Rocky Mountain Growler X-Small too much bike for tall 10-year old?- Mtbr.com
    Some guy
    Jul 2007

Rocky Mountain Growler X-Small too much bike for tall 10-year old?

My young lad is now in an Adult XS size. In the local MTB program he has been riding an X-Small Norco Storm 27.5 and it fits him well. An X-Small Rocky Mountain Growler is available used locally for a decent price. Would this be too beefy/heavy a bike for a 10-year old? I feel the plus tires would give him more confidence on rough terrain but the extra weight/rolling resistance would make him have to work harder which wouldn't be ideal for encouraging him. Anybody have any thoughts on the Growler for a kid?

ups and downs
    It's considerably slacker than the Storm, 67deg instead of the 68.75deg of the XS Storm, and with the 50mm longer wheelbase and the fairly ponderous + tires, it won't be a sprightly ride. It might not be the weight as much as the need to get up on the bars and manhandle it to get it to turn in the twisties that is a bit of a turnoff.

I have a Growler as a diversion bike and something that will survive being locked up outside the deli or pub, and it takes a lot more effort to ride than my Thunderbolt. Maybe just get a fatter 2.4 or 2.5 front tire for the Storm so it has more float over the rough stuff.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Alternately you could swap it to 2.6 tires front and back for a nice compromise.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    It's considerably slacker than the Storm, 67deg instead of the 68.75deg of the XS Storm, and with the 50mm longer wheelbase and the fairly ponderous + tires, it won't be a sprightly ride. It might not be the weight as much as the need to get up on the bars and manhandle it to get it to turn in the twisties that is a bit of a turnoff.

I have a Growler as a diversion bike and something that will survive being locked up outside the deli or pub, and it takes a lot more effort to ride than my Thunderbolt. Maybe just get a fatter 2.4 or 2.5 front tire for the Storm so it has more float over the rough stuff.
    Thanks for the input. I decided to go the more conventional route and picked him up a Giant Talon 2 that I got new for a pretty good price. We've only been out a few times but it seems to be doing the job quite nicely so far.