunately everyone wants plastic bikes... I tried a Nomad and loved the bike but hated worrying about the frame. I'm on a Canfield Balance now and worry free.

Rocky always promised a metal slayer but it never did come to fruition.
    Seems like you need to go full Euro to get something awesome and aluminum nowadays.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the 2018 jersey... Looks so much better. Not a fan of the grey jersey...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    Yeah unfortunately everyone wants plastic bikes... I tried a Nomad and loved the bike but hated worrying about the frame. I'm on a Canfield Balance now and worry free.

Rocky always promised a metal slayer but it never did come to fruition.
    Seems like you need to go full Euro to get something awesome and aluminum nowadays.
    After cracking my Instinct frame I'm not sure about a carbon Slayer, probably would go for an aluminium one if it was an option

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Alex Volar rims on the C30?

They are POOOOP! Soft as butter. Its actually embarrassing they put these on an "Enduro" bike :-/

The Slayer blows the Reign away, especially climbing!
    Dollar for dollar the reign is way better spec'd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    2020 Instinct and Altitude and various other bikes are now up on the RM website, but 2020 Slayer and Maiden not up there yet.

Anyone have any evidence of the 2020 being 29 and wildly different etc?

Have seen several other companies move to 180mm forked 27.5s for next year, marketing back to freeride or park or whatever (yeti, diamondback at least 2 i've seen lately). I was really hoping for just updates and improvements to the Slayer. The idea of a 160/170 enduro focused but decent climbing thing was where I'm at.

Might be looking elsewhere, like a Patrol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Buy my slayer so I can buy my a Katipo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rynogee View Post
    2020 Instinct and Altitude and various other bikes are now up on the RM website, but 2020 Slayer and Maiden not up there yet.

Anyone have any evidence of the 2020 being 29 and wildly different etc?

Have seen several other companies move to 180mm forked 27.5s for next year, marketing back to freeride or park or whatever (yeti, diamondback at least 2 i've seen lately). I was really hoping for just updates and improvements to the Slayer. The idea of a 160/170 enduro focused but decent climbing thing was where I'm at.

Might be looking elsewhere, like a Patrol.
    Pictures keep popping up but are then removed from the site. Makes sense as Rocky doesn't want their reveal spoiled.

With their team riding Instinct BCs, they had to rebrand the slayer into their "Big Mountain" category. The current Slayer isn't a world cup level enduro bike. For me, that's totally fine. I have a 2018 C90 that I found on clearance earlier this year. It's an amazing bike. It's a sweet spot for me of insane capability downhill, fun & playful and yet climbs really, really well. Great at the bike park, but also on longer trail rides where things might get crazy.

I've been on Rocky's for over ten years now. I even have an old Rocky road bike. I really liked how they positioned the Slayer. My fear is that they are changing it back to be the enduro focused bike.

Maybe look at the Altitude. That's a solid bike as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
    Pictures keep popping up but are then removed from the site. Makes sense as Rocky doesn't want their reveal spoiled.

With their team riding Instinct BCs, they had to rebrand the slayer into their "Big Mountain" category. The current Slayer isn't a world cup level enduro bike. For me, that's totally fine. I have a 2018 C90 that I found on clearance earlier this year. It's an amazing bike. It's a sweet spot for me of insane capability downhill, fun & playful and yet climbs really, really well. Great at the bike park, but also on longer trail rides where things might get crazy.

I've been on Rocky's for over ten years now. I even have an old Rocky road bike. I really liked how they positioned the Slayer. My fear is that they are changing it back to be the enduro focused bike.

Maybe look at the Altitude. That's a solid bike as well.
    yeah I have a 2016 altitude and want to get something a bit more capable. a little bit slacker with a bit more travel. Have demo'd a couple of 29er enduro bikes and don't really get it. Doesn't work that well for my size in that style of riding. I had an element and fine with 29er for xc. Not sure if it's possible to upsize the fork and shock stroke on an altitude to get more travel. Guess that's why I was looking at other brands, but everyone's ditching development in their 27.5 bikes it seems. Either that or just wait longer till the fad is over.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yeah I have a 2016 altitude and want to get something a bit more capable. a little bit slacker with a bit more travel. Have demo'd a couple of 29er enduro bikes and don't really get it. Doesn't work that well for my size in that style of riding. I had an element and fine with 29er for xc. Not sure if it's possible to upsize the fork and shock stroke on an altitude to get more travel. Guess that's why I was looking at other brands, but everyone's ditching development in their 27.5 bikes it seems. Either that or just wait longer till the fad is over.
    Just rode my 2018 at Snow Summit in Big Bear yesterday for the first time. Simply amazing... Why not just get the 2019 model? Seems to have all your requirements. Downhill like a beast on fun wheels but can also climb so suitable for longer trail days...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I wouldn't worry about the new slayer being too focused on being an Enduro race bike. Time and time again you see pro riders reaching for the slightly lower travel bikes in their company's lineup. I don't think a lot of the racers actually want to race on 170/180mm bikes. I think the new one is supposed to slot in to "big mountain" still because there is no maiden anymore.

Imo the current platform would be excellent for the guy who's asking about it and the altitude. I've seen some really, really good deals on 2019s on various shop floors right now because they know when the new one is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Mine is 31.5 for the Medium

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    [QUOTE=rynogee;14234749Not sure if it's possible to upsize the fork and shock stroke on an altitude to get more travel. [/QUOTE]

Very possible and works very well on the current model altitude, give Slayer travel on a lighter platform with a bit less antisquat.

Cactus Cuddler
    I wouldn't worry about the new slayer being too focused on being an Enduro race bike. Time and time again you see pro riders reaching for the slightly lower travel bikes in their company's lineup. I don't think a lot of the racers actually want to race on 170/180mm bikes. I think the new one is supposed to slot in to "big mountain" still because there is no maiden anymore.

Imo the current platform would be excellent for the guy who's asking about it and the altitude. I've seen some really, really good deals on 2019s on various shop floors right now because they know when the new one is coming.
    I'd say that's pretty solid understanding of the quandary RM find themselves in - the outgoing Slayer was a phenomenal bike in terms of versatility, and anybody with gnarly lift-served terrain who had space for just one bike, that was basically the best answer possible.

If they're still going for that same spot in the market, but trying to make it more on-trend with 29er BroDuro over-biked setups but keep the same poppy and reactive pedaling characteristics, then I think there's serious potential to make it excellent.

The real issue they have is that a BC Edition Instinct is already a hilarioulsy capable bike - I've got an long-shock long-fork one that has gradually been converted to full carbon in XXL, and the stupid thing can handle everything short Dh tracks without really being out of place, and for the kind of riding I do it's really excellent.

The problem that creates for a 'Slayer-29' template bike is that the pedaling performance target is going to be the BC Instinct, but downhill performance they're targeting is going to be a notch below where the maiden was, and making that happen is going to be tough. I think they can pull that off, but it gets a lot harder as a product line manager to figure out what parts spec really makes the most sense - maybe not so much on the full bling version (Fox36 GRiP2, DHX2-Air, X01/CodeUltimate), but trying to keep it at the 70/50 price points with that same massive breadth of performance is a challenging exercise.

ups and downs
    They've released a teaser/trailer, starring the EWS team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioDFNcolmI
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    If they're still going for that same spot in the market, but trying to make it more on-trend with 29er BroDuro over-biked setups but keep the same poppy and reactive pedaling characteristics, then I think there's serious potential to make it excellent.

The real issue they have is that a BC Edition Instinct is already a hilarioulsy capable bike - I've got an long-shock long-fork one that has gradually been converted to full carbon in XXL, and the stupid thing can handle everything short Dh tracks without really being out of place, and for the kind of riding I do it's really excellent.

The problem that creates for a 'Slayer-29' template bike is that the pedaling performance target is going to be the BC Instinct, but downhill performance they're targeting is going to be a notch below where the maiden was, and making that happen is going to be tough. I think they can pull that off, but it gets a lot harder as a product line manager to figure out what parts spec really makes the most sense - maybe not so much on the full bling version (Fox36 GRiP2, DHX2-Air, X01/CodeUltimate), but trying to keep it at the 70/50 price points with that same massive breadth of performance is a challenging exercise.

Who's to say the new Slayer won't be offered in both wheel sizes? I think the BC Instinct and slayer will have room for each other in each lineup, much like the Altitude and old slayer both had room, despite the geometry overlap.

While the BC Instinct is certainly their enduro bike, I feel like the suspension curve/platform is going to keep it relevant next to the slayer. Its crazy because outside of super tech climbs, I think most people have a hard time noticing the difference in suspension on the ups between it and the regular instinct (holding tires/bars at a constant).

A lot of these enduro race bikes just feel like a lot of bike. The sweet thing about the instinct is that the BC edition just doesn't unless you want/need it to. I'm sure you won't be able to say that about the new slayer, and despite being one of (if not the-) best 170mm bikes on the market, I don't think it was fully fair to say of the old platform either.

TBH I think the downhill performance of the 29 version of the slayer will be at par or above the maiden. well, maybe if you chucked a set of boxxer 29's on it anyway. The Maiden was far from a DH race bike. I understand the difficulty of the product manager job though, and personally I really hope they offer some options with air shocks rather than coil-only across the lineup. I'm just not sure how a 30/50 level bike with no lockout or compression adjustments on a coil would do outside of being a dedicated park set up. I know it's a rocky so it will pedal close to best in class, but I still remember the days of seeing people drag fully open, un-dampened Norco Truaxes around our pedal trails.

PS- do you mean you converted a regular instinct in to a BC edition or you put an EVEN LONGER fork and shock on a BC edition? Haha

Cactus Cuddler
    PS- do you mean you converted a regular instinct in to a BC edition or you put an EVEN LONGER fork and shock on a BC edition? Haha
    I've had mine as high as 160/146mm travel, and as low as 150/127mm.
    Suspension performance is more of a quality > quantity exercise, but I am convinced that a 160/140mm 29er with the naturally 'poppy' response of the outgoing Slayer would be a truly phenomenal bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I've had mine as high as 160/146mm travel, and as low as 150/127mm.
    Suspension performance is more of a quality > quantity exercise, but I am convinced that a 160/140mm 29er with the naturally 'poppy' response of the outgoing Slayer would be a truly phenomenal bike.
    what do you think are the 'but buzz' implications of running a shorter travel rear end on 29er enduro bikes? My experience of the longer travel 29ers I've demod was unpleasant for the feeling that the wheel is always right there up your arse (for shorter folks like me anyway) compromising manoeuvrability.

If you have less travel, does this change at all? or its more just a question of how steep trails are and how far back you are trying to get given the terrain?

I'm not sure if this is part of the reason there seem to be a lot of (or at least some) 29er enduro bikes with a bigger travel difference between front and rear, as you've suggested would be optimal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    OK so I guess I'm derailing from "slayer talk" but oh well. I'm convinced that the regular instinct uses its travel better in 140mm than 155mm (although I haven't tried as many rear shocks as you have). I'm going to build one up with a 150 or 160mm fork, an angleset, and 140mm out back. I won't be using the slackest position on ride-9. Probably somewhere around the middle.

@rynogee, I'm not sure how you figure you'd get more "butt buzz" on a shorter travel RR 29er? Of my current fleet of 29ers the only one that I occasionally get butt buzz on is my Aurum HSP. I had to compensate by going more weight forward, even on steep trails (which was and still is extra spooky, but the bike works well ridden that way). I'm also rather tall so that could be the difference, and have been riding 29ers as my 'main' wheel size for all types of riding since 2014/15.

I think that people like big fork/small back because as tehllama says, quality over quantity. Additionally, I think 29er wheels really help iron out a lot of trail chatter, so in general you simply NEED less when compared to a relatively similar bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I've seen a couple posts about how people hate the antisquat in the current slayer and hope the new one has less. I don't know if I agree... I think that's what makes this bike so awesome when it comes to climbing. I've riddin Ibis' HD4 and the new Ripmo and they climb like trash in comparison to my slayer and I'm set at 180F / 165R suspension. My humble opinion is that the antisquat is what made this bike a great park and trail bike. Thoughts? How has anitsquat hurt your riding?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ssorry to clarify, i was wondering if you'd get less butt buzz on a shorter travel 29er, because it's not moving as far

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've seen a couple posts about how people hate the antisquat in the current slayer and hope the new one has less. I don't know if I agree... I think that's what makes this bike so awesome when it comes to climbing. I've riddin Ibis' HD4 and the new Ripmo and they climb like trash in comparison to my slayer and I'm set at 180F / 165R suspension. My humble opinion is that the antisquat is what made this bike a great park and trail bike. Thoughts? How has anitsquat hurt your riding?
    I think the high level of anti-squat is what makes it great. I can ride this bike all day and then crush the downhill.

Cactus Cuddler
    One of the most unique things about the current Slayer is that its higher AS% doesn't seem to negatively affect the downhill performance in chundery terrain, which is usually where other bikes really suffer. Net result is impressive climbing prowess, lively pedaling response, and still feeling like it wants you to throw it down the steepest terrain you can find.

As for the butt buzz - I'm 6'2", so any instance where I'm interested in 3" of margin for my dangly bits, I need to be riding differently, so it's mostly a non-issue. With enough reach, it's intended to be ridden with weight on the front wheel, or else a brief encounter with the center knobs of the rear tire is the least of my worries.

I do think the bigger travel delta (I run 1" difference currently) can be conditionally excellent, especially if you're using it as more of an all-mountain rig where you want the get-out-of-jail capability on a lot of fork. 140mm for a do-everything bike is great, but I think a Slayer29 setup that natively runs more travel and uses it the way an Instinct uses its travel would be an amazing big-mountain bike.... and likely why they're holding out for a particularly large unveil. It probably won't be the perfect bike for everything, but be exceptionally good at anything, and still have that same party piece of pedaling feel like a lighter and more agile bike, but still be a proper bomber on descents.

mtbr member
    You guys realize that when you post leaked photos, youíre wrecking the hard work of employees at rocky? Keep it to yourself or be more low key about it.

mtbr member
    Thank you BB. 8 months of carefully orchestrated chaos out the window...
    Director of Product
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM View Post
    When is the release date of the 2020 model?

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Vertex jr 24 for my kids, fingers crossed it is before ski season and I can get them out on them before. Really stoked by your bikes from what I have seen in the 2020's on the website.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Higher antisquat is fine if you have the feet/ankles/legs to handle it in the really rough chatter. I'm either not that good or I ride rougher terrain to the point that I don't desire that much antisquat on a bike I see as primarily for riding down fast. I have an XC bike for climbing, on an enduro bike I'll get to the top when I get there.

The one bike quiver is a lie.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My understanding is that anti-squat is really only relevant while pedaling. If you're bombing downhill, is it really a factor? My Slayer is definitely very active on the way down.

This guy has some amazing suspension tech videos, there is even one on the current slayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0bAVTiFyy4

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM View Post
    Rocky only works on bikes for 8 months confirmed

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Bandito View Post
    You guys realize that when you post leaked photos, youíre wrecking the hard work of employees at rocky? Keep it to yourself or be more low key about it.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rocky-...tler-2019.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My understanding is that anti-squat is really only relevant while pedaling.
    Your understanding is wrong. High antisquat can cause pedal rise.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Your understanding is wrong. High antisquat can cause pedal rise.
    Could you elaborate on that? What is pedal rise? What forces are at work?

29ers Forever
    The new Slayer is posted to the Rocky Mountain site.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

poser Administrator
    Could you elaborate on that? What is pedal rise? What forces are at work?
    antisquat can cause your pedals to kick back up towards your leading foot and away from your trailing foot, this can cause your body position to change. I had a high pivot santa cruz bullit and while it drove the wheel into the ground during climbing at higher speeds over large square edge bumps and off drops it kicked back against my leading foot causing some issues for staying with the bike and in balance, especially on unexpected hits.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    antisquat can cause your pedals to kick back up towards your leading foot and away from your trailing foot, this can cause your body position to change. I had a high pivot santa cruz bullit and while it drove the wheel into the ground during climbing at higher speeds over large square edge bumps and off drops it kicked back against my leading foot causing some issues for staying with the bike and in balance, especially on unexpected hits.
    Gotcha. I guess I don't really notice since I'm clipped in and am probably just moving with the pedals anyway. If there is any movement on the Slayer it must be pretty small...

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    What's up with the radio silence?!?! Is nobody stoked about the new slayer?!?! I'm lovin that gun metal aluminum frame and that top tube truss has the sexiest welds. I think this is going to be a great bike and the 90% - 100% antisquat at sag is going to make it a more than capable climber...again! Great review and comparison to previous slayer design.

https://theloamwolf.com/2019/08/13/2...freeride-back/

BTW, I finally experienced the kickback on the previous slayer this past weekend to such a degree that I thought it was slowing me down on some really choppy descents. If anyone has suggestions in suspension setup or geometry setup (ride4) to help minimize, I am open to suggestions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Everyone got distracted by the enduro release that came an hour later. Conspiracy!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's up with the radio silence?!?! Is nobody stoked about the new slayer?!?! I'm lovin that gun metal aluminum frame and that top tube truss has the sexiest welds. I think this is going to be a great bike and the 90% - 100% antisquat at sag is going to make it a more than capable climber...again! Great review and comparison to previous slayer design.

https://theloamwolf.com/2019/08/13/2...freeride-back/

BTW, I finally experienced the kickback on the previous slayer this past weekend to such a degree that I thought it was slowing me down on some really choppy descents. If anyone has suggestions in suspension setup or geometry setup (ride4) to help minimize, I am open to suggestions.
    I'm feeling a little bummed. I think if you go back and watch the reviews of the '17, it was widely praised and now to sell the new model, it's harsh, the anti-squat is too high, it's on 27.5, etc. I feel like it's being thrown under the bus.

My '18 Slayer is the best bike I've ever owned. I think Rocky accidentally made a bike that is as close to the "one bike quiver" as anyone ever has. Long fire road climb, check. Super technical climbing, check, bike park, check. All day in the saddle, check. Want some airtime, check.

I run 30% sag at the back and full steep. Rebound is pretty high to make it through the braking bumps on flow.

The new one doesn't excite me. I run my Slayer in the steepest setting to bring out the best climbing ability. The steepest setting on the new one isn't as steep as the slackest on the old. The seat angle on the new one makes my Kestrel Tri Bike look tame. Forward seat angles aid "spinning" not climbing. I think it's going to be a hard bike to put the power down and keep the front end under control at the same time. Oh, it's also 33+ pounds...

The new Slayer is a fine bike park bike but it wasn't designed with me in mind. That's okay, I'm sure the folks it's for will enjoy it. It's just not me.

mtbr member
    I'm feeling a little bummed. I think if you go back and watch the reviews of the '17, it was widely praised and now to sell the new model, it's harsh, the anti-squat is too high, it's on 27.5, etc. I feel like it's being thrown under the bus.

My '18 Slayer is the best bike I've ever owned. I think Rocky accidentally made a bike that is as close to the "one bike quiver" as anyone ever has. Long fire road climb, check. Super technical climbing, check, bike park, check. All day in the saddle, check. Want some airtime, check.

I run 30% sag at the back and full steep. Rebound is pretty high to make it through the braking bumps on flow.

The new one doesn't excite me. I run my Slayer in the steepest setting to bring out the best climbing ability. The steepest setting on the new one isn't as steep as the slackest on the old. The seat angle on the new one makes my Kestrel Tri Bike look tame. Forward seat angles aid "spinning" not climbing. I think it's going to be a hard bike to put the power down and keep the front end under control at the same time. Oh, it's also 33+ pounds...

The new Slayer is a fine bike park bike but it wasn't designed with me in mind. That's okay, I'm sure the folks it's for will enjoy it. It's just not me.
    I have to admit the new slayer looks like a very enduro race specific bike. Spin between sections, kill it like a single crown DH bike, then spin it to the next section.

That said I'd love to try both back to back. The older slayer seemed right up my alley, if that was the direction I wanted to go. The newer bike appeals to me from an enduro racing point of view, which considering Rocky puts out a pretty competent enduro team, I an not surprised about that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Definitely not an enduro race bike. They're marketing it as a big mountain freeride bike. Peddle to the top maybe, looks more like a shuttle/peddle of 80/20. The BC instinct is the race unit. If you liked the old Slayer the new one will be right up your alley.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Everyone got distracted by the enduro release that came an hour later. Conspiracy!
    Enduro? What's that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm running an xl slayer that weighs in at 31lbs even with pedals. As cool as the new one might sound, $10500 for a bike coming in at 33 to 34blbs for a medium? I guess get rid of the double downs. The aluminum comes in at 38 lbs! Fire roads and shuttle. I bet it hammers through the crud though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pimp Bro Dude View Post
    If you liked the old Slayer the new one will be right up your alley.
    I'll ride one at a bike park demo day to check it out, but I'm pretty sure it's a completely different style bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I must be the only one who really got long well with the 2017 slayer? I did find that with the air shock it was a little hectic for me, so put the coil on which brought balance back to it.
    I honestly never noticed the issues these video reviewers are talking about with it..

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    I must be the only one who really got long well with the 2017 slayer? I did find that with the air shock it was a little hectic for me, so put the coil on which brought balance back to it.
    I honestly never noticed the issues these video reviewers are talking about with it..
    Agreed, added grip2. Going to switch to a coil rear and u bet it will be Prefect. And all my riding is AB/BC.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm still running the FIT4 and DPX2. I added the MRP cartridge and run a bit lower than recommended pressure on the front. Also upgraded the rear hub to a 54 tooth ratchet. I've done quite a bit of tuning to get it how I like it. Rebound is pretty high which I find takes care of keeping the bike planted through nasty stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl3 View Post
    I loved mine too, I wont lie it took a whole season to get it to a point where is felt "Dialed" though... and even then I did find it harsh on small bump stuff. The thing climbed awesome for a big bike, and it felt more composed the faster you went.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    will be interesting to see if the enduro team choose it though. They never seem to choose the 'enduro' marketed bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    will be interesting to see if the enduro team choose it though. They never seem to choose the 'enduro' marketed bike.
    They won't

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    can you post your thoughts here when you do?

i'm not sure i agree that if you like the old slayer you'll like the new one, they look like pretty different bikes to me, especially because of the big difference in anti-squat

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    there's a PB first look and stack of commentary here also

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...in-slayer.html

it would be helpful to try and separate out the change in wheel size issues from the change in bike design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I find it funny all the bleating about weight on a bike primarily designed to crush the downs. Get an XC bike if you love to smash Strava on the way up. Meanwhile the antisquat is still pretty high in the climbing gears but falls away in the descending gears (gladly). https://www.instagram.com/p/B1G9XFdH...=1i302f0a1frri

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    or.... get an altitude or instinct! You can build them plenty light. The griping is nuts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think you're missing the point a bit. While the previous Slayer was designed to go downhill, it is surprisingly capable for the uphill work too. That makes it an ideal all day bike for those that have great downhills but have to climb to get there. It's not just a bike park bike. Adding three pounds to the weight of the bike does make quite a difference for long uphills. That's all anyone is saying.

The new bike is fine, it's just a different direction. It's clearly trying to make up for the gap left by the Maiden. I would bet that at my local bike park it would be a blast.

Having ridden the Altitude as well. I would say that the Slayer climbs at about 85% of the Altitude and the Altitude descends at 70% of the Slayer. Just personal preference as to which is more fun.

mtbr member
    Well. I'm glad I recently bought a replacement old slayer rather than holding out for the new. The bike has gone more park bike than all day smasher. Not what I want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    To everyone knocking the new slayer, I too am hesitant, but I am holding out my judgment until I demo. I get frustrated when I hear people say that the previous model "climbed well for a big bike". No... it climbed well...period. I KOM local trails on that thing just like any XC rider. And then I can go to the park and have a blast there too. I do worry, but look at Pole... more travel and more slack does not necessarily equal Park Only. one of my buddies is a testament to that. He rode the BC Bike Race on his Pole this year and embarrassed a lot of spandex hardtails. All, I'm saying is give it a shot before you knock it based off of numbers alone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Any of you guys run a cane creek double barrel air on your slayer ('17-'19)? I was always a big fan of the shock on my Ibis and upgraded to a slayer in June. Currently running the performance X2 and just playing around with the idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Well guys and gals, it finally happened. Anyone know where I can get a replacement left seat stay?

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-dbfade0c-f078-4c7b-b301-4a3829675918.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    can anyone tell me what headset is used on the 27.5 Slayer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NubTubLub64 View Post
    Well guys and gals, it finally happened. Anyone know where I can get a replacement left seat stay?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBFADE0C-F078-4C7B-B301-4A3829675918.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	1277683
    your rocky dealer

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Imho4ep View Post
    can anyone tell me what headset is used on the 27.5 Slayer?
    FSA Orbit NO.57E

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    sorry I meant what size headset, is it a zs 44/56 then?

Off the back...
    sorry I meant what size headset, is it a zs 44/56 then?
    Yup.
    Zero stack for tapered headtube with ID of 44 and 56mm.
    SHIS ZS44/28.6 (36x45) | ZS56/39.78 (36x45).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Yup.
    Zero stack for tapered headtube with ID of 44 and 56mm.
    SHIS ZS44/28.6 (36x45) | ZS56/39.78 (36x45).
    Ok perfect thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    does RM list the max insertion lengths for dropper posts anywhere, i'm trying to figure if the 210mm or even the 180mm OneUp will fit the 2019 Slayer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    does RM list the max insertion lengths for dropper posts anywhere, i'm trying to figure if the 210mm or even the 180mm OneUp will fit the 2019 Slayer.
    I've got the 210mm in my 2017 XL slayer all the way down and seems to function perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awesome, good to hear, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by northvanguy View Post
    I've got the 210mm in my 2017 XL slayer all the way down and seems to function perfectly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Where do I buy this slayer water bottle?!?!

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/wp-conten...yer-2020-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Selling my 2020 C70 Slayer frame, axle, bottom bracket. Small chip in paint under bb. $2350 shipped.
    Last edited by AaronJobe; 10-26-2019 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    a friend got a nice shot of me riding the Horsethief bench hike-a-bike (well, as far as I rode it, I did not clean the whole thing ;-) ) thought I'd throw it up here.

I also wanted to ask what the latest and greatest is on the bound axle issue? I just realized my hanger bolt/reverse threaded axle nut is stripped at its 6mm hole! did they improve that and can it be retrofitted when replacing it?

Thanks in advance...

Rocky Mountain Slayer!-fruita-horsethief.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yep, the 2019 hanger/nut assembly is much better. We more or less auto-replace to the new one on a lot of bikes.

mtbr member
    by "we" do you mean your shop? Or do you work for/wih RM? I would love to get the upgrade as a warranty situation ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I mean shop.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone know what size lower shock mounting bushing hardware i need for a rockshox on my 2019 Slayer? I have the upper one with the bearings already.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Speaking of bearings, were you guys able to access the bearings of the front hub (from rocky mountain on my Slayer 2018) ?
    Mine are behind a washer that i cant' pop out, like they usually do ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    PLEASE ADVISE - MTB in Poland or Trans Alp

Hi all - I'm planning a trip to Poland this summer for a family wedding and I am considering packing my '18 Slayer along for the ride. Anyone out there ride in Poland or do a Trans Alp tour that they would recommend?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Just so everyone knows :

Unbranded front hubs from RM Slayer 2018 (90) are novatec hubs, and according to their service client, they are NOT serviceable ...

"Your D711sb-b15 is one way hub ( Single-purpose ) and we do not have in stock so I can not check, but I think on your hub are side caps permanently pressed in. If you will try remove side caps by power you will damage side caps."

Thanks RM ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345