Recent Rocky bikes front shock mount knocking - help diagnose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Recent Rocky bikes front shock mount knocking - help diagnose

My Instinct C70 has had a knocking ever since it was new and I've traced it to the front shock mount. I can put my fingers in that area and feel it moving around (and hear it knocking) when I lift the bike off the ground.

At first I thought it was because the Fox shock eyelet bushing was out of tolerance based on what I read on mtbr, but after I bought a new set of bushings, I realized the bushing ID is probably where it should be at 8.03mm (using digital calipers). I then took a look at the shock bolt OD and it measures 7.94mm, which I'm guessing is smaller than it's supposed to be.

Can I ask someone to measure their front shock bolt OD just so I can verify that my shock bolt OD is smaller than it's supposed to be (and know what the "correct" OD is)? It should be the same bolt used across all recent Instincts, Altitudes, Thunderbolts models... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Mines 7.94 as well and I have no noise. I suspect yours may not be tight enough or there is some other problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Interesting, thanks. I did use a torque wrench to tighten to 70in-lbs as per spec. Mine is clearly moving around though - it makes sense given the .1mm clearance between the bolt OD and bushing ID. It's more of a mystery why yours isn't moving and knocking like mine.